Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 I've got free books, How do I mail them?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic I've got free books, How do I mail them? Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  09:39:01 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I'm taking a deep breath and getting rid of most of my precious heap of Christmas books. I don't use them and they are taking up too much space in my tiny home. What I don't understand is how the please pay for shipping thing works. Do I ship them and ask for postage after the fact? Do I find out how much shipping will cost and ask for it first? I'm on disability and sadly can't afford to ship the heavy things

Give a farmgirl a bit of advice please, I know some of you are long term pro swap divas. HELP!

I'll have to ship them UPS because it's the only place that I can get to easily. I'll have to see if this is even feasible due to transportation issues, but I wanted to ask.

Thankies

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Edited by - Annika on May 09 2013 09:40:28 AM

tammyc
True Blue Farmgirl

698 Posts

Tammy
Danville California
USA
698 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  09:43:05 AM  Show Profile
Annika, I would find out how much the shipping charges would be and have the recipient pay you via Paypal. It's quick and easy. I don't know how many books you are sending, but they have flat rate Priority Mail boxes at the post office. I think the shipping for a large flat rate box is about 15.00

Shipping heavy things can be quite expensive, so I would make sure you are reimbursed for shipping costs before you send the books.

"Be who you are and say what you like because the people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  09:54:07 AM  Show Profile
A while ago I was burned really bad with Paypal. They some how accidentally cancelled my account, then when they fixed that they didn't reimburse me the over $200. Soo I'm kind of shaky on trust with them I'll see what I can do though, thanks! I REALLY want the books to go to appreciative new homes!

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7638 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7638 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  1:06:22 PM  Show Profile
Annika
check to see what the charges would be for Media mail also. It might be cheaper it is also slower.
Flat rate is good if it is far enough away. Check also on the distance because sometimes it is cheaper to go regular mail.
hugs
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9392 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9392 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  1:10:44 PM  Show Profile
Media mail is cheap and you can get tracking on them now but I don't know if you can get insurance. With media mail they are allowed to open packages to make sure it is media. I lost a book that way but the person sending to me was kind enough to send me another. But it is the cheaper way to go unless you are sending a large amount then I would go priority. Usually the person will send you postage first then you send out the books or whatever.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

tammyc
True Blue Farmgirl

698 Posts

Tammy
Danville California
USA
698 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  4:27:34 PM  Show Profile
Media mail is cheap, however, it takes forever!!! If I were the recipient of your books I would rather pay for priority shipping, but I guess you could leave it up to them whether they would rather pay more and have the books faster. I have ordered things from Amazon that were sent via media mail and I will never do it again. Sorry about your paypal experience....I guess I'm lucky because I've never had a problem with them.

"Be who you are and say what you like because the people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  5:08:42 PM  Show Profile
Put them in a box and tell them you want to ship books. They have a rate for shipping books only. Don't close it because they will want to see. Most of the time it is cheaper that way, and tell them you want cheap rate. Most people don't know that if you tell them you want the cheap rate it is cheaper. Most people just go with the rate that is stated. I would try that first. Hope this helps.

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  5:22:28 PM  Show Profile
media mail is the cheapest.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  5:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Media mail is the least expensive, but it does take longer. Just in case you don't know it, you can't ship MAGAZINES via Media Mail because they have advertising in them. Books you can.

But I would certainly offer the shipping options to whoever you send to, let them choose the method and cost. However, I would tell them that you must receive the postage before you can ship. If they want them bad enough they'll get it out to you in a timely manner.
Hope that helps!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic I've got free books, How do I mail them? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page