Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 adding an indoor cat-question for you all
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic adding an indoor cat-question for you all Next Topic  

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  09:55:03 AM  Show Profile
our furfamily is an 8 year old terri-poo (female) named roxie and a maybe 3.5 - 4 year old (female) cat named lovey--her photo was on here once upon a time...anyhow- lovey needs a playmate- she is not EXTREMELY active but she wants to play and roxie is aging and wants only to sleep...
i'm looking at the local pound cuz i only believe in rescues...and there are some beautiful girls there - there also are some gorgeous boys who need homes- i have never had a boy cat-- any cat coming in to my house(and from the pound) will have been spayed or neutered so that is not an issue and i will pay to declaw front claws as i choose to have them done --( i am hoping my landlady approves of an additional furkid)...anyhow-
any comments on boy cats vs girl cats and introducing a boy to an almost all girl household( sweetie/roomie is a 73 year old male human)?????

two cats would be my absolute limit -and i do believe that they would adapt well once they get to know each other- i'm looking to bring in one of kindof similar age not so much a youngster...and i think that a buddy would help keep lovey occupied and out of trouble-or NOT! *

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  10:04:11 AM  Show Profile
Margo: In my experience, it was easier to introduce a male in a female household, not a male and a male. And- every male cat I had inside sprayed. My first cat did not like my husband, he sprayed inside his caps, inside his briefcase, in his closet, in his slippers, etc.... None of my female cats ever sprayed. I once had a male cat spray in an electrical outlet. I thought we were having a severe thunderstorm, the lights were blinking on and off, on and off, on and off. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  11:41:21 AM  Show Profile
Hahaha Marly that is funny about the rivalry between your hubby and the cat.
Margo I am with Marly 100% on this. Most all male cats will spray. And it is a smell that is hard to get rid of. I have 2 males that live outside. Actually about 80% on the porch and one of them comes in and doesn't spray. He is old and has been neutered a long time. But he doesn't come in much except if it is cold and now that he is getting old. The other one is never allowed in, he sprays for sure. They both also get a little aggressive with my 2 females that are mostly inside cats.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  3:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Laura: All the male cats I had were neutered and still sprayed. It's just something they do; marking their territory!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  4:43:43 PM  Show Profile
ok- so it's back to the female gender which was my first choice! i knew that male cats sprayed but i did not know that they still did it after neutering...no-i have smelled that smell...un uh....

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  5:44:42 PM  Show Profile
I agree with others who recommend sticking to girls. But may I add something I don't believe anyone else has mentioned? Please reconsider your decision to declaw any cat. It is a horrible thing to do for many reasons -- one of which is that many declawed cats will develop into aggressive biters. For more about this, you might want to visit this site for a good discussion of the pros and cons: http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?p=357&more=1
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  8:29:22 PM  Show Profile
Margo : My inside cat is declawed. Thankfully she hasn't developed the behavior of biting. Never once. There are many declawed cats at the shelters. Ask and they may have one. When the local vet gets a declawed cat, he calls me. Many people don't realize that declawed cats have a low chance of surviving outside. That is how I have come to own several declawed cats.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  07:14:00 AM  Show Profile
the declawing issue is one i will not/cannot waiver on-i have had the discussion with others and have read studies- in my case now- my landlady will not allow a cat who is not declawed tho my dog could be capable of worse damage.go figure. and since i have a wonderful house and landlady i obliged.
Lovey has bitten me twice in an unkind manner however- i am dealing with it.before her declawing she ruined a living room chair and a suitcase in short order (didn't even give the scratching post a chance!) -after i saved her from a kill shelter!she is a good girl tho otherwise!

i respect ppl who do not believe in declawing- i just cannot abide by it in my home.

i am of the belief and have been since i was about 12 years old that a cat who normally lives indoors can at least climb a tree with her front claws removed so long as she has her back claws...and they can inflict mucho damage with those back feet too!!

i've had correspondence with the pound and we are trying to work out a way that they can send the cat that i choose to get declawed -at my expense- before i even bring it home so that there is no issue with my sweetie or my landlady... i understand that will leave the furgirl reeling in the new surroundings and no claws but am prepared to deal with it in as positive and nurturing a way as i can!

i hope that i don't sound unwilling to listen by this declawing issue but i have to stand firm-or not adopt another.i DO treasure this forum and the opportunity to discuss!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  3:03:06 PM  Show Profile
One of my cats bites and claws just for the fun of it with no notice. She's like a little bobcat. I think they are going to just be who they are regardless of they have claws or not. If you are planning to keep the cat indoors mostly and keep her all her life then I don't really see why it would be a problem. There are many cats that would give up their claws to have a nice loving home. You will just have to be sure you are going to be her only home all her life before you have it done.
Laura

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  4:25:24 PM  Show Profile
I think males are more laid back ... that goes for all males ...LOL ...

