Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Going Back to Cash/Check Only
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Going Back to Cash/Check Only Next Topic
Page: of 2

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  04:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Are any of you on a cash only basis right now?

Our account had fraudulent charges recently, and last night my cousin did, who lives not far from us.

For us, it was that they had my debit card number. I went back over my account, and had used it locally.

I talked to my brother, who is a police officer. I had a very interesting chat. I found out that a foreign group of people has sent folks to work for them in our area, skimming cards. These people get hired, then get access to being able to skim your card and get your information (gas pumps, local stores, restaurants etc). They can even carry a gadget in their pocket to skim your debit card.

I am seriously considering getting rid of the debit card, and going back to paper checks (for bills) and cash.

Has anyone else gotten rid of their debit cards? I'm told that it's the people who use it for everything, that are getting these fraudulent charges on their bank accounts.

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  05:05:26 AM  Show Profile
Not yet....but I do try to be careful....I live in a small town and only use my debit card locally, one credit card for gas and one for the Internet and only on Amazon. However, I still pay my bills with a check. When they ask for my account number on my checks, I put X's then the last four digits of the number. Good idea though and I am ready if it comes to that!

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  05:08:49 AM  Show Profile
I hear you loud and clear. Right before Christmas my son had a thousand dollars taken out of his account by a scammer. He buys a lot of stuff online so probably wasn't hard for somebody to get his info. My sister got her checking account wiped out, then a "lady" she works with stole her $$ out of her purse. Somebody I work with got their checking account wiped out, just went to check on his bank account and it was all gone. Theft, fraud and scams are rampant. What to do? You can't order online without a credit/debit card if they don't take Paypal. I was just talking to a friend a week ago and her Paypal account was hacked, somebody bought a $30,000.00 Rolex watch with her Paypal! I actually prefer paying cash but I do SO MUCH shopping online these days, you almost have to have a card. While I really appreciate the convenience of cards I'm beginning to think we've set ourselves up for massive theft opportunities by relying so heavily on this convenience. I rarely see anybody writing checks anymore, I pay a lot of bills online as well. There will always be theives unfortunately, taking what doesn't belong to them. I have a flea market/antique mall booth and have had things stolen right out of my booth. It's very upsetting.

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  05:16:03 AM  Show Profile
I don't pay my bills on line but use checks. I had some problems in Dec, 2012 with my credit card and was issued a new one. When I got my Jan bill there was a charge for over $3000 for tickets to Bolivia. I am now waiting for another credit card from my company.

I am more and more using cash for my regular purchases. I do use a credit card locally and I am cutting down on my online purchases because of the trouble I have been having with the credit card.

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  05:22:05 AM  Show Profile
There were a few cases locally, where these people had keys to the gas pump and put a card skimmer inside the gas pump. So, when folks swiped there card, they were getting skimmed too. I'm going back to cash only at the gas pump for sure. I don't know who I can trust, even locally.

Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  07:56:20 AM  Show Profile
Hmmmm.....I've had the thought to go cash in the back of my mind, but that's just where it stayed.....in the back of my mind. Now you girls really have me thinking though. It's been a while, but there was an issue with quite a few Michaels Craft Store locations where peoples cards were getting skimmed. I had just went shopping there right around this time so I was pretty nervous. Luckily, nothing happened to my accounts. That's when I started thinking about going debit cardless, but just never did.

I'm thinking maybe I should get one account and only keep several hundred dollars in it for using the debit card with. That way if it was tampered with, it wouldn't be such a blow financially. With all of the situations you listed above, were the people able to recover their money? Our bank seems to be good about that if you catch it right away.

Emily
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  08:02:55 AM  Show Profile
Thjs has happened to me as recently as November--and the first time my checking account/check card was compromised was about 5 years ago. It hasn't stopped me because we live in a place where cards are often easier. I gave up checks some time ago simply because of the cost--my bank charges $30 for checks! I pay all my bills online through a secure service through my bank, so it makes it sort of unnecessary. Admittedly, there are times when I'd like to have one on hand, though, for shopping at antique shows, or what have you, but then I rationalize that if I'd brought a check with me, I'd be out that much more money!!!

