Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Solar Cooking - Any Tips and Recipes To Share?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Solar Cooking - Any Tips and Recipes To Share? Next Topic
Page: of 3

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  6:39:52 PM  Show Profile
I have tried my solor oven twice. The first day we had clouds and sun on and off. I didn't think my chicken was even going to cook. But you know what it did. I put it on about 10:30 and took it out by 4:45 and it was falling of the bone and this was a whole chicken. I couldn't believe it I could have taken it out sooner.I had chicken in the one pot and potatoes and carrots in another pot underneath it. Mind you you have to adjust it to follow the sun every so often but it really worked.

Today I made spagetti and meatballs. I made the meat balls which I would normally brown on the stove and make a big mess. I put them in a red dutch oven that I sprayed with pam and put the meat balls in and put the lid on. They cooked about 2 1/2 and I looked at them and they were more than done and brown on the top. I added homemade spagetti sauce that I canned last year and let it cook about 2 more hrs and it was super good and all the mess was in one pot!!! I made the noodles in the house.

I had trouble keeping temps up because it would get moisture inside the glass so I wiped it off every so often and shut the lid fast and I also called the company and they told me to put a toothpick in the upper right hand part of the door so a little steam could vent through the gasket and this would help.Its seemed like when the glass steamed up all the way it was blocking the suns ability to heat the oven as good.Once I wiped it off and kept the toothpick in the temps. went right back up. So anyway thought I would share my expience. Its kinda crazy how it works but it does work.
Its been super hot and humid the past 2 days and it was great not heating the house up and making it worse. I don't know what else to try that would work as well as these 2 meals but I am looking for more things to cook in it. I think its gonna be a long hot muggy summer.Anybody have some really good recipes or things they have done please share I am all ears.
Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on May 21 2013 6:40:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  05:40:25 AM  Show Profile
Oooooh!!! YAY!!! I'm so happy you're enjoying it, Linda!!! Isn't it fun? I love what you did with the meatballs! I'm going to have to try that! I usually do precook mine in the oven, too, but didn't think about cooking them in the sun oven the way you did - you are one smart cookie! (The meatballs I used in the sun oven were ones I had pre-made and frozen. I just popped them in the sauce and let them cook for a couple of hours - YUM!) I am so glad you called and posted about the condensation. I hadn't thought much of it, to be honest, but what you're saying does make sense! Next sunny day, I'm going to try the toothpick and see if the oven gets even hotter! THANK YOU!!!

I definitely think, though that it helps a lot if you adjust the oven every half hour or so.

I also want to mention that putting any thicker cut of frozen meat in the sun oven will probably take much longer to cook. I had used frozen chicken breasts, but they were thin and boneless, and usually cook rather quickly in the regular oven. I'm sorry, girls, I forgot to mention that. If you're going to cook a much thicker piece of meat, then it might take a LOT longer. You might consider it similar to slow-cooking a thick cut of frozen meat in the crock pot. ALSO, I'm not sure if you all know this or not, but the reason why it's usually recommended that we thaw meats before cooking them (in the oven, on the stove, on the grill, in the sun-oven, ANYWHERE), it's because when you cook frozen meat, as the water in the meat melts, it actually "steams" the meat, so your cooking process is a lot different, and your meat can be a lot tougher. That's why if you're going to use a thicker cut of frozen meat, you're probably going to want to slow cook it all day until tender.

Linda - when you did the small chicken, did you use the lid on top? Did it fit in the pan? I am hoping to try that next, and wasn't sure if it would fit. I guess I could always use foil to cover it, with the shiny part down. I've been looking for smaller roasters, too, but haven't found much out there. Also, have you tried setting the oven early in the day to the position where the sun will be at noon and letting the food cook all day? I haven't. I've been a little nervous about doing that because adjustment with the sun seems to be very important when trying to cook in a "normal" or "close-to-normal" period of time. They claim it works, though. I'm probably going to try it one day this summer, but would really like to hear if you've tried it!

