KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  12:29:37 PM  Show Profile
We are thinking about being totally crazy. We are looking at purchasing about 15-20 foot trailer probably a '68 or a '72 and moving us and our two little ones into it for about a month while we sort out our housing situation. My little ones are 2 and 4 so pretty comfy sharing a bed area and small space. My fear though is that it is January/February that we are looking at doing this. Oh, and we have a dog so things will be tight. My question is this: Does anyone have any good tips on keeping a trailer warm

It is a reaaaalllllyyyy long story of how we have come to this point but let's just say our rental is being sold, we want out, and the house we want isn't quite on the market yet. Another point, we'll only be doing this if they buy us out of our lease. Yes, we have one and could stay in our rental but we want out and away from these folks as soon as we can.

One last thing. Anyone have any tips on what to look for in a trailer? I've never dealt with them as all growing up my dad never thought that was "real" camping.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6610 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6610 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2013 :  06:04:51 AM  Show Profile
Katrina- I think some of the camping trailers can be outfitted with tiny wood stoves which would help keep you reasonably warm in a Nebraska winter. My guess is that travel trailers don't have a lot of insulation, especially the older ones, which could be problematic. Other issues will be water pipes freezing up as the trailer may not have the best protection. Without water, you cannot use the bathrooms or cook etc. This could be very problematic at 2am with a sick family member. If you decide that a camper is your best bet, maybe you can get some better information on these two concerns prior to making your decision to purchase. It sounds like your uncertain situation could potentially end up being longer that 1-2 months so you might want to make sure you could live in the trailer for an indefinite amount of time if need be. The other issue that comes to mind would be that trailers that are from 1968-1972 may have worn out electrical systems due to age, use , and possibly sitting unused for long periods of time. If you purchase an old trailer, could your husband re-wire it if need be? You can't safely be without electricity in one in the dead of winter because that might leave you without electrical heating devices.

Would you have other options that don't require a camper? Could you stay in one of the extended stay motels and put your belongings in storage? Most
of them have kitchens so you could cook meals. For 1-2 months, it might be the safest and ultimately the cheapest option. That way you would not have to invest precious dollars in an old camper that might end up costing you a bunch of money to make it usable in the dead of winter in Nebraska. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2013 :  06:38:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Winnie. Sound advice. As we look more into it I think we may get a newer trailer if we go that route. We could certainly restore an older trailer. I just would rather not do so on the fly while really needing the heat. The extended stay motel you talk about is certainly an option and a storage unit will be a must. These are both options if the folks buying our rental are willing to buy us out of our lease. We've offered to let them do that since they'd really like in here and their bank won't finance and "investment" property as opposed to a "primary residence." Plus we really want out of our lease but we just haven't found a place yet. Well, we've found several but we haven't found cooperative sellers. :( Such as life. We keep looking...

— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  8:49:22 PM  Show Profile
Katrina - see if you can find an RV show in your area. There are various models now that have 3 and 4 season insulation so you can live in them in colder climates. We were looking specifically at 5th Wheels the last couple times we've gone but I'm sure the technology is in other units as well. Make sure they're insulated in the flooring. Some of the newer models also have radiant heating in the floor which would help. Of course you have to go with what you can afford. Wrapping the pipes with heat tape would prevent frozen pipes and putting some type of skirting around the bottom would help insulate even if it's only hay bales. I just received Mary Jane's Glamping in the mail today and it has a ton of useful info on what to look for in older trailers so you might want to invest or borrow it from the library. Living in a camper is possible. When I was a child my family lived in a popup all summer and then in the fall we'd spend most of our weekends there also until the campground closed for the winter. Good luck.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  07:25:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! So far it is looking like we aren't (fingers crossed here) going to have to do this but we still want to get a trailer of some sort for camping. We now have summers off (hubby's a teacher) so we want to take the kids camping lots of places and we want to do lots of travelling. I'll have to take a look and see if our library has the new Glamping book. I hope. :) It's funny, I would know how to go about doing this stuff in a teepee or a tent but not a trailer. I spent the first several years of my life in a teepee all summer and into the fall and then periodically throughout my life. I love the teepee but it is a bit of a chore to set up, take down, and haul poles. I'd much prefer something I don't have to have as much space for. I love wall tents too but again canvas is heavy and the poles take up space. Plus we want to have real beds and a tub for the babies would be a nice luxury. I'll have to keep my eyes and ears open for the RV shows that are bound to be coming up soon.

— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Winter Glamping Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page