country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  08:12:06 AM  Show Profile
What is the best dual purpose tomato, heirloom not hybrid, that I can grow to make salsa and regular canned tomatoes? Also what are the best/sweetest heirloom cherry tomatoes?

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  3:01:52 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering about the Ox Heart tomatoes, if they would be any good for what I want to use them for? I saw them in the Baker Creek catalog.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  3:29:58 PM  Show Profile
There is an orange cherry tomato I think called Sungold, that is amazing. I had a few last year and would eat every one that was ripe right off the vine. So good.

I can't seem to make salsa that's not watery. So I would love to knoe too. What about the Amish Paste tomato? Or even a Green Zebra? Seems like that would make some pretty salsa.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2898 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2898 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  4:13:12 PM  Show Profile
I am very excited to be getting a grafted San Marzano from Gardens Alive. They have some different varieties than some of the other catalogs & are all organic. The grafted tomatoes are supposed to be very heavy producers.
Kris, if you make some tomato paste (or even add store bought, yuck though) your salsa will thicken. The roma types are a bit better due to less seeds. The San Marzano has a great taste & few seeds.
It was good talking to you today! I wish I could see all of your fermented goodies!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  5:15:28 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, those are supposed to be the very best tomato for anything. Seems like all the cooks on the cooking shows use them. So how does a grafted tomato work? Is it a plant? And you're just getting 1? Yes, it was fun talking to you too. I just love meeting MJ farm girls. Like we were talking about adding powdered milk to thicken home made yogurt, that would be about the same as adding store bought tomato paste to thicken salsa. I want to learn to make ketchup and tomato paste. Those Amics paste tomatoes are supposed to be good for that. And I always grow Romas to have thicker sauce. They are a pain to peel though. So small.

I have never seen the Ox Heart. I'll have to check it out.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2898 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2898 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  5:44:51 PM  Show Profile
Yeah Kris, I just ordered 1 plant cause it was pricy (10 bucks, but Gardens Alive has $25 off of $50, so I figured what the heck?) I have not gotten the plant yet. They are not genetically modified & have increased resistance to diseases & environmental stresses. I figure I will try the one plant & see what happens. I also ordered 2 different packs of San Marzano organic seeds. I have discovered the gorgeous taste of this tomato, although the TRUE San Marzano (which will be labled DOP) comes from a very specific region in Italy. I hope my plants will be somewhat close.
If you get a Vitamix, you can toss the WHOLE tomato in there & it will completely pulverize the whole thing, seeds, skin etc. No need to peel, & the skin has a boatload of nutrients.
The Vitamix is an investment, but it is worth every penny. I love mine & use it daily, if not several times a day. I just pureed my horseradish root that I harvested & it is now in the fridge.

I'll keep you posted on the grafted San Marzano plant.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2898 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2898 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  5:49:32 PM  Show Profile
OK kinda off topic, but I want to sing the praises of the company that nmanufactures the Vitamix. Made in the USA (OH) & they have a 7 yr warranty!! You only get 90 days or 1 yr on most appliances including a fridge or washer & dryer. This appliance is very utilitarian, a workhorse that is made for the long haul. They also have remanufactured units that are a bit less expensive but still carry a warranty.
If you can swing it, GET ONE!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  6:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Costco had them on sale a few weeks ago for about $450. I sure did want one. They are amazing machines. And like you said, the peels are so good. I hate peeling anything.

Good luck on the plant. Can you post pictures of it?

Kris

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2898 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2898 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  6:36:52 PM  Show Profile
Kris
Once I get this "super plant", I'll keep you posted.
Check the Vitamix website; I just got an email from them about the remanufactured program. A little less pricy I think.

Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  11:43:00 PM  Show Profile
I use Amish Paste tomato for everything. It is my favorite by far, my hubby always tries to throw a few others in the hampers when I am canning, but I want the Amish Paste. I can salsa, pizza sauce, and spaghetti sauce and it works for all of these.

Beth
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  11:03:11 AM  Show Profile
I love the Rutgers tomato. It is a heavy producer for us here and was used for years as a commercial canning tomato. Good size, no cracking, and great taste. :0) I did not like Oxheart tomatoes as I found them too 'mealy' for my taste. Also, Sausage cream paste is a fabulous producer of roma-type yellow fruits. Makes for a pretty salsa.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Tomatoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page