I will be going through recipes next week, so I'll try to post some then. My niece graduated from high school, and when she and I were talking about things she'd like to have for college, she said, "Your recipes!" Isn't she the sweetest thing?! What a good kid! So, I'm trying to make a nice little cookbook for her with some of our family favorites (including some from my mother-in-law, her grandmother). When I start going through them, I will share!!! Please share yours, too, okay?

Have a great day, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on May 23 2013 05:44:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  09:25:19 AM  Show Profile
Hey Nini good to hear from you. I did put in a whole chicken it was about 3 1/2 lbs and I did cook it with the lid on the domed dark lid. It did brown on the top too. I agree with you repositioning every 30 minutes is crucial to keep the heat up.

I put in a thick roast yesterday to bbq it but had to finish on the grill cause it got cloudy and then it rained off and on the rest of the day.I was determined too cook outside no matter what yesterday. I put it in frozen and had to put it on the grill after 3 hours because the sun wasn't there but it was cooked all the way but I wanted it to be more tender so I could shread it for sandwiches. But that was less time it had too cook in the house heating it up in here.It took about 2 hours on super low on the grill to finish so it was all good.

I am looking forward to tried and true recipes to make in the sun oven. Anyone have any I am all ears and will share any that I try. I bought some corn on the cob today to try this weekend if its sunny.I read cooking it the husk in the sun oven is perfect for this. I can't wait to try this.

Take care everyone.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on May 23 2013 09:26:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  09:09:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls! Linda - you know, Lisa actually clued me in to the fact that the little holes on the square "door knobs" on the glass help you align the sun. Well, I've got food out there cooking right now, and she was totally right! (You ROCK, Lisa! Thank you!) Anyhow, I've been maintaining about a 325 degree heat - and it's 48 degrees out at noontime! I'll be darned!!!

Today I've got baked rice and apples cooking in the bottom pan, with frozen chicken breasts atop frozen mixed veggies in the top pan. For the rice and apples, I quartered and cored three apples, then sliced them thin lengthwise. Then I added a little lemon, a little butter, and some cinnamon with a mix of brown and white sugar to taste, and a sprinkling of salt (kind of like you'd do with apple pie, only less sugar and no flour). Then I added 2 cups of brown rice and only 3
cups of water. You need less water when using the sun oven, and I figured since the apples have so much water in them, that 3 cups should be okay. We'll see! Then I mixed the whole thing well and put the second pan on top. In that, I placed the mixed veggies with a sprinkling of garlic powder and onion powder. I placed three frozen boneless chicken breasts on top and then sprinkled those with a little garlic powder, a little pepper and a very light sprinkle of salt. Popped the lid on top and placed it in the solar oven. If I can manage to keep the temp up (I'm going to try the toothpick as soon as I see moisture, and I'm going to keep the hole perfectly centered on the handle), it should be done in only a couple of hours. I can't wait to see how it goes! :)

Well - off to the garden! Happy day, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on May 26 2013 07:31:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  10:47:27 AM  Show Profile
Here's an online radio broadcast you all may be interested in @solar ovens, etc.
http://radio.thesurvivalmom.com/real-food-living-episode-7-solar-cooking-and-the-new-sun-oven-part-2/

If the link doesn't work, you may have to subscribe to the site, which is free and LOADED with all kinds of other info.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  12:16:53 PM  Show Profile
I had my first full day of sun that I was home, & did a chicken. Put a barely thawed out chicken, with carrots, onion, celery and garlic underneath. Stuffed the chicken with lemon, rosemary, thyme and bay. Rubbed olive oil, kosher salt & cracked pepper. Put it out about 1. Got the temps up to over 300, but we had occasional clouds. It still never dropped below like 225. About 5 or so, I looked in & it was done for sure, but we eat LATE! The top was browned & I got the idea to glaze it. I have some spicy marmalade that I canned with some tabasco peppers, so I put that glaze on. About 7 I took it in & covered with towels & put in the oven. It was so tender & tasty, & produced quite a bit of broth. I was hoping to do ribs today, but it is quite cloudy.
I know the chicken was done before I brought it in, but they say you can't burn food in it, so I knew it should be ok. & I've been munching on it all day. YUM!
Glad to see you back Nini!!!!Your dinner sounds great. Is there any transfer of taste from one pot to the next??

