MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  9:19:32 PM  Show Profile
I have a bunch of chestnuts that I don't know what to do with. They are already roasted, and I like the flavor of them, but the texture is a little ick. I was thinking that I could cook with them, so I was seeing if any one on here might know what else I can do with them other than decorate:)
Thanks
Cristine

Today well-lived makes every yesterday a fream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope. --Sanskrit Proverb

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  05:11:06 AM  Show Profile
Many years ago I had creamy, thick, chestnut soup at Marshall Fields in Chicago around Christmas-time. I don't have a recipe, but you could probably find one online. Macys bought Fields, so maybe the recipe would be available for the public now, but I don't know how you would go about getting it!
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  12:08:06 PM  Show Profile

CREAM OF CHESTNUTS

1 pint chestnuts
1 pint milk or white stock
1 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg

Remove the shells from the chestnuts, then cover with boiling water, let them stand five minutes; drain, and cover again with boiling water, and blanch them by removing the thin brown skin. Cook them in boiling salted water to cover, until very soft. Mash them with a wooden potato masher, in the water left in the pan, and rub them thorough a fine strainer into the milk or stock and cream.

Heat again and let it simmer ten minutes, add salt and pepper to taste, add a little sugar if you desire. Remove from the fire and stir in the beaten egg quickly and serve at once. If the soup be too thick add more hot milk, and if too thin, before adding the egg let it reduce by longer simmering. Serve with toasted or fried croutons
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  08:50:55 AM  Show Profile
Chestnut Stuffing is simple-- you can just mix some into your favorite bread stuffing recipe.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  10:40:06 PM  Show Profile
Chestnut stuffing in our Thanksgiving turkey was a staple when I was growing up. My dad had the job of boiling them to soften the shell and then peeling them. Mom would always start with a cubed sage and onion stuffing, add sauteed onion and celery, some salt and pepper and the chestnuts. It was my favorite part of the meal!!!

Jana
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Chestnut Recipes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page