HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2013 :  06:06:19 AM  Show Profile
It was a cover of her magazine. I loved her style of dress, and thought that is me. Where does she find these romantic prairie classic clothes? Then I opened the magazine and was hooked on everthing else. lol

The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2013 :  11:35:07 AM  Show Profile
Tiana, I had a similar experience! After reading the first issue I purchases, I was beyond excited about finding something that resonated with so many parts of me. It has been a wonderful journey and learning experience for me. Welcome to the MJF Connection!

Winnie #3109
'Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2013 :  03:34:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for Winnie for the welcome! I know I can't wait for the next issue to come out to see whats new, and the ideas she has inspired in me are great. :)

The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2013 :  1:25:08 PM  Show Profile
Yes, indeed. And then I discovered the multiple layers to the MaryJane Farmgirl experience. In addition to her magazines, her books are so informative, and then the continued learning from the farmgirl sisters. Here I have learned so many things that were never taught me. I learned to can and now have begun using a dehydrator. I learned recipes and tips to save me from having to depend on products that are being sold with too many additives and at too high a cost for what they were. I learned how to create an amazing pantry. I learned how to make my own so to speak from health remedies, cleaning, cooking and into the garden. I have grown so much (even at age 60) and learned much useful information that has enriched my domestic living. I was already into cooking from scratch and repurposing, but now my mind and eyes just see more ways to use an item than before...it a good training course filled with a genuine wish for wellbeing from the sisterhood. Thank you all! I appreciate your knowledge and sharing with us.
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2013 :  9:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
I too cannot wait for the next issue!! I felt as tho I had found girls who know what I feel and feel a bond even tho I have not met any of them. I too am in my 60's...and learned to cook from scratch when I was young..mostly from my gma..and she too had her own salves and polices she used and other remedies from her mama. ienjoy the boards and feel connected.I too will say. .. Thank you MaryJane..You are a treasure!" and welcome Miss Annie...Blessings Nana Shirl

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2013 :  5:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
I love growing food and flowers. Aprons were a lost art and attire but I see them coming back. I would love to see more about how to have a nice patio garden in the big city for those who are not able to retire to the country as I have recently.
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2013 :  08:57:14 AM  Show Profile
I have had and have seen some beautiful patio gardens. Every little bit helps doesn't it?

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  12:25:13 PM  Show Profile
I was in a farm supply store and saw Mary Jane's Magazine and immediately fell in love with it. All of it! It has become my very favorite magazine of all.

Lavender Rose aka Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy--good or bad.
Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

ranerider
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Barb
Shell Lake WI
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  4:18:44 PM  Show Profile
I was drawn to the magazine and topics of things natural . Then I saw the sisterhood and the idea of grown up Girl Scouts to learn new things sounded fun so I joined. I am finishing school and a hard year with other things and wantFUN! Glamping looks like a blast
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2013 :  08:03:59 AM  Show Profile
Oh how neat that the magazine influenced so many of you to come to the forum.
I have to laugh a little, whenever I am asked this question. I always answer "My Mom." My mom (levisgrammy) came to visit when my first son was born and in between helping with the diaper changes, feedings, and taking care of my daughter, she would hop online to check in with this site and work on her redwork embroidery. She told me all about her farmsisters and the different things they did like swaps, RAOKs, and the many things she was learning. It took me a while, but I finally signed up and was steady for a long time. I found so many new girlfriends and fell in love with this site and the people in it. I have been away for about a year, but I was so excited to get situated enough again to be able to hop on and start right in again! :D
hugs Jessie

P.S. A big welcome to you newer ladies! I look forward to getting to know you all!!

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

BeckyT
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Rebecca
Byhalia Ms
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2013 :  7:28:06 PM  Show Profile
I think the first thing that caught my eye was the magazine cover. It looked like something I could enjoy, and I was not mistaken. Every page drew me in and delighted me because I felt I had found other women of a kindred spirit. I love flowers and the great outdoors. I really hope to become a glamper. That sounds totally neat. I have yet to meet a "Sister" in my locale, but you all are just a few clicks away. Thank Mary Jane.
Go to Top of Page

Marie_Angelique
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Maria
Fort Leavenworth KS
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2014 :  2:59:04 PM  Show Profile
Same here! But really what drew me was that even though I was not raised a farmgirl, the magazine was so welcoming to every girl with a farmgirl heart. I loved it and it is why I keep coming back to it!

Maria {Sister #3030}
"If it does not nourish the soul, get rid of it."
www.thegoodlifegirl.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2014 :  4:18:13 PM  Show Profile
My sister, Audra Rose, told me about Mary Janes. I was in a bad spot emotionally so I didn't look into it right away. She kept telling me about all the art cards she had traded and the advice she had gotten. When I finally went to the website and browsed, I joined immediately. I enjoy the art swaps, gardening advice, homemaking tips and requests for advice. This group has helped me through that bad time and has helped me to become a better person. I am so grateful for the friendships of all the farmgirls.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6582 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6582 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2014 :  4:30:12 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Mary Janes Magazine is the reason I am a part of such a wonderful group of women, almost 6000 strong, now that is amazing to me. I have been a part of the forum for well over 4 years and I truly can not imagine my life without all the friends and sisters I have met through this wonderful woman.
She has touched all of our lives in one way or another and we are better farmgirls and women because of her, I believe.

One day I hope to meet Mary Jane in person, give her a big hug and thank her. Her Son Brian as well as he is awesome and always there for all of us and so helpful.

Here is a picture of one of my favorite MaryJanes Magazine covers, thank you MaryJane.

Have a beautiful week everyone.

Hugs,
Debbie

"BE KIND TO PEOPLE BECAUSE EVERYBODY YOU KNOW IS ENGAGED IN REALLY TOUGH BATTLES."

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Jun 01 2014 4:34:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2014 :  12:21:49 PM  Show Profile
It was the saying that a farmgirl is a condition of the heart. Growing up in the forties on the farm was very special to me. Farming has changed but women haven't. We are still strong,can-do,capable and willing. It's important to me to be connected to other women with the same outlook on life; love of the simple important things. Thank you Mary Jane for that. Keep up what you're doing.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic what drew me too MaryJanesFarm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page