Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  4:56:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh, girls - I am beside myself. The other day I noticed a funky smell in our storage room. A little research soon proved that it was coming from a cardboard box which held my seeds and dried onion sets for this year's garden. I removed the onion sets and the smell was gone. I thought all was well. Well, tonight, there was another weird smell coming from the same box - kind of like Comet Cleanser. I opened the box, and although I can't see anything, every single item in there smells like Comet. I don't understand what happened. It's a dry room, everything was dry up there, and there's even a dessican't packet in the decorative box the seeds were in! So, I brought everything downstairs and through a misunderstanding, one of my well-meaning guys, whom I love with all my heart, sprayed everything with Lysol spray - not quite soaked, but the packets definitely were wet.

So,

I'm wondering if the seeds weren't salvagable before, would they even be salvageable after the packets were sprayed with Lysol? What should I do? Should I pitch them and just buy a whole new lot of seeds?

I am just beside myself! My goodness! I've NEVER had this happen before!!!

What a night... I think I probalby should go to bed early and just call it a day - what do you think? ;) Just kidding. I'm okay, really. Just debating whether I should pull out my seed catalogs and get a list ready for ordering! Eghads... I had so many seeds!!!

Thanks for your input - I do appreciate it!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  5:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Nini,
So sorry about your seeds. Let's do a seed swap!
Send me your address and I will send some of whatever seeds you need.
Terri
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  03:15:54 AM  Show Profile
Awww...Thank you, Terri! You are just the sweetest! But I don't have a thing to swap anymore! I did a little more research last night and read online that unless I was meticulous to remove all the mold, the seeds could carry the mold into the ground and wreak havoc in the soil, and/or kill the other plants, so we just decided to pitched everything. Everything. SO sad, but they weren't worth taking the risk, you know? And I don't even KNOW what the Lysol would've done to them, you know? I didn't want any mold spores spreading in the house, either. The mere smell was taking my breath away. Good gravy! My replacement list is too long, so I'm going to order the seeds we love most this weekend, and slowy rebuild my collection. Maybe when they come in we can think about swapping then? I really, really appreciate your offer. Thank you SO much, really! You're just so thoughtful! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2013 :  08:32:07 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if there is a worse smell than rotten onions...maybe rotten potatoes! I store my seeds in an airtight container in the refridgerator. Any kind of moisture can harm them. I am sure that Lysol which contains anti-bacterials would not be good. I am so sorry for your loss. Sometimes the best lessons are learned the hard way. In fact that is how I learned to store my seeds, but that is another story!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  04:52:43 AM  Show Profile
What seeds were lost?

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  06:42:51 AM  Show Profile
Every single seed I had, Tiana - everything. I had a really nice collection, too. The information I found online was very specific to say not to use them unless I could completely remove all of the mold spores, and it cautioned that it would be nearly impossible to do. Better safe than sorry, right? It's all good, though, I've started over again. Like you said, Diane, it's a tough lesson to learn, but trust me, I've learned it! :) I'm still a little bummed out about it, but I truly do believe that everything happens for a reason. :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  06:14:03 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Nini, better safe than sorry! You can never be too careful, safety first! I can send you seeds, I've got a variety. Let me know!
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

buzzn bee
True Blue Farmgirl

1061 Posts

Deborah
Muncie Indiana
USA
1061 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  1:49:41 PM  Show Profile
Ninibini,

Let us farmsisters help you out with some seeds! Make a list here of what you need. That is why we all are sisters, we help each other.
So, on that note, flex those fingers and get to typing what seeds you need. If you don't I will be forced to my stinger after you. LOL!

All kidding aside, friend you know that you would do this to help any of us. So..Have those fingers flexed yet? Get on it with it!

Farmsisters, lets all help our Nini. Friend, please e-mail me your mailing address. Hurry now!

Love ya girlfriend!

Debbie H.
Buzzn Bee
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  6:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Count me in.
Terri
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2013 :  7:19:18 PM  Show Profile
You know, I just love you, girls! What would I be without my farmgirl sisters who love, inspire and uplift?! May I never know!!! :) You are all so sweet, so thoughtful! But HONEST - when I read about having to throw them all away, I got right online and placed my orders with Baker Creek, SeedSavers and High Mowing Seeds.... I really, really, REALLY appreciate it, but I didn't want to delay getting started! :) I have replaced everything and more... My hubby said, "So, did you overdo it again?" I giggled and said, "Of course!" and he just rolled his eyes and said, "I figured.. Okay...When do we get started?" and now we're on our way! I'm so excited because if - IF - the snow isn't too bad this week (expecting 4 - 6 inches tomorrow!), I'm going to get my spinach, turnips and beets in the ground this weekend! But thank you - truly - from the bottom of my heart! God bless you and your gardens with great abundance! Hugs and LOTS of love - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

buzzn bee
True Blue Farmgirl

1061 Posts

Deborah
Muncie Indiana
USA
1061 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  4:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Nini, you are just to precious for words,
We love girlfriend!

Debbie H.
Buzzn Bee

Please let me know if ever I can help you.

Hugs and lots of them. May the good Lord above bless each little seed you plant.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Oh My Goodness! My SEEDS!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page