Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  06:13:41 AM  Show Profile
So when I got up this morning my DH had left the news station on. I saw it said breaking news across the screen. No more mail on Saturdays. He had the volume turned down low so I did not catch all of it. Is the government shutting down postal service for Saturdays? Does anyone know?

Seize The Day!
Dorinda

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  07:13:08 AM  Show Profile
I, too, heard that there will be no more mail on Saturdays starting in August. Bummer, but I'm sure they've taken a huge hit now that everything is done on the internet. It sounds like they will be saving a big chunk of change by just skipping Saturdays, but if I heard correctly, they will still be distributing packages on Saturday.

Emily
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  07:19:21 AM  Show Profile
That makes me sad, honestly. It's not that I get a ton of mail (other than bills!), but I really do love the tradition of mail and I do send cards and bills through the mail, too. I know it's a cost saving measure, and that's important if we want it to be around at all.

The only folks I know who will rest easy that Saturday delivery is over will be my 4 dogs. They really don't like our postman (he walks, and comes up on each porch to deliver the post). I always have to keep the latch on the storm door so they don't go busting through!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

BarnHeart
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Autumn
New Albany IN
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  07:38:10 AM  Show Profile
I heard this today too. Also heard that postage was going to go up at the same time.

I love wool! Visit my website at www.heartfeltwool.com to see my creations!
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1672 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1672 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  08:30:03 AM  Show Profile
I heard it today to. If I heard correctly Emily they will be delivering packages on Saturdays. So sad but I understand.
Laurie

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page. www.facebook.com Aprons and More by Laurie/2487022
www.etsy.com/people/Aprons And Home Decor
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  08:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Our little town postoffice is on the chopping block but we hope to save it. So if Saturday mail is cut and out postoffice is saved I will understand. It is the nicest and most friendly post office and so local. I don't want to go to the city and stand in line. Phooey. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  09:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
It seems to be what's in the news and I'm not surprised. While I don't like it I can learn to live with it. And it helps to know it's a few months down the road so I can start getting used to the idea. I do what I can to support the postal service because, no matter their faults, it's still hard to beat!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tammyc
True Blue Farmgirl

698 Posts

Tammy
Danville California
USA
698 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  09:25:32 AM  Show Profile
Yes, it was just on the news here. Sometime in August the post office will stop Saturday mail delivery. They will still deliver packages on Saturday, though. Also, I noticed when I went to the post office Monday, I sent out about six priority mail boxes. When I asked for delivery confirmation, the woman told me that as of last Monday, the delivery confirmation fee was built into the cost of priority mail. I actually like that, it makes it much easier and faster to check out.

"Be who you are and say what you like because the people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2307 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2307 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  09:29:40 AM  Show Profile
Free confirmation is also now built into packages sent at the cheaper rate, mailed some yesterday and got "free confirmation" on those also.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  09:33:16 AM  Show Profile
according to what i read on yahoo; the saturday delivery of mail will go into effect in august as you all have said and they plan to keep post offices open on saturdays taht are currently open on saturdays. we live in a large enough community that i could get out at lunch from work if i had to but i have lived in teh little communities with the friendly warm post office so it would be a shame. i don't quite understand why they are waiting til august to do this?
yes; i can see where it will save money..i will miss it too...but will adapt!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  4:00:50 PM  Show Profile
I have 3 cousins, who have spent their working years working at the post office, my aunt was postmistress for about 15 years, and was a carrier before then. They are all sad about the saturday closing, they say, think about the service industries, that the postal services use. Even right down to vending in the post office. We already have had a post office shut down in the next little community, and ours moved into the shopping center in town. I try to use them also, not everyone I know uses computers, so I send cards and letters to them, and then its like my Aunt, she does not even own a computer or understand, or my hubbys mom. Like so many elderly they are not computer savvy. I love my people at the post office, they are always interested when I mail packages, that say Farmgirl mail on them, they always what to know the latest swap or whatever. Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  5:19:39 PM  Show Profile
I've read all the points, but for some weird reason, it's a thought that makes me sad.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  6:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Linda,
My postal service friends are also some that like my packages and such. I go to post offices in two different towns, they all know me. I've been told they LOVE to see my decorated packages and mail . . . it brightens their day! :D
CJ

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  7:04:11 PM  Show Profile
our little P.O. is/has been closed on Sat. so it won't make any difference to us.

SO, rates go up and services get cut... hmmm.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  07:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Our Dolores post office has been open from 10 AM - Noon. If I miss that, the Cortez office has been open from 11 AM - 1 PM. But we do have mail delivery to the house on a rural route, so that would impact us.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  08:09:24 AM  Show Profile
With 2 days of no mail delivery, can you imagine the junk mail that will get backed up? I like receiving letters/cards and will miss not getting those on Sat. I have a pen pal in Australia and she only gets mail 2 times a week and that's if it hasn't rained. When the roads are flooded she has to go to town about 25 miles each way to get her mail.

Find something beautiful in everyday!
And STYX the Band rocks!
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2013 :  09:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
I too am sad about no Saturday mail, but since they will be delivering packages, that calms me a little. I like to shop online and come home to find a package on the front porch. What a joy!!
As to the timing, they probably are waiting until the fiscal year ends June 30 and their new budget takes effect July 1 to make real changes.

Tammi, hello to another CA farmgirl. Nice to meet you.
Terri
So Cal Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic No more mail on Saturday? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page