neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  08:15:50 AM  Show Profile
Several years ago I was in our local tractor supply store and picked up an MJF magazine. Initially the cover drew me in but as I flipped through the pages I knew I had to take it home. Since then I've tried so many of the recipes, sewing and crafting projects etc, but the sisterhood is what keeps me here. The sharing of personal stories (good & bad), the eagerness to pass along encouragement, recipes, skills, advice/support is like non other I've experienced. Although we are miles apart and vastly different personalities we share a common bond no matter where we live or what our lifestyle. One huge thing for me was coming back to my roots when we did EVERYTHING homemade & handmade. We were so poor we had to, we had no choice. Unfortunately I became embarrassed of the lifestyle I grew up with. Let's face it public school is a harsh place and people can be so mean and I ended up being ashamed of my poor upbringing. But you know what, our family was so much closer then & I miss that. I guess I've come full circle and have a newfound respect and admiration for what my parents did and how I was raised, I'm no longer ashamed, I'm proud. We were raised to be honest, strong work ethics, clean, respectful, have manners and help your neighbor. MJF kickstarted that and I'm forever grateful. I realized doing things yourself by hand is quickly becoming a lost art and what a terrible thing that would be. I want to be a part of the "movement" of preserving that lifestyle, respecting mother earth, and a return to good old fashioned values and skills. Imagine my disbelief when I learned they are no longer teaching cursive writing in schools! Wow things sure have changed.

Farmgirl #522

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - May 04 2013 :  7:19:35 PM  Show Profile
Anita, I loved your post and we grew up the same way. I could have wrote that post. My sister in law gave me a bunch of magazine and that is the
first time I saw MJF Magazine. I loved it. Then I checked out the Farm. It was so totally me. I knew I wanted to join. Whoohoo! Am so glad I did.
Thank you Anita.

Hugs Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  10:43:55 AM  Show Profile
Yes, we are kindred spirits here, through good times and bad :-)

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  7:58:04 PM  Show Profile
Yes we are kindred spirits Anita. Welcome. I was raised the same way and I am still proud.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  5:23:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Anita, for sharing your words of wisdom. I feel the same way. It's sad to see such wonderful things disappearing, but, hopefully, MJF magazine and the "sisterhood" will keep those things alive. It is sad that cursive is no longer taught in the public schools. We have friends whose second grader is in a private Christian school that teaches cursive writing. The little girl is so proud of her beautiful handwriting and appreciative of the fact that she can read handwritten letters and cards that come to their home. Yes, there are still people who write letters! Imagine that.

http://www.karencecilsmith.com/

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  08:06:36 AM  Show Profile
I love that she is able to learn cursive. My grandson will be going to a Christian school so I hope they teach it, good to know.

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  08:34:16 AM  Show Profile
Disappearing cursive writing, the same as writing personal Thank You notes instead of e-mailing them.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  12:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
I love my two penpal Farmgirls, Marti and Annie, who both have such beautiful handwriting.
Terri
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic Back to my roots Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page