kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  07:34:18 AM  Show Profile
I am going to be looking for a new sewing machine. I am NOT a sewer at all, but can sew curtains or shopping bags, quilts, things like that. Easy stuff. But I would like to get a machine that would be a step up from the very small Kenmore that I have but doesn't work. I am NOT technical either. It scares me to no end. But I would be willing to take classes to learn. I want to learn how to make actual clothes. I cannot afford anything too expensive so probably no more than say $500?

So any suggestions for a novice sewer? Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  12:11:15 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I have been sewing for at least fifty years (yikes!). I can't suggest a brand, as my "best" machine is a thirty year old Singer. If you are near a store that services machines and sells trade ins, I would go there first.

I would recommend a machine with a free arm and buttonhole maker. Zigzag is a must, for covering raw edges of seams. Don't be impressed by all the decorative stitches as a selling feature. I have never used them, and would rather do a little hand embroidery.

Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  12:49:59 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Rosemary. You can get a very nice sewing machine with basic stitches and all metal gears. I love the basic Singer, Brother's, Huskey's and Janome. They all have their best features. They are all truly workhorses in the sewing area.

Look for something that you can maintain yourself with cleaning and oiling. Also look for a machine that has seperste attachments. This way you are only investing in the feet and attachments that you will use.

Good luck and have fun.
arttie

Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2013 :  11:22:38 AM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Kris,
I totally agree with Rosemary and Arttie.
The old Singers are workhorses and they have easy to replace parts like the cord to the foot pedal, in case your cat chews thru it, plus the machines live on and on. I have an old zigzag Singer someone gave me. Check on www.craigslist.com You shouldn't have to pay $500. Maybe more like $200 or less for a used one. Check your local appliance repair shop too.
Good Luck,
Terri
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2013 :  1:13:47 PM  Show Profile
All the machine companies have models for everyone's price range. Go to a dealer who sells many brands and tell them what you are looking for. Most will help you and service your machine and offer classes. Good luck. I have a treadle Singer and 2 Vikings. I like the Viking also.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2013 :  3:17:10 PM  Show Profile
I would go to the dealer, and look at the used maniacal ones-NOT computerized.

I have a Bernina I got that way, that I LOVE. Came with a warranty and every thing! Most the used ones will range in the 400 range, but I only paid about 180 for mine because it didn't have "extra" feet, or a manual. (you can buy all that seperately!).

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  06:21:24 AM  Show Profile
I agree that a computerized machine isn't necessary. (Steer away from maniacs, though.) ;-)

My favorite is a Viking. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  08:40:57 AM  Show Profile
I bought a sewing machine in 2008. I have YET to open it and take it out of the box. Sewing intimidated me!!!! I have ten thumbs, I've tried to learn to sew. I tried once to make a simple dress, and sewed the pockets right through both pieces of material. I tried to make a simple doll once, someone asked me if it was an elephant. NO, one arm was a bit longer. I sewed through my thumb, and that hurt big time!!! Just the thought of a computerized sewing machine scares me silly.
Good luck KRis.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  08:54:07 AM  Show Profile
Marly, Marly, Marly- what will we ever do with you!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  08:57:10 AM  Show Profile
lol Mariann, I must of been super tired. Mechanical! lol

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  09:00:08 AM  Show Profile
haha Bear, I wish you lived closer. There's a huge boom of Waldorf dolls out there! They are SUPER expensive, hand made, and NEVER symmetrical!

I don't ever think I would want a computerized machine though either. WOW how do you sew your thumb? lol

Maybe a treadle would be more suitable? Cause you control the speed a bit more?

Personally I like a knee control, as I feel I have more control over the speed then the foot style ones.

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  09:20:56 AM  Show Profile
Heather: I did sew completely through the side of my thumb. It hurt, big time!!!! I don't know what a treadle is, embarrassed to ask!!!!! The speed of every sewing machine I have ever tried, controls me.
I've never heard of Waldorf dolls, but will check it out.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  3:36:40 PM  Show Profile
Marly- maybe you have a friend or two that would do your sewing for you???

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  4:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, do you have a sewing machine store near where you live. If it is a good store and by that I mean the owners look after their customers, you can tell them what you have to spend and they should be able to match you up with a good used machine for not a lot of money. They should also be able to tell you which machines don't have parts available for repairs----and they should have a good repairman on staff.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  6:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Marly,
A treadle is a sewing machine that is in a table and you pump it with your feet to power it. Kind of like a pump organ.
Terri
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sewing machines? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page