True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  08:45:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

I am so frustrated...my daughter, she is 14, is sick. This has been a repetitive occurance for her...same symptoms, hitting her every 2-3 weeks since December. The symptoms are very severe sore throat, painful cough, fevers that come and go, body aches, swelling of joints and painful muscles. Headaches and eye pain are common at night too. So, the first time this happened I took her to the doctor. A rapid strep test was done....came back negative. Sent us home with no meds, said it was viral and to do home remedies. Well, it keeps coming back, typically after a very stressful week at school. Seems to always hit her on a Friday night or Sat..and lasts a good long week. She has missed 7 days of school just since January for this problem. I didn't take her back to the doc. after the initial visit, because I know they are going to tell me there is nothing wrong..it is just viral. But, this time, it hit her Sat., she has been running high fevers, eye pain, headaches, severe sore throat, horrible knee pain and leg pain. Took her to the dr. on Monday....sent us home yet again saying it was viral. Rapid strep came back negative as did delayed test. Blood was drawn to test calcium levels, vitamin d, mono, and white blood cell count. It was negative for mono, but she is vitamin d deficient. So far this week, she has missed 3 days of school, and last night she was horrible. The fever would not go down....100.6, tried motrin, wet cloth on forehead...sore throat was so bad..she gargles with warm salt water...eats popsicles, sucks on hard candies, drinks lots of liquids...coughing is really bad and painful as well. This morning she does not have a fever, but her cough is still painful and throat is raw. We have an appt. at 1:40, but I am frustrated. I want them to give her antibiotics. The mucous that does come up is greenish/yellow. From my experience, the fevers and mucous would constitute an infection. I just need some advice, we are doing everything the doctor said to do and it isn't working. Is anyone else having issues where they take their kids or themselves to the doctor and nothing is done? Seriously, I feel like we are just being swept under the rug. It is not normal to get the same sicknesses repeatedly for an otherwise healthy child. If they send us away again with nothing....what should I do? I am to the point I will have words for the doctor...and I am the type of person where I will hold off as long as possible with not saying anything, but when push comes to shove, I am fierce, especially when it is about family. Should I let loose today? I have read over the years that doctors are trying to stay away from dispensing antibiotics because bacteria is rapidly getting stronger so it is basically ineffective. But, when I worked as a Pharmacy Tech, antibiotics were dispensed so much to patients and children who were not nearly as sick as my daughter. Am I missing something in the system....because I truly feel like I am. Please let me know what you all think? Erica

Farm Girl #2731

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  11:37:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh it makes me furious when I am not taken seriously at the doctor. I finally found a wonderful MD who listens to me and explains his thinking. If I were there I can just hear my words coming out of my mouth to that doctor, "I really think this is a case of medical abandonment." In order for her to loosen the infected phlem mucinex has always been an accompanyment to antibiotics I had been prescribed for bronchitis, etc. This may help her be able to expell easier, because her coughing tells me it is non-productive. Also, vitamin c usually helps. Vitamin D supplementation is a good start but it doees take weeks for a deficiency to become corrected. I don't know she could have a case of walking pneumonia since the lower fever, or just a plain old respiratory infection. One time when I was not responding to antibiotics but had a very high fever of 103 degrees and bronchitis, the doctor over the phone told me to put hot wet compresses on my chest and back using a towel soaked in hot water as warm as I could stand without burning the skin. He had me repeat it over and over for 15 minutes. Then suddenly the fever broke. It may work with her own immune system. Basically it gets the blood to the infected area so it can do its job. I am not a MD and my comment is only an opinion from my own experiences, not to serve as medical advice. The mucinex has been a lifesaver in many times my family has been ill and it has kept the mucus thin to expell rather than become a severe infection. Best to you now. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  11:38:04 AM  Show Profile
Last year I had something like that (without the joint swelling and painful muscles) and it turned out it was a sinus infection that I let go too long and I ended up with bronchitis. Doc gave me antibiotics and some little yellow pills (can't remember the name) for cough.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  2:37:40 PM  Show Profile
If the antibiotic do not do the trick I would ask for a Igenex Lyme Disease test. Sore throat, body aches, painful joints, eye pain, headaches, knee pain and muscles can be Lyme. It can hit anytime. If she get sicker on the anti-boiotics that is a sign of Lyme also. Even if the test comes back negative and these weird symptoms do not go away email me and I will help you get a Lyme doctor that will access her. A regular doctor does not have the skills to detect a case of Lyme Disease. Does she have any rashes or red rings on her skin? This is not something to mess around with if she continues to decline in health.
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  2:50:08 PM  Show Profile
Yes, get her checked for Lyme/Lupus. I have a friend who went un diagnosed for 9 years due to the ignorant medical community. Dr's now say if we knew back then something could have been done to lessen severity. Also make sure her diet is dairy/sugar free. Those things cause inflammation.

