Anne in MN
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Anne
Golden Valley Minnesota
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2013 :  10:49:50 AM  Show Profile
My mother taught me to tatt when I was a young girl growing up on the farm in Northern Minnesota. Today I tatt little dainty flowers and apply them to cards along with watercolors. Am wondering if anyone is still tatting around the world?

And A Butterfly

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2013 :  1:03:15 PM  Show Profile
I don't really know what that is? Could you explain?
Always love to learn new things!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2013 :  1:04:33 PM  Show Profile
I dont but want to learn. Thinking about taking a class through craftsy.com

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7586 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7586 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2013 :  1:21:22 PM  Show Profile
I got a DVD and book on how to Tatt and tried it a little, It is so pretty, It is good you can do it.
It is a beautiful craft.
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2013 :  1:31:40 PM  Show Profile
I love to tatt! I still think I'm a beginner, I've only been doing it for a bit. I learned from a book, with a video. A friend of mine in my Church in Texas use to make things all the time, and I thought is was so pretty.
Blessings

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2013 :  2:50:29 PM  Show Profile
I love tatting! I've made mostly edgings, snowflakes and small doilies so far. I've even dabbled with adding beads on a few projects. I am a needle tatter...for the life of me I cannot figure out how to tat with a shuttle. Mary Jane has a really good tutorial for needle tatting in her Stitching Room book which is how I taught myself to tat. I've been working on the final project for my tatting badge.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2013 :  4:28:46 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to look up tatting. I think I know the thread/yarn one uses. I have lots of that, inherited. Sounds interesting. I love to crochet, so I may like to tat. Thanks for the information.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Anne in MN
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Anne
Golden Valley Minnesota
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2013 :  4:34:18 PM  Show Profile
Tatting is using a shuttle placed inside of a bobbin wound with tatting cotton thread and using the shuttle to tie knots on a circle. A knot is an overhand throw of thread and an underhand throw of thread, thus, making a knot. Then when the desired amount of petals (in the work I do) or whatever pattern is reached, the circle is pulled closed. There is a hook on the end of some shuttle for pulling work together as in the case of edgings, doilies, etc. The thread comes in all colors and is wound on small spools.

Have never done needle tatting and have not seen MJ's tatting in her book. Hope this helps explain tatting.

Anne in MN

And A Butterfly
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7586 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7586 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2013 :  8:40:01 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn
I sent you an email.
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2013 :  12:43:46 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane's sewing book has directions on how to tat. Alee learned and does wonderful work or used to. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2013 :  12:47:20 PM  Show Profile
That's on my list of things to teach myself - have the DVDs, the threads, the hankies to eadge and the needles and shuttles, just have to sit down and do it. Just think it's one of those "lost arts" that our granny's use to do in the old days, but is making a come back. The work is so beautiful and when I find something with tatting on it at a thrift store I buy it "just because" - won't use it because I just think it's too darling and keep it wrapped up in tissue.
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Do You Tatt? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page