Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Bells Palsey of the gut
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Bells Palsey of the gut Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2012 :  11:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone else struggle with their digestive tract working? Would love to know how to get it working again.

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2012 :  1:14:28 PM  Show Profile
Do not eat any fast foods or foods with preservatives and take a probiotic daily or eat something fermented daily (like fermented veggies, cabbage, kefir, etc...) Also, cut out sugars and eat lots of greens and whole grains along with lean proteins.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2012 :  1:17:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, I am so sorry you're dealing with this. Is it Lyme Disease related? I'm sure you've probably done research yourself and any suggestions I have would be basic and elementary, like..... Yogurt, Kefir, probiotics, etc. are all beneficial to the digestive tract....perhaps a cleanse......perhaps a raw food diet......herbs.....acupuncture.

I'll be praying for you.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2012 :  1:56:03 PM  Show Profile
I do just about all that Diane suggested. For me fermented is a nightmare and makes my candida worse! Go figure! I do take a pro-biotic daily and liquid vita/minerals.

Take digestive enzymes 30 minutes before a meal. If your thumb nails have ridges that is an indication of poor digestion. My daughter works at a health food store and has been through tons of training and courses. My homeopathic doctor suggests the same, so give that a try. A good brand is Enzymatica, close enough, just ask at your local health food store and they should know. They also have a questionnaire you fill out that targets which kind you need to take.

This is one of my thorns that I deal with daily. My bowels do not want to work. I've tried everything in the book and it will work once and then goes back to nope, ain't gonna cooperate! lol

Exercise is the last thing that I need to try if I can get the heart to behave itself. I suffer with Lyme disease and it is the culprit behind all the malfunctions in my body these days!

I've not eaten greens in a while. They thin my blood too much which creates another valve issue for me.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com

www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2013 :  5:20:06 PM  Show Profile
Mine is just old fashioned irritable bowel (IBS) with some GERD for humor. Mother Nature is a jokester!

For IBS -- Mine hates Milk (lactose issues common with IBS); Go to Whole Grains, Beans/lentils usually don't produce gas, Veggies & Fruit (whatever foods in these group Dr allows and your body tolerates). Some IBS people has gluten sensitivity too. Helps with too little and too much stimulation.

Eliminate fast food.. limit meat and fiberless foods/white flours. They clog.

Make friends with Olive Oil if tolerated. Some cultures "drink" some everyday. "A lubicant". Sound yucky to me, but could be talked into it. Good option is eating celery stalk by dipping it in seasoned oil as you eat.

And if all else fails...ask your DR. if you can use Miralax. It's NOT a laxative; it is an osmotic (brings moisture to the gut). The ONLY OTC recommended by my OBGYN and Gastro Dr's.

Irregularity is helped by movement too. Regular houshold activities is good -- lots of bending from the waist, twisting movements (think sweeping/vacuuming/floor washing); high-low bending. An active midsection seems to help. Even walking stimulates the digestive tract. THINK STATIONERY BIKE..

Activia DOES work. So does oatmeal with blueberries or Activia with blueberries.

So --these are my "tricks" to deal with a lazy gut and occasional spastic one. They have worked for me for the last 30 years and still work. STAY HYDRATED

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  06:37:47 AM  Show Profile
hi kem, first i am a little foggy headed this morn forgive me. i was born missing some very important dna stuff. so i have gut challenges right out of the shoot. when i was a child it was not understood. dna had to be found first. my opinion is EVERYTHING is preserved. look what is on the shelf. boxes bags cans dried stuff. then you get the weird foods. lunch meat, hotdogs, bread with a label says blueberry bread. NOPE blue berry bits ( soy,corn,wheat, corn syrup, artificial blueberry flavor and of course artificial flavor. NO BLUEBERRIES IN IT. total blueberry cereal NO BLUEBERRIES. eat fresh clean identifiable food. if you can organic. pure foods have live enzymes in them. naturally occurring, made to break down the plant or animal when the time comes. you also could have H-pylori bacteria in your gut. they thrive on acid creating foods. it is a simple blood test to see if the inflammation markers are there. i did have an over growth. treatment helped immensely. the miralaz will kill healthy bacteria. REAL fresh olive oil is delicious. most of what america buys is old. so if you want a light fresh fruity flavor search. california has some good ones. oils from across the ocean are old. we dip ciabatta bread in malt vinegar and raw cold pressed olive oil. sooo good and good for you. i use lacy le beau super dieters tea for 35 years now. it is cascara sigrata and senna etc. very strong go way easy first few times. some times it is the bowel wall becoming paralized. a little cascara will grip it ging again. again use with care. i milk cows and i think milk gets a bad rap. store milk in my opinion is poison. that said raw milk is wonderful. A-2 milk has a perfect protein cassien molecule. just like goat. raw milk is live with enzymes. the calcium is real. i have great bones at 62. i drink pure cream when i have eaten junk foods.. it settles me right down. 80 percent of milk in stores is dried powdered milk. they add water (from where is this water coming from they add back?) our food chain is made sick to make us sick so they can sell us drugs. please note this is jJUST MY HUMBLE EXPERIENCE AND OPINION. raw healthy foods heal not harm.....