STYX the Band rocks!
Have you hugged your cat today?
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  3:59:31 PM  Show Profile
Well, we are home...with nothing.... absolutely nothing. I am so upset, angry, then I wanted to cry because I feel like such a failure. The doctor checked her again...still says it is viral/flu...and the reason she gets it repeatedly is because I didn't get the flu shot for her...and she is getting every flu bug in this area. Which doesn't make sense to me because it was my understanding the flu shot is generated for the flu strain in that area, not a conglomerate of flu's. Wouldn't that mean that everyone who got the flu shot, would still get the flu because it doesn't cover ALL the flu's? I insisted it was bronchitis...had a print out of the symptoms, and kept a detailed diary of her symptoms, and home treatments since I had her in on Monday...and she completely disregarded it. First, she came in and called it the "crud", which is fine, but I don't expect a doctor to use such an unprofessional term. Then she completely disregarded the Vitamin D issue, which really upset me. I am Vitamin D deficient and suffered from muscle pain, joint pain and tiredness before my diagnosis....and had to be put on Rx strength D to boost me up. I am ok now, but still take D3 every day, eat lots of salmon and tuna, eggs, etc. and still have some pains...but, if I didn't follow up with the issue...where I would be now? I think the pain and muscle issue might have to do with the lack of D too. Either way, that doesn't fix what is going on now. I am curious about the Lyme/Lupus end because I didn't even consider that. She did have a tick on her a few yrs ago. It was in her scalp and she yanked it out. It caused her a sharp pain..then she had a headache a few days afterwards. Something is going on with her, just because this is a repetitive occurance. I even reminded the doctor of the last time she was in before Christmas with the same symptoms and the doc said, it is just a virus. She wouldn't acknowledge seeing her. I am so disgusted with Geisinger right now....I cannot understand how a doctor refuses to consider the words of the Mom and child. Right now, she has another fever and chills. Her throat is so sore. I gave her a spoonful of honey and made her a banana/chocolate smoothie to cool her throat down. Gave her some medicine to relieve the pain...but I know that isn't going to help, nor will it help the fever. Its going to be another long night. She is out of school till Monday. Thanks for your concern and suggestions...I feel like I can't trust or depend on anyone in the medical field. What a joke. Erica

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  4:43:29 PM  Show Profile
Leigh, What state are you in? You need to get your daughter in to see a Literate Lyme Disease doctor right away. The headache after the bite is common with this disease. Also the cycle of being sick is also very common. All the symptoms you are posting are associated with Lyme. I can find out what Lyme doctors are in your area. They will take you seriously and try to help you. They understand. It took me over over 30 years to get a diagnosis. Some take insurance and some don't. Please prayerfully consider seeing a Lyme doctor. Lyme is becoming an epidemic and no one is exempt.
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  06:07:27 AM  Show Profile
Cozynana, I will consider your offer...thank you. Becky did sleep through the night and is still sleeping as I write this. Resting is the best medicine. The tick bite was a few years ago, but, I am going to do some research on the internet about the symptoms and how long it can take to show up in humans. If that is what she has....then that explains a lot of the repetitive symptoms she has been having. I will be in contact soon with my decision. Thanks, Erica

