Author Marketplace: Previous Topic Diversifying Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2013 :  07:58:27 AM  Show Profile
Hubby had an orchard when we married, and we had planted a few lavender plants. Well, I've expanded that planting to almost 500 plants and this year was our first year of distilling oil. I admit I love the hydrosol (the by-product from distillation) the best. I've used it on the baby's diaper rash and sun burn to great success. I've also been able to make sachets, bath bags, and combine them into gift bags.

This was a great learning year. I worked with a local soap maker that always bought her lavender essential oil on-line. (There is little regulation for essential oil and manufacturers can add up to 90% carrier oil (olive, coconut, etc.) and without disclaiming they have still call it essential oil. She used a lot less oil when she used the pure oil I gave her to play with.

Right now I am working on updating the website to include the lavender and this year hope to have even more. If you are in the need for lavender product keep an eye out for what goes up. I"m excited by this new venture.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2013 :  09:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
YAY for you Laurie! That should be a wonderful addition to what you're doing. I'll be interested in your products as well.
LOVE the sachet you gave me this past summer!
You go girl . . . and Ed!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2013 :  2:57:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh Laurie,
In my dream world I have fields of Lavender. It smells so heavenly. I so admire what you are doing and will check out your products. I LOVE the smell of lavender. Do you have any to cook with? I bought some recently and made lavender butter and lavender honey and it was SO good. I'll be so interested to hear more about your business. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  09:47:48 AM  Show Profile
I do have several culinary varieties and am playing with lavender infused hot chocolate right now. It's yummy!

Laurie

Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  3:13:50 PM  Show Profile
I recently went to a coffee roaster while passing through Pittsburgh, PA and they also made their own simple syrups to make their lattes with and one of them was lavender vanilla. I had to try it because lavender is just not a flavor I would think wouldpair well with coffee. I was pleasantly surprised. It was yummy!! And lavender lemonade is always amazing, of course. It's one of my favorite summer treats :)

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05), Bennett (7/11/07), Truman (7/28/09) and baby Graeme (11/29/12)
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  5:43:56 PM  Show Profile
Updated the website so you can start to see what lavender products will be available. This year we will also offer fruit fro shipping so those of you that can't get good fresh fruit, give us a holler, or a phone call if you can't yell that far.

Laurie

Go to Top of Page
  Marketplace: Previous Topic Diversifying Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page