Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Medical Debt Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  2:22:57 PM  Show Profile
I have a question for anyone that can give us any advice.

DD has a pile (many piles) of hospital, ambulance and other medical bills that started from her passing out and hitting her head on concrete back in August of 2012. She presented her birth dad's insurance and found out her dad never covered her as he stated.

So...as you know we lost our insurance, so she needs help on how to handle this. She has already told many hospitals that she is unemployed and one was to write her bill off, but did not. The initial accident at the University was to get paid for by the University, but is now saying it's her responsibility.

They said the health plan she had there, only gives a coverage of $300-400 per year. Of course she is wayyyy beyond that amount.

They call, she explains, the bills are coming every day. Is there any other way, a different personnel at the hospitals we should try?

Any advice?

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  2:36:15 PM  Show Profile
no job, over 18, try applying for medi-cal/access/medicaid, what every is in your state/county, also I would talk to a lawyer about where and how she was hurt, cause if anything the university should cover her bills...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  3:10:20 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest she consult with an attorney. Either ask for a free consultation or see if there are any free legal services in your area. They should be able to tell her what liability the university might have and also give advice as to how to handle the bills if they are her responsibility.
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  3:21:43 PM  Show Profile
INDEED!!! if it is someone's fault (the university) they should be covering the expence of the injury. If it was my daughter it would be all the bills in hand and to an experienced attorney for advice. If they state that the university isn't responsible- then start calling every hospital, ambulance, doctor and share what happend and see how they can help. In my state we write off huge balances all the time- community care is what we call it and it is to help with the medical expences....it's worth a try. I am sorry that this is happening to your daughter- our health care is in such a mess. :(
Lori

Gernerosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need!
Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  6:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Try to find out if the hospital and/or doctor's office has a social worker you can talk to. I know that for children seen in one of our state-supported hospitals, there is assistance available for gas vouchers to and from visits, help with locating and paying for overnight visits, vouchers for meals, etc. The social worker also works with the child's county dept of soc services to access their resources.

I guess my point is just find out if there is a social worker that can, if nothing else, give suggestions.

I'll be praying for you both, too!

Darlene

"Support your local fire departments and rescue squads...volunteers making a difference"
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  6:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Definitely talk with an attorney.Try speaking with billing supervisors if possible to explain the situation and specifically ask about any indigent care services that will help with the bills. It may be called something different there, but here it is indigent care services. Any public hospital or medical center that receives grants and other funding from the government is supposed to have an indigent care program since that is what those funds are for.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  8:36:44 PM  Show Profile
I would go to the hospital social worker, if she can apply for medicaid she needs to do that ASAP, it is only usually retro active 3 months back...so needs to do that ASAP.

Also IF the uni is responsible they need to pay. Otherwise, IF your DH is legally supposed to have her insurance (like court ordered-cause sometimes that court order is till 21, not 18) then she may need to sue him, and they may need to go to him for the money.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  10:41:29 PM  Show Profile
When I was in college, I started having trouble concentrating and my behavior became very erratic and my thoughts confused. I ended up in the hospital and my parents didn't know how they would pay since I'd just turned 22 and was no longer covered by their insurance. I don't remember much about the process but I applied for disability and received it after only a few months. A head injury often qualifies as a disability. I received something called supplemental security income and had Medicaid coverage. It took a long time to pull my life back together but I always had medical coverage and an income.Most people consult a lawyer when applying for disability, plus it should cover from the time the accident happened. I would consult a lawyer. A head injury can have long term consequences. The college knows that and that's why they don't want to be held accountable.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  12:40:16 PM  Show Profile
Ah, crud, Kristina. Why can't people just do what they said they would do? Why couldn't her dad at least have told her that he dropped her ...?

I don't know what course you should take, but I am thinking of you. I sincerely hope you can help her get it all straightened out. Medical care is a right,not a priviledge in my mind. And it shouldn't cost you your entire life's earnings.

