Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Embroidery Help for Heirloom Quilt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embroidery Help for Heirloom Quilt Next Topic  

firefly0005
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Danielle
Oregon City Oregon
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  3:07:30 PM  Show Profile
Please help. I have been given an unfinshed family quilt, or the pieces that will make a quilt someday. It is all the women's hands on Mom's side dating back to the 1800's. They have each embroidered their hand, name, birthplace, and birthdate. I figured out the few that needed to be added to it, including myself, and have them now. The problem is me. I have discovered I do not like to embroider. At least the basic chain(?) stitch. A neighbor showed me how, but it is going on a year and I still have not finished, actually restarted a couple of times. I do not like the way it looks. Have changed thread, material, etc. I need a different stitch. Does anyone have any ideas, or a good book that would give me some? I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh, BTW, I do not know anything about quilting either. So this has become quite the project for me. I did find a great quilt shop, though when I get to that point. Always open for suggestions/ideas.

Once a country girl, always a country girl.

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  09:30:14 AM  Show Profile
Danielle is this a crazy quilt you're working on?
I used to have a couple books (I lost them in our house fire in October) that had some beautiful stitches for crazy quilts and they were by Judith Baker Montano.
They were books of silk ribbon embroidery but there was alot of stitches for and examples of crazy quilts in there.
I would recommend checking out those books.
I wish I could offer you more information,I do redwork embroidery and have made embroidered quilt blocks but have never done a crazy quilt yet.
Good luck on your project!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Nostalgic Needleworks http://www.etsy.com/shop/NostalgicNeedleworks

Edited by - RedHoopWoman on Apr 18 2013 09:30:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  10:11:51 AM  Show Profile
i don't have any suggestions off the top of my head but gosh what a treasure you are blessed with!

Pinterest will offer ideas of embroidery stitches-or books at the library - or just google embroidery stitches....

would absolutely love to see photos when it's done.....or now!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  9:02:56 PM  Show Profile
Are you doing a chain stitch or the back stitch? I like the back stitch for putting on names and such much better!!! You can google any of the stitches and they will all be on the computer and on you tube too. What kind of fabric are you using? you might like something different in that too, if you let me know what kind maybe I can give you some other suggestions? How many do you have to do. maybe we could barter so I could do them for you. I love to embroider... If I did I would like pictures of what the other ones look like so I could make them kinda the same.??

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embroidery Help for Heirloom Quilt Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page