Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Pigs. And fermented grains?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Pigs. And fermented grains? Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2013 :  7:26:55 PM  Show Profile
So I went ahead and got 2 more pigs. I called about them a few days ago. Then started having nightmares. Almost called and told them I couldn't get them. But I did. Went today. My grand daughter Kansas begged to go with me. So off we went. Had to go up Lookout Mt. then down the other side. Then up Sand Mt. And across it. When we got to the farm, there were some kids there. A little girl about Kansas' age on a 4-wheeler. They took off on that. Then I got to pick out the pigs. Her husband had to come load them. I got to hold their 3 month old sweet little baby girl. I got 2 males. They are around 50-60 pounds. Part Berkshire and Yorkshire.

On the way home, with all the windows down, Kansas said she didn't think she'd go with me the next time I got pigs. It was SO nasty stinky. And the poor pigs got car sick! There must have been onions in the scraps they got before getting in the car. It was really gross. Poor Kansas was in the back seat too.

Anyway, the guy works at a brewery and gets all the spent grain and feeds it to their pigs. They love it. I have heard of people doing this. And a guy that got milk from me last year works at another brewery in Chattanooga. I was going to see if I could get some from them. I also got on the list at a really good bakery in Chatt. too, for their old breads. I did get a 5 gallon bucket of the grains to give the pigs.

Now, I was just looking at a blog of a girl in Oregon. She has started fermenting grains and feeding it to her meat chickens, milk cow and goats, laying hens and pigs. They seem to be thriving on this. So I am going to try it. All you do is pour any type of grain in a 5 gallon bucket or larger, cover with water to 3-4" over the grain, add about a 1/2 cup of raw AVC and loosely cover. Let it sit til it bubbles and feed to the animals like you normally feed them. Has anyone ever tried this? She says it raises the protien percentage around 6-8% and saves her a ton of money. I'm going to town tomorrow and getting some Bragg's AVC and making a bucket.

Just wondered if anyone else does fermented grains?

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  06:34:49 AM  Show Profile
Growing up, we fed our hogs (not the other critters though) soaked corn and old bakery bread. We kept the corn in a 50 gallon drum covered with water (can't recall if we put ACV in it or not though, probably didn't). It smelled yuck, but the hogs loved it, we never had any problems with them that I can recall due to feed. The meat was always yummy, the lard turned out great.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  07:40:04 AM  Show Profile
good morning kris, we feed the stillage from a distiller here. it is a runny liquid. our pigs have learned to love it. it naturally turns to vindgar. the distiller uses all the sugar out of the corn. so we are left with minerals and protein. we also feed the brewer waste when we get it. the barley for brewing is a little different. barley can replace a portion of their diet. the spent barley from a brewer can retard growth. especially in weaner pigs so we feew it more to poultry and cows and goats. we fed the brew waste for a while to pigs. they did not grow as fast. now remember i am talking about used grain not new soaked grain. the sites i checked said it is better for older pigs. combined with other food i think either is o.k. out pigs just love the distiller waste. they are making rum this week. so no stillage for us. rum is made out of molasses. i hope this helps answer your questions. if i can help more let me know. we feed our pigs a 16 to 18 percent protein food each day.we have had no ill effects from the distiller or the brewer waste. except slow growth in young ones if not balanced. they need a higher protein to build muscle mass. hugs and happy days to you. you know how i feel about pigs. i just love love love them. especially my sweet pea

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  09:20:47 AM  Show Profile

I made a yard for the pigs. They are already out there rooting it all up.

These are the buckets of fermenting grains. Do they look alright?

Kris

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  10:41:08 AM  Show Profile
they look great kris, i want to see how this goes for you i think its a great idea.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  10:45:56 AM  Show Profile
Someone else just said they do this, but add raw milk to the mix. I'll have to try that too. Couldn't hurt. And they love old milk. They are loving their new yard. Laying in the sun. I need to make a little mud hole for them now. But it's supposed to freeze tonight. Then rain and possibly snow! Crazy March weather.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  10:50:42 AM  Show Profile
looks like your border collie is giving them the "eye"...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  11:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Yes, she would love to get in there with them for sure! She was sitting at the fence looking at them. Just staring. So I thought I'd let her get a closer look. She's a good girl. But my friend up the road just stopped a little earlier. Both dogs were out on the road, chasing cars. And both sopping wet from a swim in the pond. They are both banned to the back yard for now. I hate to keep them inside on such a pretty day. Besides, they STINK!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  12:39:51 PM  Show Profile
dogs that car chase usually have short life spans, its something you need to break asap, a friend of mine had that problem with an aussie, made a leather dog braclet for a back ankle, attached a heavy duty peice of elastic to it, then fed that thru a tennis ball, when she ran, the ball would bounce all over, on the ground and against her, took the fun out of running after cars, and eventually was able to remove it, worked like a charm...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  06:25:09 AM  Show Profile
I had called a bread bakery in Chattanooga a few weeks ago to see about getting their old breads. I am now on their list!!!!!! I stopped by last night on the way to my very first bee keeping class and picked up 6 full 50 pound bread flour sacks FULL of all kinds of breads and bagels! I am SO excited about this. Free pig food! Well, and my goats will be loving this too, since they are pig goats and love bread. So last night, I soaked some of the harder breads and bagels in milk for this morning. All I can say is, my 2 little piggies were in pig heaven!

I had also gotten 2 50 gallon drums of half corn flour and half wheat flour from a friend who works at a big truck wash. Some bags had busted open and he swept it all up and brough it to me! That's one reason I wanted pigs, because of that. So I mix some of that flour up in the goat milk too. And I just discovered last night that the goats do like it too. I don't give them but a few licks right now. But I may be adding a little to their feed.

So, I might just get a few more pigs now, since I'll be getting free food. Last time I had pigs, I had to buy breads form a bread thrift store. Way too expensive. So this will help tremendously. And I will give them some of the meat.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  07:23:33 AM  Show Profile
oh yipee kris, i am sooo excited for you. we haul bread from a store here. it is a big help with the food bill. we also get bread that we eat. some times it is not expired. we look for the organic loaves. i save these for my milk customers. with the flours just watch for constipation. now you need a produce route. i know you grow a huge garden. that will help a lot. i wish i could have my pigs out. i do work hard at the protein count each day. i do use some soy at times. i try to get non gmo. so here we feed bread, produce, alfalfa, distiller stillage, and when i have it milk. i am shopping now for a new fresh 4 quarter cow. i have a white park/jersey heifer to sell. they will grow fast and big with enough protein. protein builds protein mass in the pig. our 2 sows that weigh around 800 pounds both tested pregnant. i so hope i did it right. any way i am happy for you. you are so resourceful. all of us need to remember you are doing all this on your own most times. with the hubbie out driving truck. have you made soap? i am rendering lard next week for soap. happy days to you

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Pigs. And fermented grains? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page