You are in my thoughts...
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  05:33:56 AM  Show Profile
Well,
I opened all of her bills. Two already went to collection. We cannot afford a lawyer, and I am pretty sure I won't find one free around here. I shredded all the duplicates, and have a pile on my desk. She filled out one financial aid form that I found in one of them,and is mailing it out today. I will tackle this as soon as I find some relief in my cough/congestion/etc.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  05:55:01 AM  Show Profile
Kristina there is no charge in calling lawyers. There's many that don't ask for money unless they win the suit for you. I know that's what my DH hired for his medical bills. The lawyer we got was really good and fair even. I can't remember right now the precentage her took of the winnings of the law suit, but I remember thinking it was very little. Then later on (like about two months later) he actually sent us a check for some of it back, saying he didn't spend as much time on the case as he had originally thought and so was sending us back the money for the over pay! So it was even cheaper. All said and done seems to me he was only paid like 800 dollars, but that came directly from the law suit....and not from our pockets sort of speak-IE we didn't have to scramble around looking for 800 dollars.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  06:00:39 AM  Show Profile
BTW, this was only last year, so not very out of date rates.

My DH went to him about 1 1/2 years ago (it was a workman's comp suit, you may need to sue the college would I'm thinking a similar lawyer would be needed).

Any way I remember when DH found him, he came home and told me that he signed a contract with the lawyer that he would let the lawyer have X percentage of the winnings. Again I remember when he told me the percentage thinking it sounded fair (it was really low). My dh said that the lawyer told him he had two choices to choose for payment. X percentage of the winnings, or 2,500 upfront and that would be the total cost. And since we didn't have 2,500 my DH chose the X percentage. Seems to me it was like 10% or less...it was really really low.

So something to think about, especially if you think you need to sue the college.

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  12:56:32 PM  Show Profile
We are talking about $5-8,000.

I did go online and find all the financial assist. forms that I could, printed them, and she filled them all out. They were mailed today. The others were called, messages left, and one remaining. Phew....It's a start.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  10:52:51 AM  Show Profile
That was about the range of my DH's suit as well for his bills, I think closer to 8g. But, in that ball park. Look in the phone book for lawyers you do not get paid unless they win the case.

Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  3:20:00 PM  Show Profile
I would talk to any attorney, many work for free if there's a settlement possibility, then the university or whoever would pay their fee. If she had a medical condition that made her pass out, that might be an issue, but if the Uni. was supposed to cover her, they may just ignore you, unless you get a lawyer :) Then they may wake up. I would also talk to your local news station :) If nothing else, I don't know if she could file bankruptcy? It would wipe the slate clean...

Be the change...

http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2013 :  07:38:46 AM  Show Profile
If you contact and attorney and he /she is willing to take the case, have it written in the suit that the university will pay for your legal fees. Also DO NOT SETTLE. If you do and she has problems years down the road she will be S.O.L. if she settles.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  05:50:13 AM  Show Profile
I would definitely seek out the hospital social worker and explain your situation. IF the hospital is big enough it does a lot of Pro Bono work. Think of all the indigents and aliens that use the emergency room and never pay anything.
The collection agency's job it to collect what it can and make a profit and pay the hospital.

AND IT IS TRUE that people who have no insurance coverage are often charged less by the hospitals than people who do. I know several people in different area that have paid less.

Once the hospital turns something over to the collection agency, they often do not like to talk about finances any more.. BUT GO TO BILLING IN PERSON anyway and bring your daughter as she may be legally an adult and responsible. NEGOTIATE for a smaller bill explaining that she has no health insurance and what else you are trying to do (attorney etc) and might have to start a payment program.

Definitely check your divorce decree and the obligation for the absent parent to cover her with insurance -- and the age that coverage might be dropped. If he has some $$ and dropped the coverage too soon, then he may be legally liable for the bill depending on the laws in your State.
RE attorney --- hire a good one that will work for a percentage of anything he can get from the University. In a number of States he will have to prove how the University was negligent in causing her injury.

SOUNDS like all the farmgirls have already given you some good advice, I probably just repeated it, but work as hard and as long as it takes to try to make this outcome better. Very few of us have that kind of money laying around -- so anything will help.

ONE LAST COMMENT... if your daughter is legally an adult in your State (even if you provide her room and board) and does not have $$, she should also checked to see if filing a BANKRUPTCY in her name would eliminate the bill. (FIND THIS OUT FIRST.. AS IT MIGHT HELP TO NEGOTIATE WITH THE HOSPITAL TO REDUCE THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF THE BILL !!)

Just be dogged. Don't get frustrated. Just work through the process and don't give up. It will take a good bit of time.

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Medical Debt Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page