I do like using cash, but only for instore and restaurant purchases. I am most always with my wee one and when getting gas, paying right at the pump is a much more sensible option--not a fan of going into those quickmarts/gas stations since I was a small child and one was robbed while we were inside--and, in the cold weather, taking her in and out of the car seat just isn't feasible for me.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  09:18:20 AM  Show Profile
Everyone I talked to got their $$ back from the bank but it takes a couple weeks and that can really put you in a bind if you need your money now but no access to it until the situation is cleared up.

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  09:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
i had this happen to me too a while back. the bank did get my money back to me, and issued me a new card. i monitor our account every day now. and haven't had any more problems, but i have been going back to checks more and more.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  10:28:09 AM  Show Profile
Don't use anything but cash or eck!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  05:39:58 AM  Show Profile
Lucky for me, our account is low, and they only tried to take $2.67 (odd amount, but thankfully we are broke, and it's funny saying that I'm thankful for that).

Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  06:25:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm still old fashion & use cash or a check. I do use my credit card, but try to keep it low enough to pay off when we get the bill, and we don't even have a debit card. I think I could get in trouble by myself draining my account without the help of any theives! It is so sad, that we have to worry about people robbing us blind on a daily basis.
Beth
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  10:40:28 AM  Show Profile
I only pay cash, I dont write checks, found out if I do write a check only use gel ink pens. Thieves can buy a product at feed stores or hardware that will erase the ink off your checks and thieves can write whatever they want. I have a debit card but dont use ever. If I buy on line I get a loadable visa or mastercard and put money on it for whatever I buy. I just keep good receipts. Bills paid by money orders. So thats the way i do it. Don't have alot of money, but what I do have is mine.

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  5:45:44 PM  Show Profile
I do about the same thing, Marlee. If I don't have the cash, I think harder about buying something. I love what you said, "Don't have alot of money, but what I do have is mine." That's a great statement!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  08:18:24 AM  Show Profile
Money orders are also being scammed. Becareful of.someone wants to pay you with one. Haven't had too many problems with debit card but I monitor my account closely too. One of the things I saw on the national news is to check the gas pump where you pump gas. If the card reader is loose or doesn't feel right, then don't use it and either pay inside or go to a different station if possible. Same with outside ATM machines. You're better using the one on the foyer or lobby for the same reason.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  3:47:00 PM  Show Profile
Well has everyone heard the new scam going on here , I dont know about about anywhere else.
Some one call's and tells you there is a warrant out for your arrest but will want your personal info if you want to take care of the fines,etc over the phone. Then ask for s.s. phone , full name , addy etc and you can pay by credit card, check .
The news was on and alot of people had been calling the police about it.

Hugs Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  6:28:47 PM  Show Profile
I pay $7 a month for a protection svc that covers all of my accts. Peace of mind if nothing else.

We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

Edited by - nubidane on Jan 23 2013 6:29:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  6:36:31 PM  Show Profile
Here's a link.
Covers pretty much everything.
http://www.zanderins.com/idtheft/idtheft.aspx

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  10:58:18 AM  Show Profile
Anyone who calls u and wants info about u, hang up! Got a call recently from someone claiming to be microsoft. Knowing this was a scam, hubby messed with the lady on the line.the lady said she needed him to sign on laptop to a site to check out a problem. They want you to go to the web site and then they put spam on and u pay to get rid of it. I googled the phone number while hubby was talking and said just hang up. Someone is trying to use my sister's name ss# to get money. She passed away 7 years ago. I've told her daughter to be aware this is going on. I think the person trying to get money is her ex, as he would be the only one to know my address/phone. NEVER give anyone info about u or acct or anything!!!!! I pay bills with a check. someone got my debit card for that free credit scam. Now pay with cash orr when I use cc, pay it off next day.

Find something beautiful in everyday!
And STYX rocks!
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2013 :  04:55:11 AM  Show Profile
I have been considering cash and checks because we just mindlessly spend with the debit card. If we only used cash when it was gone that's it.