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  12:58:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to have to check that out this weekend, Ann! Thank you!!! I love the Survival Mom book - so much great information and many good ideas! I have also browsed her website on occasion, but haven't ever listened to any of her broadcasts. I can't wait! :)

Lisa - YAY! Good things all around! Sounds like a yummy chicken indeed! SO glad you're enjoying your sun oven! You know, you could probably make a good soup stock from the bones and juices!!! ;)

No, there's no transfer of flavor at all between the pans. :)

I haven't checked on dinner yet today. We had a run of clouds, too, so the oven has been ranging from 225 - 250 since I last posted. I am sure it's done or close to it, but since I still have to prepare some other food for my foster daughter's graduation party tomorrow, I'm just going to leave it in there until I'm done. My guys are off doing their own things today, so there's no rush. I'm just going to have to keep adjusting to the sun and then when the temp won't stay up any longer, I'll bring it in and see where we're at with it. It really is nice not having to worry about over-cooking or watching the temperature, isn't it?

It's so funny you said that about the towels, Lisa. Whenever I have dinner ready and have to wait for the guys, I've been wrapping the pans in big ol' towels to keep warm! It stays warm - daresay I even HOT - when I wrap them in towels like that! How awesome!

I am so tired... It's been a loooong week. I'm so glad I don't have to stand over a hot stove and beside a hot oven and cook tonight. When I'm finished with everything else, all I'll have to do is lift the lid and serve! Love that!

I'll keep you posted, girls! If you think of it, please post pictures, okay? I will, too!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on May 25 2013 1:00:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  07:44:42 AM  Show Profile
Here are pics of yesterday's meal:

I made a mistake in my post about the baked rice and apples. I used 3 cups of water (Duh). The rice was almost perfect. I think 3 1/4 cups of water would've been better. It was delicious, though. My son, who is not a big fan of rice, had two helpings!!! LOL! The first picture is how it looked after coming out of the oven. All the apples had risen to the surface. The second picture was taken after I stirred everything up. SO good.

The chicken probably doesn't look too impressive, but remember, all I added with garlic powder and a teeny bit of salt. It was cooked to perfection, though, and yummy! The veggies were overcooked, but that's the nature of letting it slow cook forever, as I did. The juices from the chicken made them super tasty, though. I served the chicken sliced and put the vegetables on top. It was soooo yummy. My husband just loves this whole sun thing. When I bought the oven, he kind of balked at me, but knew he was defenseless (for two years in a row now, he and my son have promised to build me a kitchen island for Christmas after the holiday, but other things came up, so, he couldn't really argue with me on this too, too much). Since I've been using it, he has been showing off his sun-cooked leftover meals. It's kind of becoming a sport with the guys to see what I've conjured up next! LOL!

One recipe my son would really like me to try is the "Mexican" chicken I make. Basically, I mix barbecue sauce with peach salsa, then pour it over a small bowl of crushed nacho chips and shredded cheese, and mix the whole thing up really well. I lay chicken breasts in the pan then spoon the mixture on top and bake. It's so yummy. I'm thinking I might try that next week sometime.

