Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Is a move to Idaho in our future?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Is a move to Idaho in our future? Next Topic  

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  1:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Greetings Fellow Farmgirls,
After having lived in the midwest most all of our lives, the time has come to move on. We have known for about 10 years that this day was coming, and have spent a fair amount of time camping our way through a lot of the U.S. looking for a place to call home. About 3 years ago we visited friends in Idaho southwest of Stanley and fell in love with Idaho. We have spent a total of about 6 months since all over Idaho in all seasons. It is the one place my hubby and I feel totally at home, and keep coming back to as we continue to ponder. We are both teachers. I was offered a position last summer at a small school, but was unable to take it at the time due to some family obligations. I know the physical features/climate/etc. varies greatly. We live pretty simple, homebound lives and ideally would like to live in a small, remote town. (I have dreamt of teaching in a one-room schoolhouse since college.) We have no children and pretty much no ties.
My questions (in no particular order):
1. What Idaho-specific questions do we need to ask ourselves to make this decision? 2. How do people native to Idaho really feel about outsiders coming in to make a new life? (This question stems from the one "interesting" encounter we had while fixing a flat tire on a fire road. It didn't scare us off, just made us more curious.)
3. Anything else you think we might need to consider?

Thanks so much for any input you could give.

Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6624 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6624 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  4:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Joy- check out the latest posting about Idaho under the subject category "Across the Fence" . A farm girl just moved there from Missouri. Maybe you can connect with her and others? Me, I am way down here in Florida so no help at all.

Good luck with your plans!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  8:43:58 PM  Show Profile
I am an Idaho native, and I have to be honest, there are people who are not happy about people moving in. However, I feel that everyone has to be from somewhere. We have good friends who have moved here from other states. Home is what you make of it.
You must remember that wages in Idaho aren't what they are in some other places,and we prefer that state government let us figure out how we want to live. We have a lot of public land. Which means no tax revenue from those lands, so our taxes are a little higher. But, public lands mean that you can hunt and fish and walk and ride your horse or your 4 wheeler or snowmobile on that public land. In SW idaho most winters you can ski in the morning and play golf on the courses in Boise in the afternoon. The weather here is hard to beat.
There are amazing and wonderful things to see and do in Idaho. Just a drive up Hwy 95 or 93 is an adventure.
There are places here that are really isolated and a long way from any kind of services. You just need to figure out what you are comfortable with. Look at how far it is to medical services, the grocery store, the hardware store, or just good thrift stores. We hope to welcome you to our beautiful state.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  05:24:13 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning! Thanks for the responses!

Honestly, the public land is one of the main things that draw us to Idaho. That and the "can-do" attitude of most people we have met there over the past years. Taxes aren't that much higher than what we pay now. Teacher pay is about equal even in the smallest districts. Ultimately, even though we live in a small town (pop. 2,000), each in an even smaller town (pop. 187), and were raised in even smaller towns (pop. 105) we are tired of busy being busy. The chance to start over is very appealing! Ironically, Emmett is one of the places we had picked as a possible location for our re=setlement! We go to church in Horseshoe Bend when we are in Idaho! Thanks for the input! i appreciate it!

Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  05:26:02 AM  Show Profile
Winnie,
Thanks for the suggestion. On my way!

Joy

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  10:16:28 AM  Show Profile
I am glad you know are area. We do have wonderful weather, and access to all kinds of services, and everyone is just minutes away from public land. What kind of place are you looking for? Some friends have 6 irrigated acres and a log house across the road from the Payette between Horseshoe Bend and Sweet for sale.

Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  5:32:02 PM  Show Profile
Kennie,
I sent you an email with some specific questions. We know exactly where Sweet is, in fact we celebrated 4th of July there last year. I so appreciate your input. Please email me when you think of other things to consider. Our other friends want us to move there so badly to be aunt and uncle to their kids, they tend to be a bit lovingly biased about answering questions. Your take on the move is invaluable to us. I'll find a way to reciprocate in kind sometime.

Thanks!
Joy

Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  08:43:38 AM  Show Profile
As an Idaho native I think the view on outsiders all depends on where in Idaho you are. I think the Boise area and the Moscow area are most open to outsiders. They both have colleges and a larger population base so more people are the dreaded outsider. :) That being said there are some little towns that would really rather be left alone. And a lot of times you are fine so long as you aren't from California. I do miss many things about Idaho but as a school teacher be aware that a lot of towns really have low pay and struggle with keeping students in school. There are many reasons for this but I know many areas struggle. The amount of public land is unmatched. If you want to be remote you can get very remote. I hope it helps. Good luck with your moving. Big changes are always an exciting adventure and it sounds like you've done your homework.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~

Farmgirl Sister #3214

http://lazymomgardener.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  09:59:38 AM  Show Profile
All I can say is, I fell in love with Idaho the summer before last when I traveled to MaryJane's Farm B & B. I also fell in love with the people!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  8:22:53 PM  Show Profile
New adventures are great, enjoy! It will be fun to see where you land!

