Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Long rant-sorry-but I would love feedback
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Long rant-sorry-but I would love feedback Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  08:57:51 AM  Show Profile
Happy New Year Everyone!!!!!!! I was just going through the older forums and ran across this thread and thought maybe it would be a good one to refresh! Start the new year with renewed enthusiasm! :)

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  11:38:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Well said Mel. I think that the important thing to remember is to enjoy the swap. It is not what you get that should be the key focus of the swap. When I join a swap it is to use the talents God gave me for someone else. Tucks, what are they really? For me the swap is the focal point and what you send is part of the swap. Whether they are the items mention for the swap or the extra's that everyone is so consumed with. I believe it should be the focus of sending to your swap partner, a farm girl sister something from your heart regardless of what that is. Do you go shopping and just buy anything or do you really think about the farm girl you are buying for. That is the soul purpose of swaps, not the notes, not the tucks, and not even the swap itself. The real focus should be the farm girl whom you are taking the time to either use your talents (be in making something homemade or buying that special item you know that will put a smile on their face and make their day). That is my opinion. I think that most have lost the true meaning of swaps. Swaps as I have come to understand is about sharing your love with another.
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3950 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  12:23:12 PM  Show Profile
When I first joined this site, I realized very early that I had to sign up for a limited number of swaps. That was my first lesson. I want to do so much and I have to be mindful of my time, talent and motivation. So my first piece of advice is not to sign up for a swap you think you can't fulfill on time.

I like tuck ins and for me, they are not necessary. I always send at least one from my stack of folded paper stars. Each one takes about 20 minutes to make, not including gathering and cutting the paper. It is a small thing and everyone I have given one to smiles so I stick with that.

I send a small note with every swap along with the pattern or instructions for how I made the project. I also keep all the little notes I receive and refer back to them to get some idea of what a farm girl might like for a tuck or a surprise gift. I send a thank you note to every swap partner I have whose address I know. I believe that this is important. I am sending a longer letter now at the end of the year to all the farm girls with whom I have swapped, bartered or bought from. I love to write. Can you tell?

I try very hard to get my swaps out on time and I apologize for not doing this well. I do, however, keep my partner informed of my progress. This too is important. I try not to hassle a partner who hasn't sent a package or any information on their progress. I believe that they feel bad enough already and I do not need to add to that.

I am one of those organization geeks. I keep a spreadsheet of all the swaps and barters I am in to reference and update. I also keep a list of farm girls, what swaps or barters I was in with them and their particular interests. I liked looking at the Christmas Stocking Swap for ideas and I will be looking at the Easter Basket Swap for some more. I like to know that what I am sending is appreciated.

For me personally, if anyone gets something from me that they do not want, I will not be offended if they pass it on to someone else.

Last thing, I would like to see more pictures of the received swaps. I really enjoy seeing the things I have made shared with everyone.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  06:28:36 AM  Show Profile
I've enjoyed reading your responses....First of all, I try to do my best on my swap item!! It IS about the swap...Then, a note to say hello is great, but tucks are entirely up to the sender. I agree with TammyC and others and their comments. I have had to cut back because of postage and such. This year I am only signing for handmade swaps or small swaps because of the postage. It is about the fun and simple pleasures such as receiving something in the mail....to much thought or angst about the swap takes the fun out of it! Smiles, and a very Happy New Year!!!!

You can never be to kind!
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1417 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1417 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  07:39:14 AM  Show Profile
I appreciate hearing everyone's feedback as well! I have to say - I LOVE to give, "It's better to give then receive" definitely applies to me. I give to make others feel special, I certainly DO NOT expect any tucks! I'm thrilled if it's kept just to the swap on their end, I just love being able to share and love others through gifts. That's my goal! Notes - I always (unless I forgot??!!) write a little something, but certainly don't expect anything, again, in return. My expectations that I set for me are to give to others, but not to receive. Someone once said to me, you're not getting married for you, but you are getting married for your husband-to-be. I apply this to other areas in life - I'm not partaking in swaps for me, but rather to bless others! There are so many different ladies on this forum, which I think is amazing and wonderful!, and I can see that there would be some problems in differences in opinions, which I think is natural. That being said - I LOVE how everyone is responding in a loving manner to each other - kudos to all of you! I think we should keep going on how we have been - Joey has had some wonderful colour swaps that were strict with rules and no tucks (which is great for those of you who don't want to participate in tucks) and others have had some wonderful swaps with tucks allowed (which is great for the tuck people!) so I think we've got it right folks - we're accommodating to everyone's needs :) Hugs to you all! Joyce
Go to Top of Page

pstill
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Pennie
Barnwell South Carolina
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  10:03:23 AM  Show Profile
I have to agree here. I save all my little notes and mail arts and cards and then I scrapbook them into my "Farmgirl Book" ... I have recieved many swaps that have gotten to me with no name, no FG# no nothing and Then I can't figure out if I have gotten my swap from my partner or not. I recieved a RAOK card and I didn't know who it was from, so I couldn't even get on the thread to give thanks for that person thinking about me.
I know we are all busy with our day to day lives and the things that go on, but just a moment to sit down and write something out and add your name to it, makes some of us happy to see, because their may be some of us out there that look forward to it, it brings a little bit more happiness to a life that may not be too happy for that person at the moment.

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up. ~Mark Twain

Pennie :)
Farmgirl #5381
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  7:32:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
I am very surprised to see this subject again. There was a HUGE discussion about this in April-multiple pages/posts that have not been included this time around for some reason. It got ugly enough that Mary Jane had to close the topic on the forum!! Since I originated this post on the forum, I am asking to please close it again. I never want a repeat of the April posts again. If y'all want to have another discussion about this, please start a new post on the forum. Thanks so much. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2014 :  7:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Brenda,
I agree with you. Its disappointing to sign up for a swap, be assigned a partner, send your information and never hear from that person.
I enjoy adding tuck ins it adds to the fun. I never expect a certain amount of things and just enjoy the fun things that are in the mail!! Farmgirl mail is the best and always brightens my day.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  8:50:13 PM  Show Profile
so is there going to be a just tuck in swap. that sounds like fun to me.. surprise!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Long rant-sorry-but I would love feedback Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page