Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 How to feed a goose? Thanks ladies.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How to feed a goose? Thanks ladies. Next Topic  

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  3:14:25 PM  Show Profile
I would like ideas on how and what to feed my 2 grown geese. I had to pen them up because they were picking on the chickens so they can't forage freely any more. I am going to build them a bigger pen too. The pen they are in is about 12x20. But anyway There isn't any grass yet that is tall enough because (basically it is still winter here) to pick for them and I have been feeding them hen scratch and lay pellets which seemed to be fine when they were free but I think I need to give them other stuff too. Does anybody have any thoughts on if I could feed them alfalfa hay? Or any other ideas. I live too far in the boonies to get any left over produce from a store or anything. Not even sure how much of that would be a good idea either. Any goose goodies come to mind anyone?
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com

Edited by - crittergranny on Apr 11 2013 05:09:38 AM

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  3:20:25 PM  Show Profile
what I have always fed my geese is all purpose hog pellets, they love crickets, pinky mice, little amounets of greens, they may like the leafy alpalfa and flowers, but make sure its small or they will choke...don't over feed when they are penned or they will get too fat and have hip/joint problems...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  4:20:32 PM  Show Profile
Mine are free range, always have been. But in the winter I just feed them the same feed I give to my sheep. I buy from a feed store where they make their own grain feed ... so it would be a sweet feed blend I do add a small amount of corn for them tho.
And I have had some of these geese for 12 years, youngest is about 8 ... hoping for some hatches this year.
Good luck ...

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  7:39:17 PM  Show Profile
I just feed what I feed my chickens. 16% laying pellets. They get some scratch. They free range, and I have two females, lost the male to a coyote. I get two eggs a day. Goose eggs are equivalent to 3 chickens eggs. I sell 1/2 doz for $5.00 I have a man who will call every April and wants to buy what I can sell. They have been laying now for about 3 weeks. I wish I could find a couple males, so my eggs would be fertile. But no luck so far. Good luck to you. we love our geese little noisy, but have helped with the snake population. Linda
Farmgirl #946
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  04:54:52 AM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for the advice on my geese.
How big are the hog pellets you give your geese Tina? I'm going to the feed store today and I will ask about hog pellets and look at them.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  09:02:34 AM  Show Profile
same size as rabbit pellets...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How to feed a goose? Thanks ladies. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page