Farm Chick Teri
Farm Chick

6 Posts

Teri
Washington
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2004 :  12:59:27 PM  Show Profile
I just heard something on the radio news that surprised me... Did you know that garden hoses contain lead in order to make them pliable? I guess some garden hose manufacturers are issuing warnings on their packaging to not drink from them. When interviewed, a representative said, "would you eat from a shovel". Of course, I don't use my hose to clean up after my dog either! While working in the garden on a hot summer day I usually cool off with a sip from the hose. Not any more!

Teri

http://www.thefarmchicks.com

sourjayne
worker bee

67 Posts

sarah
seattle washington
67 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2004 :  1:00:57 PM  Show Profile
I drank from many a hose as a child. Maybe that's what's wrong with me... hmmmm.....

Sarah (sourjayne)

No artificial sweeteners added.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2004 :  8:30:41 PM  Show Profile
Wow...can't even begin to count the times I have done that too!! Guess a water bottle along when I am in the garden will be a much better idea this year, and from now on!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 10 2004 :  08:46:38 AM  Show Profile
I believe you can find 100% rubber hoses to use in the garden - then you can drink from them as you shouldn't if you are using vinyl ones. But who wants to drink water from anything that's been lying around in the sun??? Better to use a non-polyvinyl chloride drinking bottle, better a glass one, put in some ice cubes and a bit of water, and a few herbal or mint tea bags, take that out to the garden with you, and make yourself some "sun" tea while you're doing your gardening work.

Cecelia in WNY

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 11 2004 :  09:17:39 AM  Show Profile
that DOES sound good.
Hey, I was wondering about using those same hoses (the vinyl ones) for watering my animals! I guess you could take it really far, but we drink milk from the goat and eat eggs from the chickens and all their water buckets are filled with those hoses!! Yikes!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 11 2004 :  4:14:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey, gals - here's what Consumer Reports had to say about hoses just this April 2004. Check it out at: http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv4.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=424367&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=155923
I have a hose labeled safe for drinking; however, all of my watering for the gardens is done from irrigation water, so there's no chance I'll be drinking that! Sun tea sounds like a terrific alternative, and one I've used quite often, along with my good old quart water bottle and filtered drinking water. Yes, I too long for the days when things were safer, or we were not aware of the dangers; but times have changed and we need to make the best choices possible!
Here's to good water! Cheers! Clare

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  9:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
There are potable water hoses, but I never really paid attention to the difference or why the manufacturers were worried about it. I just found this old topic. I am really glad I haven't been drinking out of my hose yet this year!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Hoses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page