True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  06:57:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,

Quick question for ya....I am considering taking the leap and making my own bread. Reason being, I am so turned off by the breads in the grocery stores...they just taste so bland to me. Also, I am hoping to make this another staple that is made from scratch instead of store bought...just better for us all around. My biggest issue is my relationship with yeast...it just doesn't work for me. I seriously think I kill it before it has a chance to do its thing. So, I have been considering buying a bread machine to assist me in the bread making process. If you have a favorite machine or any suggestions on how to make a delicious loaf of bread...I am all ears:) Thanks so much, Erica

Farm Girl #2731

Edited by - LeighErica on Mar 09 2013 08:55:59 AM

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  07:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Yeast is really simple get yourself a thermometer. Yeast likes water about 110 to 115 if you have a water softener connected to your house water supply buy bottled water or some wells have to many minerals for it to work well. Don't heat the water in the micro but on top of the stove. Fresh yeast is a must. Put your yeast for your bread in a bowl add the required amount of water/liquid warm and a 1/2 teas of sugar let it sit about 10/15 min and it will get foamy and be ready to go. This is called proofing or just making sure the yeast is alive. You really don't need to work the bread that hard and the less you do the softer loaf you will get. Also where you let the bread rise is important not to hot and if it says to cover do so. I like my oven with the light on for the time I make the bread and then turn it off for the rise. I LOVE to make bread and a bread machine is ok but this is really fun to do and good work out for your arms.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  08:24:21 AM  Show Profile
Interesting that you say this Diana, because when I made the donuts....the proof seemed to go well, but the dough didn't rise hardly at all during the dough stage, nor after the dough was cut into donuts. So, I am wondering now if it is my water. We are on city water, but it is very (and I mean very) hard! There are mineral deposits all over the sink faucets, my coffeepot, the fridge water dispenser...it is horrible. We do not have a water softener but have considered having one installed. I do use distilled water in my floor steamer and iron...to keep them from dying...I wonder, would that be the water I should use...or just regular bottled water? I do have a thermometer...and I do let the dough rise in the oven with the light on...so, what do you think? Thank you for your comment....I would have never considered the water issue. Erica:)

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  08:29:23 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Diana. Another thing you can try is to add 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger while mixing the yeast with the water. The ginger acts as a catalyst for the yeast, I found this tip in an old bread making book from the 30's and it really does work without tasting the ginger.

Because of shoulder injuries I do use a bread machine now, just for the dough only cycle. It makes things much easier for me. The machine mixes and kneads the dough, when it is done rising I take it out, let sit for a few minutes, shape the dough (loaves, rolls, etc) and let rise again before baking.

I have a Zoijurishi machine that I picked up at the thrift store for $7.00. I would recommend checking the thrift before investing in a new one. I would be happy to share some recipes for the machine if you would like too Erica. :)

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  12:39:39 PM  Show Profile
Wow!!!! $7!!! What a bargain...considering they are pretty expensive..I was pricing them on Amazon yesterday. I will pick up some ginger at the grocery store too this week. I am going to try all of your suggestions. Not sure yet about a machine...I tend to like to ponder a huge purchase...and then talk myself out of it...hahaha...but a thrift store find like that is awesome. My daughter in law mentioned that the pizza shop where she worked would make their own dough, and the yeast came in a block, like butter..are any of you familiar with that? Would that work for home kitchens too? Thanks, Erica

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  12:54:03 PM  Show Profile
I too use a standing mixer Kitchen Aid for the mixing and kneading. But the water and the temp of the rise is important! Make sure it is not a rapid rise yeast also. Some are only good for one rise. When you punch down after first rise be gentle just fold it over on itself a couple times . Then when shaping again minimal amount of kneading/working the dough after the first rise? And also the flour you use can make a hugh difference.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

Edited by - gramadinah on Mar 01 2013 2:53:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  12:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Today, after much reading about making bread, and your comments, I made my first loaf of bread. And it worked:) I am so happy:) I used bottled water warmed to 100 degrees just like Dinah recommended. And used my KitchenAid to do the mixing and first knead. The recipe I used was from a YouTube video titled "Easy Bread Recipe-Faster Than A Bread Machine" by OliviaKitchen. Just converted her measurements to cups and teaspoons. Let the bread rise in my oven with just the oven light on...and a pan of water in the oven...also left the pan of water in the oven while baking. My only change for next time, is to use unsalted butter because I feel like the bread is too salty for our tastes. Other than that...I am thrilled...and will NOT be buying a bread machine:) Thanks girls....Erica:_)

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  2:15:43 PM  Show Profile
Awesome! You GO Girl!

I don't use a bread machine, either. I do take full advantage of my KitchenAid mixer when making regular bread, though - I just love it!

Just wondering, Erica - did you use regular flour or bread flour? I wonder how much of a difference that would make? I use regular flour, and my loaves, although heavier, rise just fine.

Keep up the awesomeness!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  2:52:43 PM  Show Profile
Nini,

I used bread flour today. I think this bread I made today is heavy, but the freshness and taste combined is great. Just the difference in taste from store bought bread makes me happy. Many years ago, a friend gave me a sourdough starter...but with moving I wasn't able to keep it going. We loved the homemade sour dough bread I would make. So, I am going to make a starter with a recipe I found and see how that goes. Having Becky eat my homemade bread today made me happy too..since she has been so sick..it is something good for her to eat without a lot of junk in it;) Hugs, Erica

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  3:47:07 PM  Show Profile
http://www.frugallivingnw.com/frugal-homemaking/amazing-no-knead-bread-step-by-step-recipe/ Try this one it is so good.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2013 :  08:55:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Diana, I checked out the blog and am going to attempt that recipe this week. I could make it and do the first rise overnight.

Today, I made my 2nd loaf. As you can see from the picture the bread on the left was from my first loaf, made yesterday. It is almost gone...and the crust was torn when I took it from my pan. I greased my pan with butter and it seemed to stick...so today I greased my pan with solid shortening...and it came out like a breeze. So, the loaf on the right is my 2nd loaf. Taking it to my hubby...he didn't come home this weekend because of Becky being sick and he had surgery...so he needs some home baked love too:) This loaf is awesome..I changed some things. I didn't add salt to my dough because the butter has salt in it....and I increased my yeast to 1 tablespoon. I also decreased my cooking time to 25 minutes instead of 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Thank you to everyone for your inspiration. Erica:)

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread Makers-Picture Posted Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page