Oh! And I was so excited to find a 13" roasting pan at our Mom and Pop local hardware store yesterday (amazing they even still exist, huh?). It's really small, but it's supposed to hold up to five pounds. I think I'm going to do a roast or a chicken in it this week, too. :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on May 26 2013 07:47:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  08:44:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nini, that looks so good! I need to think of something to try today, don't want to do chicken again & I'm not in the mood for beef. I ended up doing the ribs over hubby's fire pit last night.
Our old timers band (think Sousa) has to play at a cemetery today, but I should be home by 3, & think that should give me ample time. Maybe some venison.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  11:42:58 AM  Show Profile
OK, I decided to grill metts & burgers on the fire pit, but yesterday I made a big pot of adzuki beans in the crock pot, so I am going to make baked beans out of those, & then try an apple crisp on the bottom. That, & some pasta salad with grape tomatoes & left over corn on the cob from last night. (not in Sun Oven!) We'll see.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  6:03:55 PM  Show Profile
Your meal looks supper yummy Nini. I didn't make dinner in mine today because we grilled hamburgers on the grill today. I have not had a working grill for some time and now we have one.I forgot how good grilled hamburgers are!!!

I did use the sun oven today to make a 2 layer cake. It cooked pretty fast considering its the sun doing it. After it cooled I made a buttercream chocolate icing.
Tomorrow my son and his wife and daughter are coming over to grill ribs. So after the cake was done I put in clean potatoes with the skins on in the granite dish and eggs in the one below about an hour after the potatoes. They cooked all the way through and will be using them to make potato salad tomorrow. So I managed to get quite alot cooked today. My hubby was here to watch it in action today and he thinks its pretty cool.He's like what are you going to make in it next?

Anyway don't have any recipes to share but thought I would share what I was doing in it. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on May 26 2013 6:04:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  6:40:44 PM  Show Profile
Dang Linda!! We ended up getting a huge cloud cover so I didn't cook. About 5 the clouds broke & completely sunny! OYE!
SO did your cake cook OK???
Pretty cool all you did. I need to get with the program!!!
Talk to you soon; I have a close friend in distress right now.. Send up the prayers

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 27 2013 :  04:27:33 AM  Show Profile
In the morning from 10 to noon it was pretty much clear and sunny and thats when I managed to bake the cake.
After that we had sun and cloud mixed and at one point it was very overcast. But with the potatoes I was not worried about keeping a high temp. the whole time. I think it went around 160 for a little while and then around 200 and then when the sun would come out it would go back to 275. If I had been cooking meat I would have taken it in to finish. But with the potatoes and eggs its a little more forgiving.
I had the potatoes in the oven probably a total of 6 hours so yeah they took a while with it being overcast and all. Around 5 it cleared again and I think thats when I was able to finally get them to cook the rest of the way.

Sorry about your friend will send up prayers.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  07:37:28 AM  Show Profile
Well, our band had to play again, (Memorial Day is busy), but before we left around 3, I put out apple crisp in the bottom pan & adzuki beans, (baked style) on the top. When we got home about 7, the clouds had rolled in, & the temp was a bit below 200. I opened the oven up & it was HOT!! Beans were steaming & tasty( a bit watery, but that is probably my fault; I just added a bunch of stuff before we left. Apple crisp is moist & tasty. Now I will just grill a few burgers & we are golden! Love this thing! Thanks Nini for bringing this to our attention!!!

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  09:55:18 AM  Show Profile
We grilled ribs and chicken out on the grill yesterday.I didn't want to boil water on the stove to cook 8 ears of corn, that would take a while to get the water boiling cause you need a big pot for that many ears. I put them in the solar oven with the husk on and 45 min. later they were steaming and done. Peeled back the husk and the corn was absolutely perfect. Crisp, hot, and tender. I think thats the best corn I have ever eaten. I think cooking in the husk in the solar oven made it perfect. I have tried doing them on the grill and you have to keep an eye on it. It either gets too done on one side and not done enough on the other side or it gets to dry and catches on fire because the husk dries out. You ladies need to try corn in your sun oven its the best.

Lisa glad your food turned out so well.Your getting the hang of it believe me it takes a little getting use to for sure. One thing with the sun oven is ya gotta plan dinner a little earlier and sometimes I am not even thinking about dinner in the morning.I am trying to think about it the night before when my brain is more in the dinner mode. At least with it being summer the days are longer and there is more time. Sunny winter days will be the most challenging. I will be curious to see what thats like.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2013 :  3:05:31 PM  Show Profile
Today it was super sunny and nice so cooked in the solar oven today and its ready to eat. This time I finally took a pictures of our dinner. Its a chicken curry stew. Gonna serve it with homemade bread and applesauce that was canned from last year. I don't have a true recipe for this just kinda put it together.

