MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  10:52:34 AM  Show Profile
I ended up with a huge pile of roofing slate from a Civil War Hospital my husband was working on. Some is broken, but most is 1foot by 2 feet. I've been looking online for patio ideas, but I haven't found any that suit me. Maybe you girls would have some suggestions? I already have a sidewalk from driveway to house...
thanks,
Cristine

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  06:55:33 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I design & install patios, walks, etc. We use is bluestone, which is 1 1/2" - 2" thick. I don't know how thick the slate you have is, nor whether the frost would damage it if it were used on the ground versus on a roof. Have you used any of it for your walk?

For design ideas, try doing a google search under bluestone -- there's some good stuff out there.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  08:54:38 AM  Show Profile
If it's too thin to use as walkways, it would still be lovely for flower borders that wouldn't be stepped on much. You could even set it about under potted plants.

I would LOVE to have some of that; it's beautiful! You're a lucky duck!
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  09:33:54 AM  Show Profile
Some of it I have actually jumped up and down on and cant break it. Since I already have a porch and concrete sidewalk going to both entry door...I have 2 pretty maples in the front yard, kinda thought about making a little "patio" in between them...I wish I had some pics online so you girls could give me some ideas..
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  11:03:10 AM  Show Profile
How thick is the slate? It's the action of frost that may break it apart when it's set on the ground -- i.e., water gets into the cracks/layers and frost breaks it apart. You're in Virginia, tho, and I don't know how cold your winters get.

Mary Ann has some good suggestions -- set it around flower borders -- you might even be able to dry-stack it.

If you do make a patio, you will need a base of gravel and then a layer of sand to set the slate upon -- that will help with drainage and prevent winter-heaving.

Or, you could use the 1x2 for stepping stones (I'd excavate a bit under and put a layer of sand, so you can make it level) and see how they fare over the winter before going to all the expense/time to install a patio-sized area.

I agree with Mary Ann -- lovely stuff to have!

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  2:07:24 PM  Show Profile
If it doesn't work out as a patio, you could probably find a market for it to Country-style painters - My aunt has made a lot of entryway wallhanging designs by painting acrylic paints on slate roofing tiles.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  2:53:31 PM  Show Profile
What a bunch of great advice. I like the painting idea. I made sure to get some odd shaped pieces, I might paint some stuff on it myself!! You girls are so great to have around.
I think I'm gonna do the sand idea under it in a small spot in the yard and see what happens. Although the slate had been on a roof built before the civil war, and it held up to some terrible winters so I dont think it will freeze and break too bad. If it does, it will only add character(trying to be optomistic)
Thanks
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  09:54:48 AM  Show Profile
Hey, ladies! Another idea...roofing slates have holes in them for the nails that held them in place. If you have smaller pieces (and are lucky enough to have the holes right in the center) you could make garden markers; just paint the name and or a little picture of the plant with oil based paint on it and hang it on a metal garden stake.

If you have really small pieces you could paint Christmas themed vignettes on them and hang on the tree, or use them as cool (and permanent) gift tags for presents under the tree, with the recipient's name on the front and maybe a little saying or blessing on the back. OR make one of those "I'm in the garden" signs to hang on your frontdoor or gate....skies the limit once our brains start shooting on all burners, isn't it? Have fun! Nance
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Slate garden patio ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page