magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  10:37:14 AM  Show Profile
This year, because of my bad knees, we will try gardening in barrel halves. We have set up our first row, tweleve barrel halves on landscape timbers, on top off 2 cinder blocks at each end and in the middle. I have seen several articles on this method and the biggest obstacle for me was finding barrels I could afford. One of the local feed stores sells plastic 55-gallon barrels for $25 each, I get mine for $20 each from a road-side vendor, he is in the same place Fridays and Saturdays. My truck bed holds 6 barrels, my husband cuts them in half, and I drill the drainage holes with the small drill I got for Christmas. The goal is 5 more rows of 6 halves per row. The plan is to put tomatoes, bush beans, and squash in the "pots", melons and pumpkins in the remaning raised beds. I will let you know how this works out.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  10:49:04 AM  Show Profile
Good luck with your barrel gardening. I am going to be growing veggies in containers this year too. We moved to a beautiful townhouse last summer & containers is the only way for me to go with the vegetables.

Let us know how your produce does. Have you thought of trying potatoes in a barrel too? I grew them in a sack and they did just fine.

Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Feb 21 2013 10:49:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  11:09:31 AM  Show Profile
What do you plan to fill your barrels with and how much? I've always found it hard to scrounge enough dirt up to fill them. My main problem, so I haven't started gardening in raised beds either. I would have to buy the earth. I have four barrels in front of my house. They contain flowers. One of them is cut in half from top to bottom and I get a lot of compliments on it. The others have liners made of plastic set in them that are between 10 and 12 inches deep. That way I can use potting soil to fill them.

Good luck. Your idea sounds really good.

Betty in Pasco

Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  8:05:18 PM  Show Profile
I bought 40 bags of top soil with compost for 99 cents a 40# bag at a local big name nursery. We will be renting a bobcat to move some large logs from some trees we cut down and will use it to widen and deepen a drainage ditch in the pasture. I will use the dirt from that and compost to fill some of the barrel pots. If you have a pickup or access to one, go to a local dirt yard and buy what you need. It is cheaper than buying potting soil in bags.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  8:21:27 PM  Show Profile
I have grown lots in my barrels I put 4/5 inches of fill stuff in the bottom for drainage. I have used all kinds of things from rocks to empty milk containers.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  05:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I do most of all my garden in tubs/barrel halves! This year i am adding 30 more barrel halves to my garden. I got my by barrels for $6 each so $3 each half. Plus i also have 40 other tubs(mineral tubs from cattle mineral) but they dont last as many years as the barrel halves. I grow everything in them!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!

http://homesteddinmomsworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  06:35:13 AM  Show Profile
I think we are going to try to do potatoes in a barrel this year. Less space!

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2013 :  07:55:29 AM  Show Profile
I have one very, very old wooden wine cask that the bands have slipped down and do not support the staves. However, a neighbor said that the best thing I could do would be to screw the bands into the staves before I ever started planting. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Barrel gardening?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page