~Cathy~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/
http://adaywithnonnaandboompa.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2013 :  05:44:08 AM  Show Profile
I do utilize an easy way to minimize debit or credit card theft at the gas station. I use my debit card and as soon as I fill the tank and get my receipt, I immediately press clear on the data panel. If you don't clear the transaction, your credit card number and access to your account is available to the cashier/clerk or next customer until that pump is used again.
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2013 :  06:10:37 AM  Show Profile
Lots of good sound advice here. I need to make some changes too. Has anyone heard about the new charges for using a credit card or maybe a debit card. (I cannot remember if one or both.) It starts Sunday and is effective in 40 states. Charges can be up to $4.00.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Let all that you do, be done in love. I Corinthians 16:14
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2013 :  08:22:10 AM  Show Profile
We had the same problem last year, too, Kristina. I'm so sorry you and our farmgirl sisters have had similar experiences. We have been paying our bills through our bank online, we do use checks for purchases of items for more expensive items or for purchases which make receipts a necessity (medical co-pays, for example), and we use cash as often as possible. The only thing is, we don't keep a lot of cash on hand because it just doesn't seem like a safe thing to do where we live. We also don't keep a lot of money in our checking account. We try to keep money in one place and transfer it to another as needed so that there is very little chance of immediate access for thieves, if that makes sense. I also vigilantly keep watch over all accounts on a daily basis, just in case. I want to catch things as they're happening - not days later. I'd do all cash if it were up to me, but it truthfully just isn't practical. And checks aren't the best payment form for us for paying bills because our mail is THE pits and totally unreliable. It just seems very unwise nowadays to put all of one's eggs in any single basket to go to market, you know what I mean? Our experience last year really freaked me out, and we have been much more cautious since. It blows my mind what is happening out there. We just have to do the best we can do. I'm sure you will figure out what's best for you, too! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  08:20:55 AM  Show Profile
Just a little tidbit - they do have special envelopes to put your credit cards and debit cards into protect them from pocket readers. You can also use tin foil. Just wrap the card in tin foil. I only have 1 card and it's a debit card. It was hacked on January 1 of this year and is currently under investigation. They used it for a $1 test on Groupon and tried to use it for a $272 purchase on Walmart.com and it came out of Bolingbrook, IL about 3 1/2 hours from here. My bank caught it and stopped it, but I had to get a new card. We are trying to go back to using cash and checks, but around people get really nasty if they have to wait on you to write a check! I try to have them filled out as much as possible while I am waiting in line - but dang!

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  2:33:04 PM  Show Profile
Please explain this envelope? Do you keep it on your card when you swipe it? Will that work at the gas pump?

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  8:47:52 PM  Show Profile
I mainly use cash. BUT, also gift certificates.

Here's my way-

Ok I mainly shop at local stores, I don't like to use cc's there because 1. The bank/cc charges them so much and they aren't big corps and just trying to make it. 2. most wont' take CC's for any purchase less then 20 dollars because of the charge.

So what we do so we aren't leaving the house with hundreds of dollars in cash with us-I don't like to use checks cause my DH likes to do the checking account and he's not that good at balancing the check book, it would be a mess if I used checks cause of that. Any way, what we do is buy LOTS of gift certificates. Even the small local places here usually sell them. PLUS it's usually to my benefit to buy them. Most times it's at least 20 percent savings at the local places-will sell me a 50 dollar GC for 40 dollars cash. Then for the bigger places we buy the GCs at our local Krogers cause they quadruple our gas points-gas points can be exchanged for so many cents off a gallon at the pump. So to us GCs make sense all the way around-we aren't carrying around tons of cash, plus we actually are saving money! (ie either the 20 percent savings, or the gas points).

Online I also try to use gc's, but that is the only place I do sometimes use a debit card-when I absolutely have to. But, mainly I use GC's and my paypal (paypal account does have a cc/debit card connected to it, but I mainly use the cash that is direct deposited into my paypal account for one of my jobs).

We've been doing the cash/check only for about 6 years now. The GC's have become gradually part of our main staple starting about 6 years ago, and with in the last 1 to 2 years has become our main currency.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Going Back to Cash/Check Only Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page