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  12:24:19 PM  Show Profile
Erica, I am not trying to corner or push you into anything. I just know how sick a person can get with Lyme, because I have been there. If you are a reader there is a new book called The Beginner's Guide to Lyme Disease Diagnosis and Treatment Made Simple by Nicola McFadzean, N.D. It is the best book I have read on Lyme and symptoms. I would be willing to copy and send you 12 pages of the signs and symptoms of Lyme Disease if you would be willing to read that many pages. Your daughter can look it over and see how many, if any of the symptoms she has. I would do almost anything to keep one person from going down the road I have been down. If I don't see a reply I will leave well enough alone. How ever this turns out, I hope your daughter has a speedy recovery and back to herself quickly. Lymenet.org is a great place where people from all over the nation chat about symptoms and diagnosis of Lyme. You may be able to view and not post without signing up. Take care.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  1:09:23 PM  Show Profile
Erica - as I was reading your original post, all I could think of was that it might be strep in the blood... Unfortunately, it was something my cousin had, but he has long since passed due to cancer, so I can't ask him about it for you. I am wondering - did your doctor do a blood test for that as well? I know the strep test for the throat was done, but I am almost positive that there is a completely different test for strep in the blood. Kem may be totally right - it could also be Lyme... My brother had it and believe me it was no picnic. And please remember it's all over the news about the dangerous virus strains out there. I feel strongly that your doctor is wrong that this is the result of your daughter not having the flu shot! OMGoodness! SERIOUSLY?! I won't go there, but trust me... there are so many flu viruses out there that one shot definitely did not cover them all. If at all possible, please consider a second opinion from a doctor who will listen to you - perhaps one who is already seen by a trusted friend or family member? I hate that your doctor isn't taking this more seriously, and feel your concern - we've been there. Please trust your instincts, though, because I sincerely believe you have reason to be concerned. BIG hugs to you - and my prayers are with you and your daughter! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 07 2013 1:10:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  3:30:45 PM  Show Profile
Well, ladies, Momma Bear hit the ground running and took the bull by the horns to get something done. I took Becky to a completely different clinic outside of the Geisinger Medical Establishment, and guess what?!?! She has bronchitis....and they did a nose swab for flu....which the PCM never did...and it came back NEGATIVE!!! I am a mess to say the least..with relief and anger flowing through me I can't come down...feel like I had a shot of caffeine. I did not tell this new doctor that I had Becky seen at her PCM twice this past week....wanted to keep it objective. She examined Becky, did the tests and put her on antibiotics and prednisone. My girl is asleep on the couch for the first time all week without a fever and no throat pain. When I got home I immediately called the clinic where the PCM works, and left a message for the Operations Manager to contact me because I am filing a complaint against this doctor and her colleague. I also contacted my insurance company, told them of the situation and removed her as Becky's PCM and designated my PCM to be Becky's as well. I cancelled next weeks appt with that clinic as well. Actually I was so mad I wanted to confront the doctor myself and not go through channels and drove to the clinic (without Becky) and was going to go in...as I said I am fierce. But, I sat there in the parking lot and decided to just call first and see if I can get with the operations manager and tomorrow she is contacting me. I still want to wring that doctors neck....it is one thing to wrong me...I can decide if I want to deal with it or not...but when it comes to my kids...that is a totally different story.

So, now I am hoping to get Becky healed enough to go back to school. Once we do that, I am going to do more research on the Lyme disease aspect. Cozynana, I did look up some stuff last night on the internet...but couldn't find a listing for local doctors. If you have a way of doing that I would be extremely grateful:) And you are not bothering me...I asked for help...:)
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions...I do appreciate it. I will let you know how tomorrow goes. Erica:)

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  4:52:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I'm so glad you did go elsewhere and found out what was really wrong - AND that she's doing better now. I know what you must've felt like. A few years back, I had a rash that my doctor repeatedly brushed off as "razor stubble" and then flea bites... I knew he was wrong, but he wouldn't hear me. He actually mocked me a little, which really irritated me. Finally I went for a second opinion, only to learn I had MRSA!!!! Can you believe it?! Needless to say, since then my faith in doctors is slim to none. Always trust your instincts, Mom.... that's why God gave them to us! :) I hope Becky will be all better soon! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  5:54:03 PM  Show Profile
Erica,
Please read my DD's story about Lyme Disease and all the issues she has had. We were misdiagnosed and treated for something else so were never able to catch it in the first or second phase when it can be cured. She has Chronic Lyme now. I will post the link to the forum topic for you. Please, please get a Lyme titer test. My DD has had numerous other problems all related to Lyme. Some of them were strep infections, bronchitis and kidney infections. Here is the link http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46176 There is also a documentary called Under Our Skin about how the American Medical Assoc. does not believe in Chronic Lyme Disease and Doctors who treat it have been harrassed and law suited out of business. If you need any more info, just e-mail me through this forum. I have become somewhat of an expert on the subject.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  7:44:30 PM  Show Profile
On the site lymenet.org there is a place called Seeking Doctors. You can make a post and ask for referrals in your state. If you don't want to do that call Judith Weeg. She is the president of the Lyme Disease United Coalition. It is a national organization and she has many many doctor names to share. She is wonderful. Call and leave a message and she will get back to you. She is a great resource and will visit with you about Lyme and help you find a doctor close to you. Her number is 1-515-432-3628 or 1-800-311-7518. I have better luck with the 515 number. My hope is your daughter gets over this bout and does not need further assistance.
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  2:57:09 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Cozynana..your help means so much to me. Becky is doing great today!! She is talkative, pesty and get this...window shopping on the internet for clothing...lol. She hasn't been like this the since last Friday. I am so relieved. Last night I was so tired...I fell into bed at 9pm....and slept all night. She did too. Thanks again for your support and care. I will update you all on the lyme aspect when I know more. Hugs, Erica

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2013 :  6:32:11 PM  Show Profile
Hope things continue to get better. Let me know if I can do anything in the future.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Daughter Sick Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page