Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  07:18:49 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Farmgals - Our 1 yr. old Great Pyrennes is shedding, as well he should be! I am surprised at the huge hunks of hair that fall out leaving patches of very thin undercoat and small number of outer coat hairs. I am worried that the remaining hair is too thin? The skin is not irritated and everything looks fine just extremely thin hair remaining. Is this normal?

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  11:07:32 AM  Show Profile
My Newfy did this twice a year she would lose so much it looked like there was a dog hair storm.
YES it is pretty normal with the herding working breeds

I finally got in the habit of getting her groomed and then I could take care of the daily stuff.

Some people will weave it.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

Edited by - gramadinah on Apr 24 2013 11:08:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  1:18:04 PM  Show Profile
They call the yarn/dog 'wool' "chiengora" :0) Isn't that funny? If you want to help get out the fur, I LOVE my Furminator comb! It works wonders once you learn how to hold it properly. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are seeing sparse areas, reddened skin, or bald patches. Let him get over the 'blow out' and then reassess.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  1:21:59 PM  Show Profile
Check this out: http://www.chiengorafibers.com/content/category?name=fiber

Cool, huh?

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  06:04:45 AM  Show Profile
Although I love my Pyres, if I am into goats long enough to warrant I get another LGD, it sadly wont be a pyre. The first year, they blew their coats great, but after that, each year they dont. And I or my husband have to scissor them all over, they wont shed right, and have matts, I dont want hot spots so we cut them. Using clippers is a lost cause, they wont go through the hair, plus my female is terrified of them. :(

Only those with an open mind can learn from ones own mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  2:24:04 PM  Show Profile
Amanda, I am amazed at the chiengora! How crazy is that? The local co-op has put me in touch with a groomer who has a lot of experience with gp's. She has been a groomer for 26 years. I am looking forward to learning how to better take care of his fur and help with the matts behind his ears. I'll let you know if she thinks his shedding is "normal".
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2013 :  10:38:16 AM  Show Profile
I am, too! I love the German Shepherd pillow; it's fabulous! Double-coated dogs sure can 'blow their coat', can't they? It's pretty amazing at the hair they drop. Even my little bitty Brussels Griffon loses wads of hair every spring.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2013 :  6:44:38 PM  Show Profile
Back from the groomer! The thin area of hair was what should normally happen, however, there were matts of hair that would not allow shedding..Long story short, we have a shaved down dog. He feels much better and I have learned a lot on how to help take care of his coat. One thing that really bothered me though is the number of ticks he had attached to him. We had applied his monthly Advantix II less than 6 days before. I am very discouraged with tick products.
Go to Top of Page

doggiegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Laura
Blue Creek Ohio
USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 15 2013 :  3:40:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi... my Pyrs. do the same thing..shed by clumps.. I could stuff a mattress with all the hair... a good friend of mine has spun hers before.. it makes awesome yarn... end result she made a hat.. it was sharp! Laura
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Great Pyr shedding Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page