kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  06:44:34 AM  Show Profile
I hate to keep making new goat posts, but I am very frustrated. I bartered some hay for a half lamb and went to get it yesterday. It's nice and pretty and bramble free. From last summer. Still green. But it's really fine. Apparently the guy who said goats will eat anything, NEVER HAD GOATS! My goats are so darn persnickity it's rediculous. They actually like crappy hay. The crappier the better. Like with sticks and blackberry and rose branches all over it. They love that. But when I get some good hay, they stick their noses up at it and walk away. So now I'm stuck with 34 bales of this nice green clean hay. Even the sheep kind of looked at it a little like it wasn't good enough. They did nibble at least.

AND Trudy, the doe that just had the twins, has still got a very hard udder. I have been rubbing it with coconut oil and peppermint EO several times a day. Giving her Banamine and Red Cell and Pepto for the runny poop. That's better, thank the Lord. But the udder is so weird. I feel lumps and bumps all over. The kids are getting milk apparently. I went ahead and gave her a shot of LA200 just now. Plus aspirin. She wanted out yesterday, so she went out with the others. I think that's helped her depressed-like attitude. And she is a good mother. She comes back in to let the kids nurse. She doesn't seem to be hurting when they nurse because she stands still the whole time. I just don't know what's up with that udder. I think I bought a bad milk goat.

And Penelope is just getting bigger and bigger but no kids yet. It looks like she could just pop any minute. It's so funny to see her run. Well, she can't really run. Maybe waddle? It's funny to see.

And Abby. Good grief, that old goat.

I don't know about y'all, but goats sometimes bring out the worst in me. I have said some things that should never be said. I have done some things that should never be done. Maybe goats are just the wrong animal for me right now. But I love them all so much. I don't know what it would be like without goats. And I LOVE goat milk.

Just needing to let off some steam here. Maybe others have gone through this and might have some advice. I have talked to Linda a few times the past few days. She's such a good goat person and knows so much and has helped me a lot several times. So thank you, Linda!! You're the best!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  07:01:12 AM  Show Profile
I would keep exposing them to the hay.
We usually get a good alfalfa mix hay and this year it couldn't be found and if it was we couldn't afford it. So we had to buy stemmy grass hay.
The sheep would have to part in it. Over the weeks and as it grew colder they started eating it.. They are still probably offended that I am putting it out there but it is just the way it is this year.
I figure they are getting grain, which they do not usually get when we have good hay is the trade off.
Sorry to hear about your goats udder. Sounds like she may have problems.
I had an older ewe do that. I had to start supplementing babies because they were just not getting enough milk to thrive.
I would milk her to see if there is an adequate amount of milk to feed twins.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  07:48:37 AM  Show Profile
I just put Trudy on the stanchion and got a few squirts. That's all. There are bumps and knots all over her udder. But the kids look really good, like they are getting milk. I did give the doeling some milk a few nights ago. The buckling would have none of it. I got some really hot water with peppermint EO in it and soaked a little towel in it and put on her udder for awhile while she was on the stand. I hope maybe the LA200 will help. I'll give more tomorrow. It could be an infection. It's just so frustrating trying to figure out what to do. And why am I always broke when things like this happen? Oh, the milk is white and not clumpy or bloody. Looks like good milk.

I'll keep giving the goats the hay. but I sure hate to see them waste so much of it. That's my very least favorite job to do, getting hay. It just wears me out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  09:47:04 AM  Show Profile
Kristin I know where you are coming from. Each year at kidding time problems always seem to crop up. Sometimes its down right overwhelming and I swear each year its my last kidding season ever and here I am getting ready for a new year again.I would like to have one kidding year where everything went like clockwork....I am hoping for that this March thats when I start kidding.

I think you are on the right track with giving her antibiotics.When in doubt about her udder it can't hurt. One thing for sure a congested udder takes quite awhile to straighten out. It can sometimes take weeks. I had that with 2 does last year. I had to supplement her babies for 3 weeks and then one day it just started to get alot better. I put dynamint on her udder 2 times a day for weeks and also did a round of Penicillin. The kids all of a sudden weren't that intersted in the bottle anymore because they were finally getting lots of milk. So be patient and hopefully she will slowly get better.

Thanks for the compliment but believe me I am still learning about goats even after 21 years at it. Each year I deal with new things I have never dealt with before and old things I hate dealing with. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  1:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Trudys udder sounds like a goat I used to have that had CAE. Every year it would be the same for a week or so. But after that she was a good milker.
Goats are browsers they like fiber like sticks and other roughage, their bodies aren't really designed to eat grass or grass hay. They would rather eat stickers and weeds than grass.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.nmbarrelhorses.com
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  5:20:30 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, you just let off as much steam as you need to.

You're doing all the right things with the udder. I am so impressed with your diligence to rub it with oil several times a day. Perhaps try some warm compresses?

