Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Easy To Peel!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Easy To Peel! Next Topic  

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  3:51:25 PM  Show Profile
I have tried every way I can find to make hard boiled eggs and peel them easily. Some ways worked fairly well. I have tried steaming, boiling with baking soda and dunk in ice water and baking in muffin trays. Still not fool proof or easy to peel. Today I tried my pressure cooker. I was skeptical but here is what I did. I put 1 cup of water in my pressure cooker and inserted the trivet. I put 12 eggs on the trivet and put on the lid. Installed the weight on the top and turned on the heat. As soon as the weight started to rock I shut off the heat. I waited till the pressure came down and took out 12 perfectly hard boiled eggs. They practically jumped out of their shells! I will never do it any other way!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

buzzn bee
True Blue Farmgirl

1061 Posts

Deborah
Muncie Indiana
USA
1061 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  4:24:29 PM  Show Profile
Diane,

I love my pressure cooker, and use it more than anything else in my kitchen. I would never have thought to do boiled eggs in it. I will be giving it a try. It seems each time, I decide to take deviled eggs as a dish to a carry-in luncheon or dinner at my church, the poor eggs look like they rolled all over the state of Indiana, hitting every pot-hole along the way. LOL! I will let you know how it all turns out.

I use my pressure cooker to cook my baked potatoes in. The potato flavor is so much more enhanced. I love to fix a chuck roast in it .
YUMMY!

Thanks for the tip!

Hugs
Debbie H.
Buzzn Bee
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  6:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Deborah,
How do you do the potatoes in the pressure cooker?

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  07:52:07 AM  Show Profile
Diane, thanks for the tip. I am definitely going to try this. I've read somewhere that the main reason for eggs not peeling well is that they're really fresh. Older eggs seem to peel easier.

Deborah, my family loves deviled eggs and I have the same problem...they look ugly but taste oh, so good. I also 'bake' our potatoes in the pressure cooker....so much quicker than baking and the texture is tons better than microwaved potatoes.

Kathy, I have 3 different sizes of cooker/canners and I use the smallest for 'baking' potatoes (it takes less time for the pressure to build up) I put 2 cups water and some salt and garlic in the pot. I add the potatoes, usually 6, and toss a bit more salt and garlic over the potatoes. The cooker is brought to pressure, the regulator 'puffs' for about 5 minutes, the fire is turned down and the pot is left to cool until it can be opened....usually another 15 minutes. Yummy!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  08:18:35 AM  Show Profile
Catherine,
That is how I do the eggs. Except 1 cup water and shut off as soon as the regulator starts rocking. I also use my smallest pressure cooker. My DH pressure cooks all kinds of things. Mainly squirrel meat, turns out very moist in the pressure cooker.
I just want to make sure that the others know we are talking about pressure cookers as opposed to pressure canners.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  6:23:52 PM  Show Profile
Catherine,
Do you put a steamer rack or trivet in the bottom of the pot for the potatoes to rest on or just put your potatoes in the water?

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  06:03:07 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, I just let the potatoes sit in the water. I haven't had an issue with scorching. But, it would be just fine to put a rack in the bottom.

Diane, thanks for the details on how to do the eggs. I will try that soon. Plus, you're right, big difference between pressure cooker and pressure canner. My smallest one is a cooker only. The rest of my larger ones are both cooker/canner. I LOVE them.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Easy To Peel! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page