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  05:17:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the additional input! Certainly things to consider abound, but a new adventure in our lives right now is exactly what we need. Keep those comments coming! They are important as we continue on our quest.

Thanks!
Joy

Go to Top of Page

IdahoShamrock
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Kathy
Hayden Idaho
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2013 :  08:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Are you looking at southern Idaho or northern Idaho? There are big differences in the halves of the state.

I have lived in North Idaho for over 30 years and love it. The northern part of the state has the 4 seasons and sometimes the spring can be wearying because it is so gray. If you are prepared for and enjoy winter weather, you will have no problems. Depending on where you live in the north part of the state, you can be anything from a zone 4 to a zone 6 and there is a huge difference if you are a gardener. If you are a hunting/fishing family, there are lots of places to do both. Here in the north, people care passionately about wolves, either love them or hate them. So if you start talking about wolves, be prepared for conflict.

Most people here are not resistant to outsiders. But they are resistant to outsiders who want to change things. Until you get into the more populous areas like Coeur d'Alene. Kootenai County is becoming somewhat liberal in the sense that the county is becoming quite strictly regulated (income generation) and is introducing a land use code that is somewhat like Agenda 21,if you are familiar with that.

I homeschooled my children for their elementary years and then they went to the local public highschool and it was a great experience. My youngest is currently enrolled in a charter school that focuses on STEM curriculum and I am very happy with it. I think that folks here want choices when it comes to education. Whether it be home education, private/Christian, charter, alternative or general public school, choice is considered to be the best option for parents. As educators, you may find that you have lots of parents who want to volunteer/assist you. If you are open to parental involvement in your classrooms, you will probably find you have lots of volunteers.

I wish you the very best in your move and I hope it goes smoothly. May you find your own little piece of heaven here in Idaho!

Farmgirl #2125

www.dustbincards.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2013 :  10:55:24 AM  Show Profile
We have done it! We will be living in Idaho about an hour north of Boise just 42 days from today! I have no idea where, other than maybe in our baby teardrop for a couple of weeks! My new job begins June 10th! I will be teaching math and science for 7th-12th graders. I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I was there last week interviewing and hunting the area for a place to live.

Cannot wait to be able to hike in the mountains, raft in the Payette, or just sit and listen!

Thanks for all your advice everyone! Now, someone tell me what to pack!

Joy

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2013 :  11:15:48 AM  Show Profile
Joy, congrats on the job! I have been wondering how things were going. Hope to get to know you in person. If you are in the area on May 15, join us for our Ladies Club Tea. If you don't do caffeine, like me, we have herbal teas and punch and lots of good food.

Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  8:17:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by westfork woman

Joy, congrats on the job! I have been wondering how things were going. Hope to get to know you in person. If you are in the area on May 15, join us for our Ladies Club Tea. If you don't do caffeine, like me, we have herbal teas and punch and lots of good food.

Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  1:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Joy,
Congratulations. You have just proven yourself to be a courageous FarmGirl!!!
Anyone who makes a move like that is to be commended. Is there a merit badge for that?
Please keep us posted on your progress and we expect pictures.
Terri
# 4720
Hemet CA
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  12:22:04 PM  Show Profile
Joy are you here in Idaho yet? Have you found your dream place? I am anxious to here from you. Kennie Lyn

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  09:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
We have considered ID, too. Mostly b/c it has plenty of public ground, like mentioned below. As well as other reasons. To be honest, I think DH gave it up after this winter. It has been so bad here in So. IN, that we don't want it any worse! lol!!! But you do make it sound nice!

quote:
Originally posted by westfork woman

I am an Idaho native, and I have to be honest, there are people who are not happy about people moving in. However, I feel that everyone has to be from somewhere. We have good friends who have moved here from other states. Home is what you make of it.
You must remember that wages in Idaho aren't what they are in some other places,and we prefer that state government let us figure out how we want to live. We have a lot of public land. Which means no tax revenue from those lands, so our taxes are a little higher. But, public lands mean that you can hunt and fish and walk and ride your horse or your 4 wheeler or snowmobile on that public land. In SW idaho most winters you can ski in the morning and play golf on the courses in Boise in the afternoon. The weather here is hard to beat.
There are amazing and wonderful things to see and do in Idaho. Just a drive up Hwy 95 or 93 is an adventure.
There are places here that are really isolated and a long way from any kind of services. You just need to figure out what you are comfortable with. Look at how far it is to medical services, the grocery store, the hardware store, or just good thrift stores. We hope to welcome you to our beautiful state.

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl/wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Is a move to Idaho in our future? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page