Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 You know you are a farmgirl when............
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic You know you are a farmgirl when............ Next Topic  

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  7:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
I just received my copy of MaryJane's Wit and Wisdom, with the magnets. Very sweet little book. My favourite part was the Ýou know you are a farmgirl when....', especially liked Aunt Jenny's one about when you receive a wheelbarrow for a present and love it!
I have a couple of my own:

You know you are a famrgirl when you move house and wonder if there is any way to take your compost with you. Hubbie thought I was mad when I asked that one last time we moved!

You know you are a farmgirl when you are reading your two year old son a story and are thinking to yourself how you like the farmer's wife's apron and are mentally going through your fabric stash to think which fabrics to use to make it!

Does anyone else have any to share? Love to hear them!
Best wishes, farmgirls!
Jayne

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  7:58:04 PM  Show Profile
I have one similar to yours about reading the story. My daughters have a book that I simply am in love with. It is called "Queenie Farmer Had Fifteen Daughters". in it, Queenie does all of these things for her beloved prize herd-her fifteen daughters-and all within a week. So I guess my "you know you're a Farmgirl" is when you do innumerable amounts of things each week and each day for your own beloved prize herd without thinking of yourself first.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  8:16:12 PM  Show Profile
you know you are a farmgirl when..every time you get a vegetable from the store that has seeds in it..you look at it thinking"should I save those seeds to just go ahead and grow my own?"

You know you are a farmgirl when..you love kicking off your shoes and feeling the grass and sand between your toes and.. you love the smell of a good rain on the earth.. and the smell of new mown grass.

You know you are a farmgirl when..you can't wait to plant seeds for flowers or veggies.. even when you are stuck in the house sick with a cold and you are wishing you could get outside and feel the soil in your hands and be able to plot and plan where each plant will be planted in your garden.(happened to me last week..all week long I kept lonnging to get outside and not be sniffling and coughing..but able to get out and plant rose bushes and scatter wildflower seeds)

You know you are a farmgirl when..
you can remember your grandmothers aprons and now you can't wait to start wearing and making your own because there was just something about it that was so very special.

You know you are a farmgirl when..you start dreaming and planning what kind of chickens you'll have in your backyard even though you live in a suburb..and you think..well, even though I do..I still shall have fresh eggs!I still shall have some sort of connections to my farmgirl roots no matter where I am!

You know you are a farmgirl when..your goals now for your family and children are to teach them to learn how to work with their hands and to enjoy the things that are created by themselves and by others that have "heart" in them..and not mass produced items, but items and things that come from the "heart" and to take pride in both giving and recieving such type things.
To find the joy in saying.."I grew it myself!" or "I made it myself!"

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  04:51:59 AM  Show Profile
From the last chapter of Justin Isherwood's book- you know you are a farmgirl when you read this and you KNOW, you just KNOW, he is talking about you:

"Farmkids are not entirely human, you can see this if you look close. They angle out where they ought not. They will not take a polish. They are out of round and in places dirt clings secretly. They will if unattended go wading in a mud puddle, sidewalks do not appeal. Well they might grow up to be lawyers and doctors and CEOs, nurses, teachers, ministers, opera stars but out back, down deep, where the village can't see, they are yet and always farmkids.
You can observe, if you wish, (adult) farmkids trying to escape, driving north on a miserable, cold weekend to vacation at a cabin without plumbing or central air. See them with that longing look, staring out their car windows as they glide up the Interstate, remembering their father's farm, grandfather's, Uncle Fred's. How they used to, as a kid, spend the summer there; it had an apple tree from where they learned to fly, at least it seemed then like flight....

Maybe it is the potato patch remembered, the new calf, the dusty chicken coop, the summer of hay, the humid nights, the irrigation pipe; nobody warned them then they could never let go. Despite the PhD, who really ought to know better, and their job pays so well, benefits besides; the farm teases them yet. I have seen them going by on the road looking out of their windows, attached yet by unseen umbilical. Some hunt and imagine they are back, some collect quilts and jugs and Shaker furniture. They dream of a place some day, a house on the end of a lane, dog under the porch, wood shed, clothesline. They know it is an impossible vision, that white fenced pasture, the barn on the horizon, the plain square house. Scary when you really think about it, no amenities, no satellite dish, no computer, no built-in dishwasher, the floor in the kitchen linoleum for cripes sake. There a chicken block and a drowning pail and you don't event want to see where the sauerkraut came from. This is what makes them farmkids yet, they know the secret, terrible as it is. Behind it all, behind the automatic, behind touch pad and the mouse, behind the precooked, pre-fabbed, perma-press is an awful truth, a horrible truth. The truth is, for farmkids it doesn't matter. None of it matters; whatever civilization thinks it is or where it is going doesn't matter; how ever much itis polished up and smoothed over. They know this because they once were something else, someplace else, they were farmkids. Where what matters is the sparrow, the cows, and that green place out the window even if it is the pickle patch...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  12:12:26 AM  Show Profile
That's a lovely description - the farm life does grip you from the inside, doesn't it? I suppose that's why I've felt like a farmgirl whether living in a big city or in a small town - whether wearing heels and a crisp suit or irrigation boots and overalls...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  09:08:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh Brenda! That's me he's describing! (They collect quilts, hunt for jugs and Shaker furniture...) I miss it with every fiber of my being.
There is just something so pure,honest and satisfying that you don't realize what you've lost until you have left it behind. It isn't a lifestyle it is a way of life. I will have to look for his book.