Now its time to eat it. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jun 19 2013 3:06:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2013 :  07:07:52 AM  Show Profile
Ooooh! YUM! That looks wonderful!

We've finally got a few days of sun in a row, and every day I've had obligations that have taken me away from home, so no sun oven cooking yet... Have any of you tried setting it up to where the midday sun will be when you leave early in the morning? Does it work? I'd like to give it a try, but I'm nervous about it.

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  5:41:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters,
Wow, I got an All American Sun Oven for my birthday. Today was my first try and it was easy. It does take a bit to set up (removing the protective shipping film on the solar panels) but after all is set up and cleaned, you can begin. I started my recipe at 10 a.m. and because the sun moves quickly in the morning I did have to turn my oven and adjust the height, but after a few adjustments you only have to rotate the sun oven to face the sun and align the dots. It becomes very easy. I had an economy cut roast, seasoned it simply with salt, pepper, garlic salt, and a bit of oregano. I placed it in the cooking pot and then poured over the roast one jar of my homemade canned French Onion Soup (that recipe takes all day to make because I really caramelize the onions). The onion soup base is beef broth also from made from scratch. I put the lid on the cooking pot that comes with the oven set and placed it in the sun oven on the leveling rack. I rotated the sun oven following the sun until 3:30 pm. I do think the roast was done well before that, but it doesn't burn and stays warm so I just let it sit outside until we were ready for an early dinner. Wow...tender, flaky, packed with flavor I put the meat and gravy broth over rice and served with green beans. It was delicious. My husband is just amazed. I am delighted with this oven and am so glad to have an oven alternative during the hot summers where we live in Nevada. I often want a hot meal but air conditioning the house it makes no sense to turn on the hot oven bake and roast. Now my sun oven can do it outside with no electricity or gas required. And living here where we have full sun most of the year it makes sense to bake this way. Hooray! This is a fun endeavor and tomorrow I will make brownies for my husband. MaryJanesFarm Farmgirls once again has given more knowledge on how to and can do and this option is utility bill free. I know celebrity chef Jose Andres and the Clinton Foundation work together in Haiti teaching them to use the sun oven. It is an expense but will last 15 years and a life time if carefully cleaned and stored away properly when not in use. I have mine on a counter ready for use and it folds up like a suitcase. It is just so cool to use (well really it gets hot..don't forget to use potholders as my oven reached 345 degrees!)
I have attached two photos for you to see. Take care now, Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  7:18:18 PM  Show Profile
Annie! You GO girl!!! That looks amazing!!! I can almost taste the goodness from the picture! :) We've got about 5 days of rain ahead, but I'm already planning for next week - I can't wait! I'm sooo happy you all are having fun with your sun ovens! That's awesome! My husband just looked at everyone's pics and said, "I hope you're getting the recipes!" LOL! So please do share when you have time, okay, girls?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  7:36:43 PM  Show Profile
Annie that looks amazing. So happy for you.
I got a sun oven after reading Nini's post about hers. Its fun and will pay for itself. I cooked in mine today and we hit 91 degrees outside and the humidity was bad. So it was nice to keep the heat outside and not fight the air conditioner. I am so glad you are enjoying yours.Let us know how your brownies turn out.
I have only tried baking one time and we kept getting clouds so the results were not too good.I need to try baking again.
Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  8:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Annie to the Sun Oven Sisters!!!
I LOVE mine too, & use it whenever it is sunny and/or I am home.
Your French Onion soup sounds amazing, care to post the recipe??

Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  11:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lisa,
I use Cook's Illustrated Best French Onion Soup from their Jan.Feb. 2008 Magazine. It is not that the recipe itself is so different from others, but the technique is that instead of only deglazing once is to deglaze at least three times. The onions turn a dark brown and I deglaze with a few splashes of the dry sherry they suggest. Tasters preferred it to sweet sherry, white wine, Champagne, red wine, and vermouth. They do also mention a technique of cooking the onions in the oven for 2 1/2 hours until they are golden, wilted, and reduced in volumne. Also using sweet onions such as Vidalia or Walla Walla will make the recipe overly sweet, I use the yellow onions. The ingredients they list are:
3 T unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
6 large yellow onion (about 4 pounds) sliced
Table salt
2 cups water, plus extra for deglazing
1/2 cup dry sherry
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups beef broth
6 sprigs of fresh thyme, tied with kitchen twine
1 bay leaf
Ground black pepper

croutons are made from 1 small baguette, cut on the bias in 1/2 inch slices and 8 ounces Gruyere shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)

This recipe is written for a regular oven and range top cooking:

Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Generously spray inside heavy bottom large at least 7 quart Dutch oven with nonstick spray. Place butter in pot and add onions and 1 tsp salt. Cover and place in oven 1 hour, remove, stir, recover and place back in oven for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours stirring each hour. Remove from oven with potholders (very hot!) place over med high heat cook onions further until liquid evaporates 15 to 20 minutes. Cook, stirring frequently until bottom is coated with dark fond and crust 6 - 8 minutes and stir in 1/4 cup water scraping to loosen crust and cook until water evaporates, repeat process of deglazing 2 or 3 more times. stir in Sherry and cook until it evaporates in about 5 minutes. Stir in broths, 2 cups water, thyme, bay leaf and 1/2 tsp salt scraping up any bits of browned crust on bottom. Reduce heat to low and cover and simmer 30 minutes. Remove and discard herbs. Top with crisped bread and melt cheese.
It is very good and worth the trouble. I usually make a batch and then can it to have on hand. Enjoy. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.

Edited by - AnnieinIdaho on Jun 25 2013 11:56:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  05:47:48 AM  Show Profile
Okay I thought this would be a good time to get the solar oven out for breakfast food. I love steel cut oats but they take almost 40 min. in the morning to make them. I am starving by the time I get in from chores and start making them. With steel cut oats you can't walk away from them and do other things because they need to be stirred and watched.

So I got my solar oven out yesterday and decided to put them in there. I put 2 cup of steel cut oats to 6 cups of water... it usually calls for 4 cups of water to 1 cup steel cut oats when range cooking. I made a double batch so I could eat on it a few days with my family. I added 2 tsp. of cinnamon and a little nutmeg and let it cook part of the day we had sun and clouds so took a little longer.It turned out really well but next time will add less water because there is not much evaporation during the cooking. But I didn't have to worry about scorching it. They turned out super well. So in the future I can eat more steel cut oats if I cook it this way and heat it up for breakfast. After it was done cooking I folded in 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts and about 1/2 cup of golden raisins. I love to eat them this way. Once they are reheated just add your milk and whatever sweetner you like.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  10:05:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing that recipe, Annie! French onion soup is one of my all-time favorites!!!

Linda - I love the steel cut oats, too, but because of time constraints, I haven't had much time to make them. I am SO excited to try them in the sun oven now! THANK YOU for letting us know! Awesome!!!

I was thinking of trying to make pie in the solar oven, but am hesitant. Do you think the steam would make the crust all mushy? What do you girls think?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 27 2013 10:06:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  10:23:00 AM  Show Profile
I have not tried a pie yet. I am a scaredy cat. I thought about trying a cobbler first and see how that goes.Its too late for me to make one today cause my peaches are frozen but am thinking about maybe tomorrow if its sunny.

I have almost eaten all my steelcut oats and need to make more of those.If you try the pie Nini let us know how it turns out. I wonder if you made an open pie with no top crust if it would bake better. Kinda like a rustic pie. That may be the 2nd thing I try but first it will be a cobbler for sure.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Solar Cooking - Any Tips and Recipes To Share? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page