Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Please let me try this again....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Please let me try this again.... Next Topic  

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  10:51:12 AM  Show Profile
Dear Farmgirls,

My how time does fly lately....it has been over a year (I think) since I have been on here. Alot of things have changed for us here in Pa. My hubby has been home from Afghan. for over 6 months now. We are doing well. It is wonderful being a family again, although the transition back together started off rough, we made it through. Even though I have not been posting, I have been periodically reading the forums, and implementing the lifestyle into my life. This summer, my 2 daughters and I froze 100 ears of corn for my freezer:) Needless to say, we ate it all already...it was delicious!!! And I can't bring myself to eat store bought corn at all. Next year I am planning on doubling the ears to 200...to see if that will hopefully get us through a year. We planted a very small plot of veggies..did string beans, tomatoes and cucumbers. Because we started the plot in July...the tomatoes didn't produce. But, it was very educational and fun for us. My husband was a HUGE help...he even has a gardening journal started. There has been so much more we have done to live more organically, but I won't get into details here. I do have to tell all of you...I have missed you so much. I promise to be better about posting, and participating in projects online. Farmgirl Hugs, Erica

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  11:10:25 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back, Erica. So glad things are working out so well for you. I am sure you will have a wonderful garden this year. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  11:39:59 AM  Show Profile
Erica, I can only imagine what it is to start a family over again after someone is deployed, and returns. I have a son who is in the army, and I myself am a service brat.I am sure alot of families break up (my mom and dads did)and alot stay together. Maybe gardening gave you a common ground to start with again.It sounds like you all are on the right track . I am very proud of you for sticking it out in this day and age, when many things are replaceable. Good luck to you and your famlly. Welcome back and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  12:43:33 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back, Erica!!! I am recently new again also :). Hehehe...we all go through seasons where priorities change and we can't do everything that is in our hearts to do. I missed hanging out with these gals so much and putting into practice everything I learn from them, but for a season there, I just had to put my desires aside and focus on family. Like I said, we all have those seasons, but we're glad you're here now. It's good to meet you! I believe I was in my off season when you joined up, so we haven't met yet :)

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05), Bennett (7/11/07), Truman (7/28/09) and baby Graeme (11/29/12)
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  7:03:53 PM  Show Profile
HI Erica, and welcome back! Its great to see you here again. I am so glad that your DH is back home with you and the family! Praise God!
Now, jump right in and start enjoying all of the wonderful farmgirl sisters!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Everyday is a beautiful day, and sometimes the weather is even nice!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  7:58:38 PM  Show Profile
So happy you have returned, Erica! Welcome, welcome. Enjoy your time with us.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  04:41:45 AM  Show Profile
Erica,
So glad you are back with us! I am glad you and your DH made it through the transitioning stage together. It can be very hard for soldiers to return to home life. How big of a freezer does it take to freeze 200 ears of corn?

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  07:43:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the sweet, kind words. I am looking forward to catching up. Diane, I do not remember how many bags we did. I cut the corn from the ears after blanching and packed it in quart size freezer bags. Since my daughters helped the bags were shared with my oldest. I do not have a freezer, per say, but another refrigerator in the garage. The bags fit perfectly in that freezer. We all love corn, so it got eaten very quickly. I purchased the ears from a local Amish farmer. Paid about $85 for the 100 ears. It was alot of work, but having my daughters helped made it so much more fun. I really need to begin recording what I do, and all specifics, because I truly start to forget the little things...lol. Erica:)
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  7:23:49 PM  Show Profile
OH MY GOODNESS--ERICA!!! It is SO wonderful to have you back. I have thought about you and your family so often over the past year and was praying that your DH would be home soon and all will be well and I am so glad to know that it is going well. I have missed you. Welcome back. Hugs, Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  05:46:43 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back!

Thank you to your husband and to your family for the sacrifices and service to our great country.

I see you're going to double your ears of corn to 200...WOW! You might need to buy another freezer. :)

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  06:56:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone:) Joey...you are a dear. I have thought about you and all the farmgirls so much. I had such high aspirations that I would maintain contact with everyone, but, somehow life kept happening and I missed so many opportunities to reconnect. Never did I intend it for it to be this long. Thanks for your friendship. It means the world to me:) Hugs, Erica
Go to Top of Page

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  06:59:56 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Erica!

Although I haven't meet you before now, it's good to have you back

I'm glad that you and your husband have worked through the transition period and are making an effort to keep your family together. I understand how hard it can be in this day and age to just toss things aside.

My second son did a tour in Afghanistan and my third boy did 2 tours in Iraq. So I've seen first hand the adjustments that need to be made when returning home. My second boy is career Air Force and my third boy was Army. After his second tour he was given a medical discharge, which was hard for him, as he had planned to make the Army his career since he was eleven. He had the hardest time adjusting back into civilian life, but is doing great now!

I put some corn up 2 summers ago like you and yes, it went far to fast!! Am going to try and do it again this year. Last summer was a bit crazy so I didn't find the time, but we sure missed having that "fresh" corn in the freezer.

Cyn~
Farmgirl #2817
"The time is when a library is a school, and the librarian is in the highest sense a teacher, and the visitor is a reader among the books as a workman among his tools." ~Melvil Dewey

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1673 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1673 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  07:33:12 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Erica! Glad that everything is doing well for your family.
Hugs,
Laurie

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page. www.facebook.com Aprons and More by Laurie/2487022
www.etsy.com/people/Aprons And Home Decor
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  3:40:44 PM  Show Profile
Erica, It is so good to have you back on the forum. You put your energy where it needed to be when your husband got back. Makes sense! Sounds like you have a busy summer of putting up corn planned. It is so special to enjoy something you did yourself, isn't it? I look forward to seeing you on the different posts.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  8:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Erica,
I'm SOOOOOOOOO glad to you see you back and that things are going well for you and your family. We've missed you! I've missed you!
Hoping that things continue to progress for you!
HUGS!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2013 :  8:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Erica,
Did you get access to the Henhouse figured out? Hope so!
Glad to have you back!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  4:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
YAY Erica, see you've gotten back into the Henhouse!
Soooooo, good to see you back!
Check out our Henhouse forum threads . . .
CJ

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  5:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Erica, Welcome back. You inspire me... Thank you and your family for your sacrifice.... God Bless.

http://www.settlersparkmarket.com/
https://www.facebook.com/SettlersParkMarket
Nana to 5
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  09:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
Welcome back.. glad you are a family again..and glad things are going well...may I too say thank you for your sacrifices as a family....Blessings

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2013 :  09:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Welcome back Erica,
Warm California hugs to you.
Terri
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Please let me try this again.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page