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  07:57:04 AM  Show Profile
I just saw this. We allowed our girls to keep kittens from the last batch of barn kittens here. They each picked a boy cat. I am having a miserable time keeping them from spraying. They do it in several places, and I just cleaned a carpet yesterday from this. They spray on the front of my desk, my hallway wall too. Never again will I have two males at once. We also have one older female here.

However, these male cats are so loving. They have more personality than our female. All the cats are declawed (front only), and before the boys were, they tore the heck out of my couch ends.

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  08:27:41 AM  Show Profile
Hugs Kristina, that can be frustrating, are they neutered? If not it might help.
Laura

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  09:54:19 AM  Show Profile
yesterday, i dropped the bomb on sweetie that i am getting another cat- his comment (as we walk out the door to his EGD and colonoscopy) was "over my dead body"--well- this saturday should be the test of how dead his body is (NO-i'm not going to kill him!) cuz that is when i plan to go to the APL.....

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  11:57:57 AM  Show Profile
They are trying to outlaw de-clawing of cats everywhere in this country, I don't know of a vet who will do it at all ever, it is barbaric, and a mutilation of their toes, also if done in a certain way, the toe tendons will start shrinking back, which will cause the toes to curl under the paws which is very painful, there are many ways to prevent furniture clawing that is safe and effective, I sure hope you will research this more and change your mind, this is my opinion, along with alot of others...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  11:14:17 AM  Show Profile
tina; this issue is out of my hands if i choose to bring another cat into my RENTED home-

i'm at work and shouldn't be posting so keeping this short.

IF i want a cat it has to be declawed to live in this house and this house is a gem.

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  6:05:44 PM  Show Profile
When I got a cat from a shelter she was already declawed.

There are vets who still declaw. I know of someone who just had two cats declawed because they were ruining her furniture. They are not allowed outside.
Personal decision.
We have barn cats so we never have to make that decision :) They keep them.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  6:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
I have read all the comments about males cats. I have been a male cat person most of my life. I have two cats. Charlie is almost 5 years old and I have had him since he was 8 weeks old, rescued from the pound of which on top of that he was a ferial cat. Until I got married it was just him and me. He was about 5 months old when I married Paul and at first Charlie was standoff from him. When we brought the other cat into house it was a girl a year old than Charlie. She was the aggressive one and Charlie is the laid back one. I have not noticed him spraying. Charlie is my baby and our girl cat Opal is my husbands. So I guess it will depend. Older cats tend to take longer to adjust than younger kittens. Good luck with your new addition to the family.

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears. Becky #4932
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2013 :  5:05:13 PM  Show Profile
today i brought home a wonderful furgirl..renamed her Betsy- she snuggled into the crook of my elbow immediately today ...she snuggled in my lap for a bit but she's hiding now. i have her in a bedroom to explore and get the sense of the smells and sounds of the house before i introduce her to everyone. tomorrow she goes to my vet for "inspection" she's had all shots etc..she's part maine coon and part just tiger/tabby and all sweetheart! not a really big girl-about 7 # .....

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2013 :  6:36:19 PM  Show Profile
Margo. Bless you for providing an excellent home to a very LUCKY KITTY!!!
You are a special soul, & I am sure Betsy will be happy, healthy & loved!
PS... I had a very beloved Great Dane named Betsy, who always managed to have one ear inverted, or flipped over. She was such a sweetheart.
Blessings to you & your sweet new addition!!!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

Edited by - nubidane on Apr 13 2013 6:36:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2013 :  8:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
Margo,

Congrats on the new Fur Person who joined your family! I hope that you and Betty have many happy years together.

I brought home an adopted cat about 4 weeks ago and he has added such joy and life to our home...I am so happy when he jumps on my lap *demanding* that I pet his furry self.

Love those cats...
Pam

Pam
Farmgirl #1075
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  10:32:08 AM  Show Profile
Margo congrats on the new fur baby. You are wonderful for providing a good home to a rescue kitty. Kudos to you and yours. I hope you have many years of snuggling and love. You did a wonderful thing for Betsy and that makes me smile.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  1:05:38 PM  Show Profile
nothing sweeter than a rescued pet, thank you for that, and Betsy will thank you every minuet of everyday for the rest of her life

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  5:39:35 PM  Show Profile
Lucky you, Margo, and lucky, lucky Betsy!! Hugs to both of you. I'd love to see a picture of her.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  7:04:00 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your new kitty, Margo! Last summer we added a new kitten to our household of, an elderly dog, an older neutered male cat and a 5 year old female cat. They just love her! It took the female cat about 3 weeks to be completely won over, but now they are inseparable! Even our elderly dog will sometimes try to join in the play! I hope your new kitty works out as well. Also, would love to see a picture!
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  08:54:22 AM  Show Profile
All of the above is what I have experienced with boy cats, also some boy cats develop crystals in their bladder, lots of vet time and money involved. Finally, we found out the read the labels and keep the ash content down in the food. Haven't had a boy cat in 12 years, and I still miss my Butch from time to time.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic adding an indoor cat-question for you all Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page