CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  2:03:23 PM  Show Profile
what are you girls doing to 'winterize' your gardens and ready them for next spring?

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  2:34:12 PM  Show Profile
I usually make sure all stuff is pulled that needs to be out of the veggie garden - things like dead string bean runners, etc. I put away all hoses and garden items. I also get some steer/compost and put it all over the garden - both veggie and flower to sit all winter. With the good rains it soaks in good to be tilled in the spring. If I have a lot of leaves that fall, those go over the top of the rhurbarb and artichoke to protect them. Everything else is mulched good so I don't have to worry to much about freezing. If I know we are going to have a severe freeze, I may go down to the local feedstore for some straw to protect my roses. I clean up everything that has already gone to seed and died down to just brown stuff - do a bit of trimming of the lawn, last minute weeding and then I am done. I let nature do the rest and hope for the best.

Anne

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  4:55:47 PM  Show Profile
good advice .. i'll make sure i mulch the gardens too. have you ever done the 'newspaper' covering thing? i do have straw bales (hope there are no weed seeds in them!) to cover my ONE rose bush with! we cut back all the 'frost bit' things and all the brown weeds ... cut ALL my sweet annie .. it is hanging EVERYWHERE in the cabin .. yummy aroma! and i had already cut my sunflowers and am letting them dry real good before packaging them up for the gurlfrenz who sent me envelopes. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  06:45:47 AM  Show Profile
One thing I did learn from a rose grower is to let the roses go around October (here in Oregon) and develop rose hips - this helps them to go dormat and withstand cold weather. So I stopped pruning any dead off in September and just let them go until February/March when I start to prune again.

Anne

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  07:07:25 AM  Show Profile
My roses are super small yet, so I just hack them down to the base (after they develope hips and I harvest the hips for tea) and then mound dirt around them and put a cover on them (that's how we do it Northwoods style ;) )

The rest of the garden is getting finished up this weekend. We are burning the stalks and emty head of the sunflowers to make ash-sunflower ash is nearly 70% potash! wooo hooo....so once everyhting is finally tilled under we will sprinkle the area with the potash then mulch and newspaper and then cover with torn up hay bales. The back fields are still in cureing mode as the soil is really bad, so we have planted white clover to help cure it. I have to dig up my glads this weekend also as well as my begonia tubers to divide. I also have Teasel to plant (it's a plant in the fall seed, very strange looking plant that you have to re-seed every two years.)

So that's all....:D

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  08:55:21 AM  Show Profile
We pulled out all the dead stalks and all and put them in the compost pile and added last years manure from "that" pile and tilled it once so far...had to take out the little cuke fence and all the tomato cages and supports too. I would like to start piling leaves on the garden and till it at least one more time before the snow flies.
Does anyone have tips for young rasberry plants? do I just let them be or do they need special care to overwinter? I planted them this past spring (only 4 plants) and havn't had them before.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  09:21:07 AM  Show Profile
Do you know what kind of raspberries you have Jenny? There are two kinds...one that fruits on the previous year's new canes and one that fruits on the current year's new canes. Ours fruit on the previous years new canes, so all canes that bore fruit this year were cut to the ground and new growth was cut to head height and tied up. These canes will bear in the spring. I also clean up well underneath them and then mulch them with hay and llama manure.
Asparagus fronds have also been cut to the ground and mulched with llama beans (manure!) and hay. We lightly tilled the garden and planted fall rye. This makes a good cover crop and is a neccessity here to keep the topsoil in place if we flood.
I have four very large compost bins and they were all cleaned out and spread and new material put in for spring spreading. I alternate layers of spent garden waste with lawn clippings and chicken manure...it's smokin' hot! I must get the covers on them so they don't get saturated with winter rain (it's on the list)!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  10:29:44 AM  Show Profile
Our fields are plowed and have cover crop in some. Posts for tomatos were taken down. Renegade seedlings that sprouted have finally been nipped w/ the cold these past 3 nights. A few more warm days, and we almost could have had yello squash again.

Funny, I was parusing Sees of Change just last night.

Our friend down the road has bok choy. I may try and grow some early next spring.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Winterizing Gardens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page