texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  07:08:59 AM  Show Profile
Morning! Has anyone else run into this problem? My dishes are coming out clean, but the glasses are stinky! There is no film. I rinse dirty dishes before placing in the dishwasher. I have used different kinds of dishwasher detergent, including eco-friendly and natural. Thinking it was that, I have since tried Cascade, pods, you-name-it. I took the dishwasher inside apart and cleaned out the catch-all and parts. Nothing. Put a bowl of vinegar in and ran a cycle. Worked well and for a few cycles, but now the smell is back. Cleaned out the sinks with vinegar and baking soda. Put vinegar in the dish dryer well. Still stinky glasses. Cleaned out the disposer with vinegar and baking soda. Making sure the door to the dishwasher is free of food and grime, and have sprayed down and wiped the inside with vinegar each time (who does that)? Ugh. All my effort and our drinking glasses smell like fishy water, unless I hand wash them before filling them. It's not our water, as it doesn't smell in glasses I hand wash. The dishwasher itself is not that old, but the store I bought it from closed shortly after I purchased it (was trying to support someone local). Anyone else run into this? What do you think it can be?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  07:30:14 AM  Show Profile
Are you using plastic glasses? It might be a problem with the plastic if so.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  12:41:18 PM  Show Profile
Nicole - I'm wondering if maybe the water just isn't reaching high enough into the upper rack to get deep inside the glasses? You might have to clean out a hose or the openings on the swingy-arm-spray-thingy that delivers the water to the upper rack (I don't know what it's called - my husband would giggle if he knew that's how I was describing it! LOL!). I did have this problem once a long time ago with another dishwasher, and resolved it by purchasing one of those chemical dishwasher cleaners at the grocery store. I try to stay away from that stuff nowadays, but if it would save me from having to pay for a service call or to buy a new machine, I'd give it a whirl! ;) Also, I know that some dishwashers have a pump that shoots the water into the upper rack, whereas others rely on the pump in the bottom of the machine t to have enough pressure to shoot the water up into that swingy-arm-spray-thingy into the upper rack. There might also be an issue with an internal pump mechanism? I'm not sure, but I hope this helps a little bit in putting you in the right direction! Keep us posted! Good luck! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jan 08 2013 12:41:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  8:04:03 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm...good thoughts, girls! Thank you.

We don't use any plastic in the house at all, but the door to my dishwasher is lined in plastic. Hmmm...wheels are turning. Will show DH this tomorrow and let ya know what we come up with! Something is funny, for sure, there!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  9:02:47 PM  Show Profile
You might want to get the filter out and either clean it or replace it. It wouldn't be where you'd have spotted it while doing your other cleaning of the interior. You might find your machine's specs online to find out how to get at it. You might have to get a replacement directly from the manufacturer, but you could also try a plumbing supply place or independent hardware store -- the old-fashioned kind where the old guy in the back knows how to do everything and what you need to do it ;)

Edited to add: I just noticed somewhere online that this can be a problem related to the hose that goes from the bottom of the dishwater up under the sink. It's supposed to have some kind of loop in it to control how food particles behave. Good luck figuring this out! Sounds weird...

Edited by - Rosemary on Jan 08 2013 9:08:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  06:15:22 AM  Show Profile
Ugh. So gross. It was my daughter trying to help. She was putting cat food cans in the dishwasher without rinsing them. (We have curbside recycling but we have critters too, so cans must be clean). I'm really grossed out. The hose with the grease trap was also loose....thanks Farmgirls for the help!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  06:33:34 AM  Show Profile
Glad your mystery is solved.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2013 :  09:34:48 AM  Show Profile
Wow that would do it. Glad your figured out what was wrong. I bet you are relieved.I would have offered some help but I had no clue on that one.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help! Stinky glasses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page