missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  05:24:05 AM  Show Profile
I know I haven't been able to hang out my hubbies undies much this winter but geesh - they are so dingy and gray looking! I've tried bleach as well as that bluing liquid. I don't think it's our water as it's city. Help!

Would soaking them in a solution of vinegar and a cleaner do the trick? Maybe pure vinegar overnight? The undershirts aren't that old and I'm rather embarrassed that his co-workers have to see them. (But I suspect it's a woman's thing - like dirty houses, etc.)

Note: Also, I use pure vinegar for my softener and the Duggar homemade laundry detergent recipe. It simply ROCKS!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Edited by - missusprim on Mar 28 2013 05:24:58 AM

buzzn bee
True Blue Farmgirl

1061 Posts

Deborah
Muncie Indiana
USA
1061 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  05:54:31 AM  Show Profile
Karen,

I have a great tip for you.
Caution!
My grandmother told me about this tip years ago. Trust me, she always had the brightest whites.

I use it and it works like a dream. Remember to use on solid whites only. The product is Cascade dishwasher detergent. The original liquid. Not the lemon scented. Using hot water, fill washer with hot water, add about one fourth to one half cup of liquid original Cascade. Let agitate for about one minute to mix cascade with the water. Add clothing. Ooops! forgot, you add this to your regular laundry detergent before adding your clothing to the washer.

I have had white lace curtains take on a dingy look from using gas heat in my home. One washing with cascade and they are bright white again. Works nice on undergarments. Try it, it really does work.

Good luck!

Debbie H.
Buzzn Bee
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  1:33:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Deborah, I was just about to go soak a piece or two in hot water and vinegar just to see if it'd work so you caught me in time. I will surely give it a shot, I've never had undershirts, etc. look this gray.

I'll post in the next day or two to let you know how it turned out!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3440 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3440 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  1:48:54 PM  Show Profile
I am trying this today as well. Thanks for the tip Debbie.

Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  05:59:19 AM  Show Profile
Can you use this in front load he washers?

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  05:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Only Cascade I could find was the lemon scented one so I used that as I wanted to try something. I tried it and was impressed at how well it did on the first try considering they were really bad. I didn't expect all the dinginess to come out but what did come out made them look a great deal better! If I ever come across some of the scent free Cascade that you speak of I'll get some but right now I have to use up what I have.

We have a front loader and I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Frankly, I now wonder if the older top load machines do better in the long run as they do more agitating than the front load which (I think, could be wrong) does more just 'stirring it around'.

I will also add that I put an all white top of mine (VERY old) that was a poly cotton blend in it and that came out looking SOOO much better. This is one reason I try hard to find white tops in all cotton........polyester discolors after time and doesn't look nearly as nice. Colored tops - don't care.

Hope this helps and thanks again for the wonderful tip!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  7:13:46 PM  Show Profile
So how much do you mix with regular laundry soap for an he washer?

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Dingy whites! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page