True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  07:32:57 AM  Show Profile
http://kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com/2013/01/older-goats.html

I posted this this morning on my blog. If anyone has any words of wisdom, I would gladly take them. I am so worried about her. I just gave her some Red Cell and might give her a B Complex shot too. She just seems a little depressed.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  08:12:34 AM  Show Profile
Kristin after reading your blog story I would say to check for 2 things. 1 is she about to kid or 2 did she overeat a little and something didn't set right with her, but is feeling better now. Even an old goat or a goat that is being picked on will stay with the herd. Of course if she was somewhere different maybe she liked it and din't want to give it up..lol. It would probably be a good idea to make sure she has her overeating shot when you are sure she is feeling better. Till then keep her up and keep an eye on her so she doesn't eat more stuff shes not used to if that's the problem.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.nmbarrelhorses.com
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  08:18:15 AM  Show Profile
All the goats have been doing a good job of eating down all that overgrown mess out beside their yard. They always come back in with huge bellies, all filled up. I should give them all a CDT shot right now. Forgot about that. I'll do that tonight. She's probably got about 6 weeks to go if she is pregnant.

I was watching them just now and the other goats are standing between Abby and Zeeboo. So they know what's going on. Her 2 girls missed her too so they are right with her.

Thanks for helping, Laura.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  09:21:00 AM  Show Profile
I've never had one disappear, but I've had them hide within the pasture from a bully. I would lock her up, if possible, and watch. She may be aborting the pregnancy, or she may have just given up fighting with the interloper. Either way, she may need a bit more care and protection from now on.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  06:51:52 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, Kris. I hope today is better for you and that she is feeling better.

I've had goats that avoid being too close to the queen/bully but not completely avoid the whole herd. When I've had one go off by herself, she has usually been sick. I've had different outcomes with each one.

My first knee-jerk response is to give the goat a full drench of equal parts molasses and vegetable oil. Even if it's not what she really needs it sure can't hurt. The oil immediately helps with any digestive problem and the molasses gives an immediate jolt of vit B and iron. I also give some electrlytes and Pro-Bios. Plus, the Red Cell like you did.

I have found that even if the goat did not start off with digestive issues, they will develop issues because the original problem causes them to not eat or drink properly. So, boosting that system can help get her stronger to handle the original problem.

Last year, sadly, I lost my oldest milker, Mindy. She was about mid-pregnancy and just kept going downhill. In hindsight, I think it was ketosis or some other pregnancy/health related issue. She did give birth but died days after. Very sad.

I agree with Melina that you might should lock her up. It'll keep her from exerting energy and you can keep a close eye on her progress.

I know your Abby is special to you. Please keep us updated.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  07:49:03 AM  Show Profile
I did put her and her youngest kid in a stall last night. Just to be safe and no where she is. I had to move the bucks up front so I could put all the does in the back yard because they are all getting out now and I don't want the neighbor calling me. Or something to happen to them. They are all getting ready to kid soon.

Abby seems to be doing good today. I'll give her somemolasses water. I'd thought about that too.

I always wondered what people did with older goats. I had thought about finding a home she could go to where she could live the rest of her life. I know it sounds cold-hearted, but I don't have room (or the money) for a non-working or non-producing animal here. This is a working farm and everything here has a job to do, or they have to go. I only have 3 acres with a few borrowed acres for the sheep. Just like last fall, my very young laying age hens weren't laying eggs yet, so I sold them all. So I would eventually like to find a place Abby could go, like a retirement farm. But it would have to be a place where I could come visit too, so close by. And at this point, I'm really not positive she's going to kid. I'll know in a few months. I'm sorry if this sounds heartless, but that's the way it is. I do love Abby and she's been a great milking doe and has given me 2 beautiful does for future milkers. One is going to freshen in a month or so.

Anyway, thanks so much for all your suggestions.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  08:51:05 AM  Show Profile
http://kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com/2013/01/abby-and-her-devil-daughters.html

New post about Abby.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  10:30:06 AM  Show Profile
You don't sound cold-hearted at all. I think we all go through that stage, early on, when we can't get rid of any animal and end up feeding them into old age.....and 'wasting' a lot of money. Then after doing that a few times, we realize that some animals, although very well loved, must be looked at as a 'production item'. So, I understand.

I raise meat goats, too. For some reason, even though I name them and love them, I am emotionally able to have them processed for consumption. But, I just can't do it with my dairy girls. There's probably not much meat on them anyway. I spend so much time with them, talking to them, thinking they're listening to me. And they give so much of their trust to me to allow me to milk them every day. My bond with them is just different.

If there were any other people besides farmgirls reading what I just wrote about having a bond with goats, they would think I was looney!!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Older goats Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page