New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardening, Health and Wellness? Next Topic  

harvesttender
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

56 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2013 :  08:22:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm about to write a proposal to encourage some college students to volunteer their time to work (next summer) in a community garden. They're all health majors, and I'm thinking that I could motivate them by appealing to the 'healthiness' of working in a garden. Just wondering what thoughts anyone might offer. Thanks, and blessed new year to you from us in CT.

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2013 :  11:23:50 AM  Show Profile
One can get lots of vitamin D working out in the sun, be sure to use sun block. It's good exercise, lowers blood pressure in many people. I'm sure there are many others.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  04:47:51 AM  Show Profile
That is a wonderful idea/proposal! The college students can definitely benefit from getting their hands dirty. It will help them make the connection of good soil producing nutritious fruits and vegetables. And perhaps it will make them think of health in terms of prevention instead of or including medication. Good job!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2013 :  1:36:02 PM  Show Profile
I read recently, tho I am not sure where, that working in the dirt, excuse me, soil, exposes us to bacteria which strengthens our immune system. Also home grown or fresher food provides more nutrients.
Good Luck!

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  09:27:37 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea! Good luck in your venture...

It's all good!

http://mscountrygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

harvesttender
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

56 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  12:57:44 PM  Show Profile
You are all so very kind and supportive. Thank you for your ideas. Instinctively, we gardeners know that being outdoors, working the soil, and tending seeds to harvest, are natural and enriching activities that use our bodies, minds, and hearts. It's odd how our society has moved to a point where I need to "justify", in writing, what could possbily be the links between gardening, health, and wellness. But I'm up to it, and I'll get it done. Thanks again, good folks!
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  6:53:59 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a great idea, and I have one you might just add to it. What about having your college kids work a community garden that is for the benefit of a nursing/ assisted living facility. I had an elderly uncle that went into a nursing home only because he could not take care of his wife, and wanted to stay with her. He had always had a garden, and the nursing home would not let him plant one. Even a couple of pots of tomatoes would have made him happy. But no. Lots of these older people have always had gardens, and nothing would make them happier than scatching in the dirt, or even just watching a garden grow. My husband said it would give them something to live for, maybe just to get a bite of the first tomato. Something to think about. It would be a benefit to the students, the elderly and the community.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

joanieh
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Joan
Brinnon WA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  06:26:32 AM  Show Profile
The benefits of working in a garden are healthy in many ways! physical: exercise of the body, contact with beneficial bacteria, Vitamin D from the sun; emotional:connecting with other people you are working with, knowing that you are helping your community, and nutritional: the good nutrition from home-grown food! All I know is, I am never more content than when I am working in the garden on a nice day!
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  07:05:43 AM  Show Profile
I can't believe the nursing home said no! If the family looks at the resident rights they have a right to stuff like that. Here in Mississippi we have an omnibudsman who gets complaints like that and reminds the nursing homes that these people have rights. If no local nursing home would take the fruit of your labors I bet a local foodbank would.

It all comes back to the ground!

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  1:23:47 PM  Show Profile
I think the nursing home felt it might make more work for their employees, but if a group of student volunteers were doing the labor, they might agree. I know our local food bank would take the food, they take it from our church's garden, and lot's of others. But with the emphasize of local fresh food for institutional use, the nursing home might be able to take the produce.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardening, Health and Wellness? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page