As for the "You know you're a farmgirl..." In college a very chauvenistic landscape design prof. challenged the women in the class to drive a backhoe. A few minutes of panicked faces and I stepped up. "What do you want me to do with it?" I asked. He told me with a smug look on his face (as I climbed in the cab in my skirt and clogs).I dug the hole, turned it around (and wanted to dump the
load on his head) but very tactfully deposited it by his fancy loafers! I climbed out and asked him if there was any other equipment he needed a lesson on! (I know...naughty, naughty but sometimes those are the people you need to remind...we are capable!)
Now just don't ask me to fix one!!!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  9:58:08 PM  Show Profile
True story....You know you are a farmgirl when you are at the store and meet a friend and she brushes the hay off your coat and you laugh as you reach up and brush the hay out of her hair.

Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  10:15:50 PM  Show Profile
One time at church I had a pocket full of hay in my jacket. (I DO usually wear an old chore jacket for feeding the critters but had just thrown out a quick flake of extra hay to the goats) I reached in for a Kleenex and came out with a handful of alfalfa.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  8:38:25 PM  Show Profile
You know you're a farm girl when......

You can smell a horse with memories....

You're proudest of your kids and your pie recipe......

You wonder how the weather in Texas in affecting everyones hay crop......

You care about your fellow farm girls and fellow souls more than you care about damn stuff......... or shopping.......

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  01:56:35 AM  Show Profile
You know you're a farmgirl when:

You remember making your father proud of you by how hard you worked mucking the barn and keeping up with the boys.

You use farm math (eggs, hay etc) to explain algebra or other math concepts to your kids.

You can't wait for spring to stick your barefeet in freshly turned earth.

You make coats out of old sweat shirt sleeves for baby goats.

While out running errands you find an egg in your pocket.

The only time you have to answer posts is at 3 am while your up tending the woodstove.

Your alarm clock is several roosters and they don't understand "snooze".

Hubby asks you what's for dinner and you tell him "Rooster! Now go catch it!"

You explain animal breeding practices to your kids, explaining why you breed for certain characteristics, and as your daughter looks down to her size 12's she informs you that you should have married a man with smaller feet.

Babs

Country Egg
www.countryegg.com
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  06:55:08 AM  Show Profile
You know you're a farmgirl when the first thing that you wake up to in the morning is the fact that your half pint horses escaped to find greener pasture at the neigbors. You know that God is watching over you when you realize that they had their freedom all night, they weren't hit by a car in the rush of the morning traffic, and everyone is now safe where they belong. Wow do I feel covered by grace this morning!!!! Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  6:56:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the replies to this - makes me realise I am aiming for the right lifestyle!
Ann, so glad your horses weren't harmed during their escapade.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  7:33:38 PM  Show Profile
You know you are a farmgirl...when you hate the time change in the fall cause you know you can't come home after work and feed the horse, chickens, and cats in the evening cause it's too damn dark! I really miss the smell of my horse in the evenings...and the rub of the cats... evenings are my special quiet time with my critters...it's black as midnight by the time I come home.

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." President Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  05:15:33 AM  Show Profile
You know you're a farmgirl when you see an old galvanized watering trough at an estate sale, squeal with glee, buy it and bring it home, and you don't have an animal to drink from it! But, it was only $10 and it could not be passed up! So, picture it full of geraniums next spring. It will be beautiful. :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  07:56:15 AM  Show Profile
You know you're a farmgirl when your 3-year-old's version of super-fun outside playtime is announcing that he's going down to the sheep corrals to separate the ewes out, then proceeds to get his shepherd's crook and pretend that the chickens are sheep. Did I raise this child?!?!?!?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  7:22:07 PM  Show Profile
You know you're a farmgirl when you start up a conversation with a girl at the gas station just because you saw hay in the back of her truck - and of course, passed on the maryjanesfarm website info!

You also know you're a farmgirl when you're shoveling manure to put on your garden and you get excited when you see worms! This fall's labor adds to next spring's bounty!
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  06:42:49 AM  Show Profile
You know you're a farmgirl when you weep at the sunset over a cornfield.

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  07:01:25 AM  Show Profile
You know you're a farmgirl when you show everyone around how pretty your homemade jam is in the jar "look honey, see how pretty the red is when you hold it up to the window and let the sunshine through".

You know you're a farmgirl when you are at work (corporate job) and all you can think is - "at lunch I'll go to the local feed store and get some steer manure for the garden, I'll spread compost when I get home, I'll get the veggie beds ready for winter so I have nice soil by spring to plant"

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  7:27:25 PM  Show Profile
Anne,
I agree on the jam one - I think my hubby thinks I'm mad when I admire jams after I've made them! I guess I'm just so proud of them!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic You know you are a farmgirl when............ Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page