Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Whining About Quilting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Whining About Quilting Next Topic  

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  10:34:17 PM  Show Profile
Okay quilting gals -- I need to whine for a minute. I went to the quilt shop today to look for a Christmas panel to do as the center of a Christmas quilt. Then thought I'd add a border of other quilt blocks around it -- kind of like Aunt Jenny's Autumn quilt. This would be my first quilting venture other than a rag quilt.

I found the cutest panel with a church in the woods. Then I realized that I'd have to choose fabric to go with it so I just put the panel back and walked out of the store. I love to sew but truly have a block when it comes to choosing colors, patterns, etc to go together. I see all these lovely quilts I'd like to try and know that when I get to the quilt shop I'm going to agonize over fabric choices. So I just don't go. It's not only with fabric either. We made earrings at our Chapter meeting last night. All the other gals were putting together the prettiest beads with different textures and colors. I just did a pair with blue stones and silver beads. Didn't want to have to make the choices so took the easy way out! I get so mad at myself.

I need help!!! What can I do to get over this?

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  11:02:58 PM  Show Profile
well..I would suggest that you find a color wheel at a craft store like Michael's or hobby Lobby or Dick Blick..the color wheels show you the color theory and what colors are opposite on a color wheel, what colors go together and complement one another..etc.
I think if you had this simple tool handy that it would not become such an agonizing thing..you'd begin to learn what goes with what..etc.
Just my 2 cents worth.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  11:08:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh, maybe that would help you Kay. I am sort of "fly by the seat of my pants" fabric picker. I can do it fast..but not always well. I just get lucky sometimes. Alot of times, I find that they tend to put fabrics in groups that coordinate well...if you skip around to different collections it dosn't always work well.
And hey...blue stones and silver sounds really pretty to me!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Oct 17 2006 11:50:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  11:46:53 PM  Show Profile
Kay is it possible that you are afraid of making choices that might not be perfect? Do you really, really strive to create a perfect finished product and don't really like to settle for less? Are you a Type A personality?
The reason I ask is because your post sounds just like me. Only I do have fabric sitting here for projects that I procrastinate about and plan and plan because the results have to meet my own high expectations. I could argue that it's a matter of personal pride in what I create, but with me I have to admit it's to a fault.
Di
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  05:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Hello, Kay. First, I want to congratulate you on recognizing your fear. That is the first way to get going to kick it out of your mind.

My fear is wondering how to use that lovely fabric, making sure I have the "perfect" project/plan for it. So, now I just see what I am in the mood for, search through my stash and just go with it.

A suggestion for picking color/coordinates:

Check along the selvage for color dots. Those can be used to match up with other fabric. You will know that they will work in your project. Ask for help at the quilt store as well. We LOVE to help other women pick fabric!! They can give you great advice about intensity of color, scale of prints, collections that are already coordinated, etc.

I like to lay the fabrics open on the cutting table to really see the fabric in good light. You can step back and catch them all together, squint your eyes helps, and the red reducing tool can help with getting enough contrasts in your selections. Think variety: colors, contrasts (light, mediums and a dark), scale (large, small, tonals, plaids).

I never considered myself an artist until recently. Even now I usually refer to myself as someone who loves to create versus artist. Artist connotes knowledge, and I have no formal training. However, I am learning from books, other people's work, and my daughter who is taking art in high school. We are always learning and gaining new knowledge and perspective. Enjoy where you are at this moment.

This is very freeing as I just pick what I like. Go with colors you love to look at as you will be enjoying them while making your project. I tend toward wild and bright colors. However, I do my share of country colors for others and pastels for baby quilts.

Once you get your first project picked out, just be pleased and happy with your choices and move right into making it.

Happy hunting and stitching.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  05:50:00 AM  Show Profile
Kay- Our quilt store can be overwhelming too! I have always sort of known my color palette but have recently noticed I am being drawn more to colors I would previously have said"weren't mine". Maybe you are in transition? I know they usually place coordinating fabrics for all the projects with the samples for the upcoming classes, maybe that's a good place to start. Figure out what color schemes are "you" and which are not. My first instinct was to tell you about the color wheel too, but that doesn't really help with patterned fabric. In most of the classes and quilting groups I have been to the biggest question I have heard is "How do I know what goes together?" We had a girl who swore she could NEVER put stripes and checks and florals together and after a while she started playing with bits and pieces of scraps she liked from everyone and ended up making a really cute crazy quilt pillow. We have a convert! Don't be afraid, we all have learned by trial and error.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  05:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Kay, I suggest you start simply by asking the folks at the quiltstore, like Clare said. They can do a great job, and you could ask why (but they'd probably be telling you why already) they choose each fabric. This is exactly how I started. The key is to like the fabrics and displays in the store. If they aren't generally to your taste, you need to go to a different store! Ditto for quilt patterns. Tell them what experience you've had so they can judge what you're comfortable doing. Finally, it's all a learning process, and the way to learn is to just start doing... the best you can, while enjoying the process with whatever you have. The delight is that there's always another quilt to make....!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  07:11:23 AM  Show Profile
Also, sometimes there are fabrics that coordinate with the panel! But I'm sure they would help you! Great ideas ladies! I go with what I like! Just have fun doing it! And just glad you are DOING it!

love, hugs and strawberries, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  07:44:52 AM  Show Profile
Diane -- you described me to a T!!! I'm a definite perfectionist and Type A! I am this way in most anything I do. I don't decorate my house because I have to find just the right stuff. I don't do any major landscaping in my yard because it has to look just right. Missy tells me "Mother,just do it." Thank you all for your advice. It really has helped me -- and now I need to just do it!

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  07:51:28 AM  Show Profile
I always choose a combination of patterns and solids, and just take my time. I lay the fabrics side by side and just keep looking. Sometimes I find what I want, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I find one combination but change it after finding something else that works better.

Ask questions, even if the sales person's tastes aren't yours, you are at least learning what you DON'T like in a quilt.

I also try to keep my fabric limited to five choices, with at least one or two being solid colors. One of the prints will usually be something in a tiny print and one will be larger, to provide a variety of sizes in the patterns (rather than trying to combine prints that all have the same sized pattern.) I also try to match at least two colors in the print to those in another print, instead of just matching one color, and I'm picky - I like my colors to be in the same hue... there are so many variations of red, for example...

My color preferences also change over time. For the longest time I didn't like brown, red or orange. Now I'm crazy about them.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Whining About Quilting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page