Author Holidays: Previous Topic Christmas Family Reunion in D.C. Next Topic  

jaimigirl
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Jaimi
Sequim WA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2006 :  9:32:40 PM  Show Profile
My brother and SIL are hosting our family for the week before Christmas. There will be so many "firsts". Praises to my Sister-In-Law Pamela, who is slightly trembling in anticipation.

What are some of the basics to running a home-ful of well meaning relatives? Ideas for sight seeing from West Virginia?
Thanks, Jaimi

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  08:52:47 AM  Show Profile
Are you going to be near Alexandria area and DC? We went two years ago to Alexandria/DC to have Christmas with my sister - before she moved to Alaska. She lived in Alexandria, not too far from old town. We took the train into DC - didn't have to worry about a rental car or parking and toured some of the Smithsonian museums, went on a night tour (bus) to all the monuments - it was 19 degrees, clear and cold - so nice to get in a warm bus. We went shopping in old town Alexandria - all decked out for the holidays. Went and visited Christ's Church - where George Washington use to worship. Went to Mt. Vernon - very cool during the holidays. Saw the Library of Congress - also decorated for the Holidays. We had a blast - so much to see. We were there for a week and still didn't see everything. I guess if you can get to Monticello - that is another great place to check out - we didn't have time. While we were there - my dad helped my sister with baking of stuff for Christmas morning. We chipped in for groceries for dinners - Mom helped with Christmas eve dinner, we all chipped in and helped in some form or fashion. DH's and my job many times was to walk the dog and keep her entertained.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  09:05:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh how fun! When I was a kid we all did thanksgiving together (18 of us) and it was a blast! Have lots of games, videos and stuff for the kids. We always played balderdash as a family. It was always so fun! Of course lots of food is always good. Not sure about sightseeing stuff up there but we would always take a trip as a family to see a movie together. Touch football in the yard is fun too. If you are in the country a big bonfire with hot cider, coffe and marshmallows to toast would be neat too. You could gather around and sing christmas carols! Hafe fun and let us know how it goes.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

jaimigirl
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Jaimi
Sequim WA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  9:56:31 PM  Show Profile
Thank-you , for the great reply! I, too, like the idea of a warm sight-seeing bus at night. I'll find out where Christ's Church is, sounds wonderful. We'll be in Falls Church, near Alexandria. My brother is a lobbyist for local governments and used to work for John McCain when we lived in AZ. He invited us out for a "Damn The Federal Government" Christmas. I've thought to visit the Holocaust Museum as none of us have been. Again, thanks, Jaimi
quote:
Originally posted by asnedecor

Are you going to be near Alexandria area and DC? We went two years ago to Alexandria/DC to have Christmas with my sister - before she moved to Alaska. She lived in Alexandria, not too far from old town. We took the train into DC - didn't have to worry about a rental car or parking and toured some of the Smithsonian museums, went on a night tour (bus) to all the monuments - it was 19 degrees, clear and cold - so nice to get in a warm bus. We went shopping in old town Alexandria - all decked out for the holidays. Went and visited Christ's Church - where George Washington use to worship. Went to Mt. Vernon - very cool during the holidays. Saw the Library of Congress - also decorated for the Holidays. We had a blast - so much to see. We were there for a week and still didn't see everything. I guess if you can get to Monticello - that is another great place to check out - we didn't have time. While we were there - my dad helped my sister with baking of stuff for Christmas morning. We chipped in for groceries for dinners - Mom helped with Christmas eve dinner, we all chipped in and helped in some form or fashion. DH's and my job many times was to walk the dog and keep her entertained.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

Go to Top of Page

jaimigirl
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Jaimi
Sequim WA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  10:06:14 PM  Show Profile
FOOD, Lot's of Food! I quite agree with you. My hat is off to those who can understand and acutually play a game of football, Touch or otherwise. I like the idea of playing together outside. My brother has a basketball hoop! Hot cider and coffee sound yummy. Thank-you, for reminding me that it is the simple things in life that string us together. Peacefully, Jaimi
quote:
Originally posted by willowtreecreek

Oh how fun! When I was a kid we all did thanksgiving together (18 of us) and it was a blast! Have lots of games, videos and stuff for the kids. We always played balderdash as a family. It was always so fun! Of course lots of food is always good. Not sure about sightseeing stuff up there but we would always take a trip as a family to see a movie together. Touch football in the yard is fun too. If you are in the country a big bonfire with hot cider, coffe and marshmallows to toast would be neat too. You could gather around and sing christmas carols! Hafe fun and let us know how it goes.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  07:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I went to DC when I was 14 with my grandfather for a WW2 reunion. It was amazing! From my hotel room I could look down INTO the pentago! no kidding! I even have pictures!

We went to the Vietnam memorial to see my uncle's name and toured all the monuments in the vicinity (quickly! Too quickly! I would LOVE to go back!) We also went to the Air and Space muesuem at the Smithsonian. "The Spirit of St. Louis" is there which on of my great grand fathers and a great uncle helped build!

Also if you are interested in naval history- there is a naval museum down on the river that is really really neat too. You could even go to Ford theater where Lincoln was shot!

There is so much historical stuff to see and I am sure there is lots of shows and such too! Hope you have as good of a time as I did!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:36:34 AM  Show Profile
My main suggestion is to have a few things "planned" and then let folks do what they want othertimes--my husband has a large family, and they always have an "itinerary" and it drives me crazy. But, Oh, I love DC at that time of year!!! My best friend, Kristin and her boyfriend at the time was a diplomat's son, and I had Thanksgiving dinner with she and his family in the most gorgeous home I've ever been in--really festive diplomatic neighborhood, each house decked out in so many flags. It snowed that Thanksgiving, and she lived in Old Town, too, so we did a lot of quaint shopping and went into DC proper to visit the National Gallery and the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History because we are both total fossil nerds. We also went to Adams Morgan to a really fabulous french restaurant, but I can't remember the name, and then on to an art house theater. Adams Morgan is such fun! Falls Church is more suburban, but I'm sure there will be enough to do wherever you decide to go. So much history and beauty in one place, I'm very jealous!!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Christmas Family Reunion in D.C. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page