Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 acorns, oak leaves and goats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic acorns, oak leaves and goats Next Topic  

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  4:00:44 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies, I am looking to get goats soon. But I have been reading that anything oak is poison to goats. I that is all we have is oak trees. So I hope yall can help mse with this and my heart will not be brokend I can still hav goats. Thanks Deborah

now we are on our forever farm. God has blessed us.

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  10:19:21 AM  Show Profile
Deborah I kept goats for a long time and I might be wrong but I don't recall anything about oak toxicities for goats,I do know cherry and chokecherry leaves at certain times of the year are dangerous but I have never known anything about oak leaves,I have heard of the herbalist Susun Weed's site about one of her goats eating a bunch of acorns and getting sick then developing severe mastitis afterward so maybe there's something to that,I'll try to find a link to that article again and post it here for you,there was some good goat advice in it.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Nostalgic Needleworks http://www.etsy.com/shop/NostalgicNeedleworks
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  4:43:40 PM  Show Profile
I've had lots of goats (and sheep) kept in an area that is covered with oak trees, leaves and acorns and NEVER had any issues with this. I've never heard that they are toxic. We have lots of oaks down here and the other people I know who keep goats have never had any problems. I don't think it should be an issue.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2013 :  6:55:27 PM  Show Profile
All leaves from deciduous (not evergreen) trees are poisonous after they first freeze and are limp and dark green. We have acorn bushes here and people that move here are always saying that they are poisonous to horses but horses love to munch on them. I am sure if they got too much it might be a problem but the bushes get the reputation of being poisonous because of what I mentioned above. Leaves are poison right after they freeze and before they dry and turn brown because during that time they have a concentrated amount of nitrogen in them. Even fruit trees are like this. Most animals know better than to eat them when they are like that but might if there is nothing else. I do not know about oak. They don't grow here unless they are planted. Goats will destroy anything that is a young sapling. I keep mine in a pen. You can probably google a list of stuff that is poisonous to goats.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  07:43:42 AM  Show Profile
I didn't know that about the leaves being poison after freezing but before drying. That is very interesting!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  09:39:07 AM  Show Profile
after all i have read on-line and here I think I am not going to worry about the goats...I hope they will be smart enough not to eat to many acorns...and I will try to keep the area they will be in as clean as I can...i will be doing this by myself...
Thanks Ladies
Deborah

now we are on our forever farm. God has blessed us.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic acorns, oak leaves and goats Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page