greenpaws
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

shirley
des moines iowa
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2013 :  10:48:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I have a rounded top bar frame left over after a couple of years finally did my "plastic" greenhouse in and I am looking for a new cover. Anyone have any good advice on what type of material to look for? The green house is 6 by 8 and I dont do all year growing in it, (maybe some day) but I have read different glazings have different advantages or disadvantages. I just want to make sure my seeds/seedlings get the best start possible.
Thank You!

Keep your hands dirty!
greenpaws

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  8:47:41 PM  Show Profile
Shirley, I need to replace the covering on my little greenhouse, too, same size, so I'll be following your thread with interest. I have a book somewhere about greenhouse growing that I'm sure had a section on this subject. I'll look for it.
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  6:40:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Shirley!

So are you looking for advice on the type of plastic to cover it with?
If so, ask yourself a couple questions first:
Do you want to leave the plastic on year round?
If so, you'll want to get plastic that is resistant to UV rays, that way it will last longer but won't affect your plants.
If you want to be really frugal, you can spend less money on non-UV resistant plastic and take it off at the end of every season. It should last many years that way.

I'm not sure about suppliers, but try to not go too mainstream when looking, I've noticed that 'greenhouse suppliers' can be pricey but you can often find an alternative that will work just as well but isn't necessarily marketed as 'greenhouse plastic' or poly as many call it.

Another thing that matters is thickness. The thicker the plastic the more expensive it is but the longer it will last. It's usually measured in mil's. 6mil is thicker than 4mil etc.

Good luck! Hope that helped!

If your dream doesn't scare you to death......it's not big enough.

The Fearless Farmgirl
www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/Fearlessfarmgrl
Farmgirl Sister #2106

Edited by - Littleredd on Mar 02 2013 6:41:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  05:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I buy my plastic from home depot or lowes. I buy a double pack of 10*25 and it is $20 and it is 6 mil thick. Way cheaper than greenhouse plastic! I feel at that price i can change it every year!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!

http://homesteddinmomsworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Green House Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page