Sometimes I try to think about what I did for myself when I nursed my babies and warm compresses helped. This is gonna sound weird....try cabbage leaves.... My midwife told me to lay whole cabbage leaves on my breasts to help with pain and engorgement. I thought she was crazy. But, I did it....in fact, I think God made the cabbage leaves just for this purpose because they are the perfect shape and size to fit around boobs... HA HA...anyway, I smelled like I was cooking cabbage in my shirt but the pain was alleviated and the engorgement subsided. It has something to do with the body warmth softening the cabbage and the cabbage releasing helpful chemicals like salycic acid.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  5:23:17 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to add...She could just be a goat that has fibrous tissue in her udder. You say there's no blood or chunks and milk is coming out fine. So, it doesn't really sound like mastitis. Perhaps this is normal for her.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  5:33:20 PM  Show Profile
I have never felt udders like this before. But it's like when I had my kids and was breast feeding. When they'd get really full, I could feel the hardness. But this is her first kids and she acts like it doesn't hurt her when they nurse. She stands still and lets them. I would think if it hurt, she's be running from them. I sure hope this fixes itself really soon or she'll have to go. She's not got big udders at all for a milk goat. I should have been more cautious when I checked her out. We learn as we go though. She's doing better today. Poop back to normal. And I have been doing the really hot water with peppermint EO too. I'll have to try the cabbage leaves. Thanks. I sure hope it's not CAE related. I'll have to look it up now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  5:43:51 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
We have got several milk goats over the years that we were not happy with.
It can be frustrating and can be very dissapointing.
Right now I am happy to have at least three goats that are good milkers.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  7:46:16 PM  Show Profile
Kristin big knees are a pretty good indicator of CAE and if the knees are normal it's usually a good indicator that the goat doesn't have it. If one pasteurizes the milk before giving it to the kids it won't pass to them. And it doesn't pass to humans. CAE is not really that hard to manage. My first goat had it and she lived to a ripe old age and had lots of kids and gave lots of good milk. When she got older she had knee pain and I would give her a crushed aspirin a day in a little handful of sugar or salt. But maybe your goat doesn't have it. Just if she does it's not that bad after a few days. Goats have a way of taking us through the full range of emotions and work us to the bone too. I hope all settles down and you can get some rest and peace soon. Take care and hugs.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  8:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Her knees are not big at all. I checked all their knees just in case. She'll be 4 years old 4-24. And this is supposed to be her first kids. I'm not so sure about that now. And the other doe I got with her will be 4 in March. She's supposed to have had kids once before. She is very dry but has nice teats and looks like she'd have a nice milking udder. I'll just have to wait and see if Trudy gets over this soon.

Sandra, I have had 2 really good milkers for several years now. And I've kept my oldest doe's last 2 does. Zarah is due to kid soon. I can't wait to see how she turns out. I hope like her mom. And I also have kept Sandy's doe from last year too. I have to wait another year for those 2 young does to be bred. I'll not be keeping any of the doe kids this year. I say that now. We'll see.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  05:59:50 AM  Show Profile
I once had a goat that was perfectly healthy but she had small teats and took FOREVER to milk. I had to milk her with my pinkys and it NEVER got better....ugh. I sort of count when I get bored and it would take 180 squeezes on each side to milk her. I sold her, I couldn't take it anymore. These days many people breed goats for show and breed them with small teats and big bags cause it looks pretty but they are NO fun to milk. So anyway just a thought. Sometimes goats like that can be worked with and their teats develop. Kids nursing makes the problem worse, they have to be hand milked or the bag will never develop into something that can be milked. But that doesn't mean the kids can't nurse ok. Also some goats don't let down for anything but their kids. Since you are leaving the kids on her eventually then it will probably fix itself this year eventually, but is pretty likely you will have the same situation next year. Maybe just leave them alone and see if the kids will fix the problem. Sorry you are going through this, it's not easy and so stressful.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  06:43:58 AM  Show Profile
Laura, I used to have a goat, Faith, that had a huge udder but the teats were like a triangle and she was SO hard to milk. It hurt so bad. It would be better if I had a machine I guess. But can't afford that. Anyway, it feels a little different this morning. I gave her another shot of LA200 and it hurt her. I felt so bad.

So not it's Abby. I had thought a few nights ago she was in labor. Checked on her several times but nothing. She was breathing real heavy. Then yesterday she was way out back and it was like she was having the hardest time walking. I had to go get her. I took a bucket of molasses water and she drank half of it there. Got her to the barn and stayed with her awhile. Then kept checking on her through the night.

Now I am thinking it's ketosis. So I have been drenching her with Nutri-drench, Red Cell, yogurt with calcium pills broken up in it, a shot of B Complex, lots of brown sugar-molasses water. I even read to put several drops of lavender EO around the barn to calm her. And Rescue Remedy too. So I'll do this twice a day.

Seems like she did this last year but she had gotten out in the yard and ate an azalea bush. But same symptoms as ketosis. My vet even said it was ketosis. I sure hope she gets through this. She'll be 11 in Feb. And this will be her LAST time to kid. Ever. I can't put her through this again. And me either. She just looks miserable. And her baby from last year is so concerned about her. It's so sweet.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  10:34:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kris my heart so goes out to you. I've never been able to save one from ketosis but it sounds like you are doing all the right things. I will say a prayer for her. You are doing a great job hang in there! 11 is really old and maybe shes just feeling her age and will be fine. Sometimes they get all heavy with kids and just look sooo pitiful, but are fine. I hope that is the case with her.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  11:03:36 AM  Show Profile
She was standing up awhile ago when I went to check on her. I brought her some more water and hay. Got the other goats out of the stall she's in. I just went to the store and got coem Karo syrup, which is what they said to use for ketosis, and more brown sugar, since they didn't have molasses there. So that should get ehr through. Plus all the other things I've been doing. And I really don't know when she should kid. That's what's so frustrating to me right now. I f I knew when she was bred, that would help alot.

I've been giving the kids a bottle of goat milk from milk I had frozen from last year. They are still nursing so are getting plenty and looking really good. Trydy looks good too. So hopefully she'll pull through this.

And to top it all off, it's been pouring and we are flooded. I have to cross a creek to get to the goat barn. So much fun! I went to the store in my muck boots, dirty farm jeans that have Nutri-drench on the legs, dirty farm jacket. I had to explain why I looked like I did. Why bother changing when it's pouring rain and I have to go right back out there again?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Oh, these goats! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page