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  06:58:15 AM  Show Profile
i wanted to add one more thing. for a soy milk or rice etc. to be in a soft carton on a shelf should scare us as people. how can real food sit in warm air. ITS DEAD FOOD the lining in the cartons is a plastic. known to mess with hormones big time. they take the food and cook it at 365 degrees till DEAD. if there was something alive in there it would rot. they hold that temp on the food for HOURS. we are eating dead foods that are killing us. so these preservatives STAY in the gut. they do not readily leave the gut. so there they are preserving your dinner. they interfere with tomorrows real food you might eat. they make it hard for your gut to do what it is supposed to. rot food down to build body up.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  08:02:58 AM  Show Profile
I do have Lyme. I also have Celiac Sprue. My bowels completely stopped after my 3rd surgery to remove kidney stones. Sadly, I am scheduled to have another kidney surgery very soon. I have a 9m and 1c stones on each side of kidneys. I have tried all the laxatives mentioned above and more. They used to work but now just make my stomach rumble and make me very ill. I do purified water enemas about every day and half to keep cleaned out. I feel like my nerves are damaged and paralyzed. I would love to find a Lyme friendly gastro to help me with these issues. I did find one online in Colorado Springs and am going to call this week to see if I can get in. I have had Lyme for decades and just diagnosed about a year ago. I am tired, weary, and my fight is fading. I just want a break. I also have a very painful cramping/bulging in my left buttock area. I am having a ultrasound and plain xray on Wednesday to see if I have a polyp, cysts, abcess, ect. I honesty hope they find something, I have had this terrible pain for about 4 years and It affects my sleep. I am up many nights because of pain. Sorry for the rant, but spent about 4 hours awake and in pain last night. I take Tramadol and ativan to help me sleep, it failed me last night.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  08:05:20 AM  Show Profile
Also, forgot to add that my diet is very restrictive. I eat nothing but fresh and frozen food. I have not eaten anything with sugar, white in color, or artificial anyting for four years. No box food in our house!!!!! I know the bacterial load is less and I detox constantly.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  08:11:29 AM  Show Profile
kem, i am so sorry you are suffering so badly. i wish i could hug you. what is your home like. some times carpet or a simple shampoo will have something that will trigger worse lyme. are you connected to marsha on here? she has lyme bad. if i can help at all please ask. hugs love and a prayer for you. i will carry you with me in my heart today. i will think of you often.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  5:03:45 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, thanks for the concern. Lyme is a wicked disease expecially when I have flares. For some reason I am in one right now. I would like to get in touch with Marsha and visit with her about her experience with Lyme. I will look for her. Does she just go by Marsha on this forum? Would you be willing to help me connect with her?
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  5:45:25 PM  Show Profile
i emailed her. she goes by marjean on here.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2013 :  10:02:48 PM  Show Profile
sherrye, Thanks for emailing her. I think I have contacted her and emailed back and forth a couple of times. I didn't realize she was Marjean. I hope the medical profession finds a cure soon.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  07:06:37 AM  Show Profile
i thought i would stop by and see how your doing today? hope this will be a good day for you. we are warmer. i am so glad my work clothes weigh a ton. LOL sending hugs and hope for happier days ahead.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Sheepless in Seattle
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Paula
Everett WA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  1:20:17 PM  Show Profile
Are digestive enzymes and probiotics the same thing? I am having some of these same issues, but things aren't clogged up, it's the opposite. Have started taking probiotics, will be seeing an allergist but can't get in for 3 weeks, stopped gluten, dairy, corn, normal life and do have that ridge on my thumbnail - I had wondered about that.

Paula
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2013 :  12:00:07 PM  Show Profile
this is just my opinion. i think a good pro-biotic is best. it is a variety of enzymes rather than certain specific ones. such as carb. enzymes or protein. just a thought. real is better too. so a lot of foods with live enzymes would help.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  05:11:43 AM  Show Profile
Slepless, I was interested to see you have the ridges on your thumbnails too. Does anyone else in your family have them. My grandmother did, I did, my daughter does, my siblings do, and now some of my grandchildren do. Obviously there is a genetic trait in our family. I wish I knew what causes them. I am wondering if it is a gastro trait, many of us who have this have gut issues.
Go to Top of Page

HemetGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

573 Posts

Terri
Hemet CA
USA
573 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  3:55:15 PM  Show Profile  Send HemetGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hi Gals, I have ridges on my thumbnails too but I found that since retiring and consciously moisturizing each nail they have disappeared from my right nail and are lessening on my left thumb nail.
As far as the GI stuff. I feel so much better eating things that are Gluten Free like oatmeal and the Chex cereals with soy milk.
Hope this helps.
Terri
Farmgirl # 4720
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Bells Palsey of the gut Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page