Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  06:32:50 AM  Show Profile
I have been having lots of leg cramps at night and restless leg syndrome. Does anyone know if there is a vitamin I can take to help this .I know you can eat bananas and and certain foods for it. I have been trying that but it has not helped that much yet.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  09:31:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dorinda,
My husband started taking a Vitamin B complex (in drops) and his restless leg syndrome stopped. I had severe leg cramps and it turned out my blood sugar was out of control (my metformin for diabetes type 2 stopped working). They put me on insulin and my muscle cramping stopped. My MD told me leg muscle cramps is one of the major signs of uncontrolled blood sugar. You may want to get tested or find someone that has a glucose test meter and strips and take a fasting blood sugar reading. This will give you a clue. Other things such as electrolytes being off, dehydration, etc. could cause muscle cramps. I saw your post about being car sick for so long, so when you threw up for so many hours you may now be dehydrated with electrolytes off. (Bummer..I once got altitude sickness on our first day of vacation and it ended our 10 day vacation!) They sell pedialyte (spelling?) for children you could try or Smart Water to see if it helps. But I would go and get a blood panel done and talk with your MD. Best to you!
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  4:14:20 PM  Show Profile
You might want to try magnesium.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  6:17:54 PM  Show Profile
Drink a glass of water before bed. Leg cramps can from not enough and your kidneys work better to purge your system of toxins when you are laying down. So we need to make sure we are getting enough at night to replace that.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  4:00:59 PM  Show Profile
I know when my calcium is low I have leg and arm cramps. Might get your calcium tested or just up your calcium or go on a supplement and see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  12:19:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls for all the advice . I am going to try them and see what works.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  11:31:43 AM  Show Profile
My husband has this problem and found that a homeopathic remedy, Hyland's Restful Legs tablets, work for him. They can be found at health food stores. Good luck to you, Dorinda.

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington

My blog, The Review-anista Reads http://friendsfunfabric.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

heritagehunter
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Julie
La Salle Co
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  6:11:30 PM  Show Profile
I had tried everything when this was happening to me. My Dad told me to get a bar of soap, unwrap it and but it between my sheets (close to my legs) and sleep with it. After two weeks the cramps went away.
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2013 :  12:54:26 PM  Show Profile
I just read that a glass of water before bed and also magnesium helps too. Beets, spinach and other greens are loaded with magnesium. Probably better than a supplement...hope your legs are behaving themselves! Nothing worse than restless legs at nighttime!

~hugs,
April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Leg Cramps! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page