Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Advice on a Beginner Mandolin Book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Advice on a Beginner Mandolin Book Next Topic  

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  05:05:18 AM  Show Profile
Hello Farm Sisters,
After much yearning, I am taking the plunge and learning to play the mandolin. I found a nice beginner mandolin on Amazon. I need advice to choose a beginner book. I want to learn Bluegrass/country style. I already play the piano, flute and ukulele, so I understand music. Also what are the best style or brand replacement strings, picks and anything else I need to get started. I do not want to get my new instrument, then need to wait again while the needed accessories arrive.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Let all that you do, be done in love. I Corinthians 16:14

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  4:22:54 PM  Show Profile
Jenne,if you click on the link in my signature,you'll go to my online music store where I have wonderful beginning mandolin books already discounted and they are brand new! I would suggest "the American Mandolin Method" which is the book I'd use with students. A more inexpensive option would be the "Painless Mandolin Melodies" by Wayne Erbsen. I love the way he teaches. I do combine shipping and accept money orders and Paypal. Let me know if you need any other help-I play mandolin also!

http://www.mandolinbabe.biz

https://www.facebook.com/MandolinBabesPickinParlour

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,banjo pickin, autoharpin' & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  06:26:25 AM  Show Profile
Kentucky mandolins are awesome-and make sure the mandolin you get is set up to play-my 1st one wasn't and the seller made no mention of it-I think aside from violins that they're the only instrument that's not ready to play right off the shelf. Check for used ones at music stores. And be sure it's set up,or if you buy new,make sure it includes a proper setting up. It cost me an extra $65 to get my Kentucky set up right on top of buying it online. (tho it was worth it-it's a great little mando!
Strings-you may need to experiment with those. I love light ones- my high E strings are .008s,and they're made by a british company. Most folks like .009s. Black Diamond strings are good,as is D'addario. Phospher bronze makes most acoustic instruments just sing. Picks-heavy ones are best.
I play baritone uke and know a little flute tho the clarinet seems to suit me better. I love Old Time music as well as 1920's stuff,gypsy jazz,and blues. Hoping this helps you out.
What make of uke do you have? My bari is a Savannah.

mando pickin,uke strummin,clarinet playin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  11:49:47 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the additional information. I was a musical instrument geek in
Jr high and High school. (Which shows how old I am!) My sister played the clarinet.
Of course, I had to try that too, but I did not like the way it made my teeth vibrate.
I do not remember the brand of my ukulele. I got it from Sears in the early 70's. It was put in the basement when I left home and it came unglued when I finally looked for it again.
I was going to get a new one, but decided to go with the mandolin instead. I am left handed. Can I reverse the strings or do I need to do the left handed fret system?
Thank you for all the info. I will be ordering the books soon.
I also like music from the 20's, gypsy and folk music, such as Italian or olde English tunes, Country, 50's and ragtime.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  3:45:18 PM  Show Profile
The set up will need to be switched to left handed on the mando because of the bridge setting-when you pick one up,notice how the bridge slants. And it will be intonated which is really important on mandolins. FYI Sears had their silvertone ukes made by the Harmony Company for many many years. Older ukes do fall apart due to the glue. If you still have all the parts,it can be put back together providing the neck isn't twisted. Silvertone and Harmony ukes are just marvy! Harmony also made "Airline" ukes for Montgomery Ward. Reglue & be as good as new! BUt you do need a particular glue to do it-no Elmers or anything like that. I've done some work on refurbing ukes as I have a couple of vintage sopranos-the mahogany archback Harmony being my fave. And- if the shipping calculator in the store goes wonky,no worries. I always refund any shipping overage by personal check which goes with whatever is ordered.

mando pickin,uke strummin,clarinet playin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  08:37:32 AM  Show Profile
After doing a bit of research and watching online videos, I have discovered that a mandolin is played with the left hands over the frets doing the important work, which is how I would do it. I forget that I can be ambidextious (sp). I suppose I learned the right handed way and never realized lefties need to reverse it. Thanks.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Advice on a Beginner Mandolin Book Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page