Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Light colored clothes being stained brown in wash?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Light colored clothes being stained brown in wash? Next Topic  

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  07:50:25 AM  Show Profile
I have had to wash my clothes at a friends house as my washer is packed away for our big move coming up.

My problem is that all my whites and light colored clothes are being stained a light brown/dirty color that I can't get out.

I use homemade laundry detergent (that NEVER gave me a problem at my home) and a rinse with white vinegar. I do NOT dry my dirty looking clothes in the dryer as I don't want the stain to set.

I do not use bleach and they do have well water. I have tried washing in both cold and warm water. Neither one makes it worse and neither one takes the icky brown color away.

I inspected the washer and found like a line of greenish scum at the top of their washer that I can scrape off with my fingernail, which I have never seen before and never had at my house.

Any tips on why all my socks and light colored clothes (including precious light colored baby blankets which are now brown!!!) are turning a nasty color?

I don't overload the washer, but I'm pretty sure they do....

Help please! Thanks in advance for any tips!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  08:38:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm guessing they have a lot of iron in their well water and that they don't have a softener. We have to have a softener or our laundry would look the same. Our water is super orange without it. As far as the green scum goes, it's probably fabric softener caked up on the washer. I don't use fabric softener because I think it's gross. My mom always used it and her washer would smell like a mixture of fabric softener and "funk" until I discovered that the fabric softener buildup inside the machine was actually starting to mold and rot in there. It was so gross. Like I said, I don't like the stuff. I use vinegar in my wash for a softener. Maybe you could find another friend's washer to borrow that doesn't have well water?

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05), Bennett (7/11/07), Truman (7/28/09) and baby Graeme (11/29/12)
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  08:53:36 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if that is their problem. I don't use fabric softener but they do... and I know they don't use a water softener.... hmmm...

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  10:25:08 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes the water company or the store have a product thats called iron out and it does work. We had something similar here when we first moved in and tried using the cystrin water and the lines were full of rust. It took it all out I was absolutely amazed.It comes in a can or bottle and just follow the instructions.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  1:21:42 PM  Show Profile
Washing soda will help with the water. Their machine is fixing to die I got a scum when the pump was going out the water was not getting pumped out and then the scum. And dirty clothes.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Light colored clothes being stained brown in wash? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page