Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Saving Natural Gas Next Topic  

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  7:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
When I moved to my mobile home I was shocked when I got a natural gas bill for $125. I have worked really hard over the last month finding the drafts and blocking them any way I can with pillows (skylight and bathroom window), draft-blocking curtains (bedrooms), either fabric or those foil heat blocking/draft blocking curtains (kitchen and one living room window), and turning down my thermostat to 61 degrees at night.
I switched to space heaters just for the area where I am sitting and in the bedroom to warm the room before I turn it off to go to sleep.
I am so happy with the result...I saved $50 on my gas bill this month and "only" had to pay $75. I will continue to find ways to save gas.
Warm hugs everybody,
Terri

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  06:56:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Terri,
I have a modular home. Not sure of any difference, but I am suffering thru the same issues. I have used kerosene for years, but the price of kerosene rises every year too. Last week My kero heater wick needed replacing and my propane tanks went empty. I checked them the week before and they were ok. When I woke up to a 49* house, I called the propane company and they said the gauges are often wrong. And $100 for an emergency fill. I declined and bought a space heater. My question is, Is there a real savings, or are you just paying the electric company instead of the gas company. When I have the heater running, I notice the lights dimming. My 1400 sq foor house costs about $18 a week to heat with kero and the house heater set in the fifties. I still used $550 worth of gas over 10 weeks. I would apreciate any farmgirl opinions.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Let all that you do, be done in love. I Corinthians 16:14
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  08:24:56 AM  Show Profile
We do plenty of draft blocking too. We have a big picture window (also in a mobile) so I take thick blankets and roll them up lengthwise and tie at the ends. It makes a perfect draft dodger. Oh and using the plastic for the windows and outlet insulation

The best way to save gas is to purchase an on demand water heater. We purchased one several years ago and it paid for itself within the first 2 years. It isn't running all the time so you aren't paying for that plus no wait for hot water. I can have the dishwasher going and take a shower without running out of hot water, the pressure may drop a little but that's it. And an on demand is perfect for those of us who love baths :)

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Saving Natural Gas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page