Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 "I never made a cheesecake," said my mother.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "I never made a cheesecake," said my mother. Next Topic  

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2012 :  07:19:26 AM  Show Profile
My DH loves cheesecake. He's a picky eater, so when he finds something he likes, I try to make the best of it.

I thought I'd make him a cheesecake to go with our Christmas dinner. So, while looking for recipes for side dishes and so forth on allrecipes.com, I found one for NY style cheese cake. Somewhere, in the back of my mind I remember my mother saying, "Oh, cheesecake's easy to make!" I think I must have missed the word, "mix" in her proclimation. I skimmed the recipe's ingredients and added them to my shopping list... but didn't read the whole set of instructions.

So, we because of work schedules, we decided to have our Chrismas Dinner on Sunday. We were going to fry a turkey, and I'd seasoned it the night before. I had plans for a nice salad, the traditionaly sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes, and I wanted to try a new recipe that involved sliced carrots and pears mixed together with a honey and nutmeg glaze. And, of course, the cheesecake.

I figured, I needed to make the cheesecake first, figuring I'd have to let it chill in the fridge so it could set. So I hauled out the four packages of cream cheese, and the other ingredients, and began to study the recipe. The first step was to use a "spring form" pan. I didn't have a spring form pan. Then I continued reading and saw that I had to bake it in the oven for an hour and then let it set in the turned-off oven for 5 hours!!! What??? 5 Hours? It was closing in on 11:00. I had time, but didn't realize all the warnings that came with this recipe... "mix, but don't overmix," "it may crack on top," "this recipe was okay, but not all that great," and more. UGH - so I decided to phone a friend... ahem.. mother.

My mom had been really sick, so I wanted to check in on her anyway. She got on the phone, and I said, "Mom, what's a spring form pan, and do I really need one for cheesecake?" "Well," she said, "you kinda need the pan, or it might stick to the bottom." I thought to myself, "Well I'll just use extra butter on the bottom, and if it sticks that's okay, as I'm not entering it in a contest or anything." I went on to gripe to her about having to leave it cooling in the oven for 5 hours. I said, "Do I really have to leave it in there that long?" (I mean, I never remember her doing that!) To which she replied, "I dunno, I never made a cheesecake!" WHAT? I KNOW she made cheesecake before, and I nearly called her a liar.

Then, as she giggled a little, she said innocently enough, "I always used a mix. I never made one from scratch." THERE's A MIX???

So after a good laugh, I still attempted to make my NY cheesecake without the spring form pan. It came out of the pie plate fine. But yes, it cracked on the top. No biggy...but it really didn't taste well at all. My step-son ate it with LOTS of cool whip on top, but it was bland, and really not good at all.

So, on Monday, I went out and bought a cheesecake out of spite.

Mix?

PS: The Carrots & Pears were WONDERFUL, and my DH RAVED over them!

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com

Edited by - MtnGrlByTheBay on Dec 26 2012 07:20:25 AM

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2012 :  1:19:10 PM  Show Profile
NY is bland, and kind of "different" I think it's a acquired taste. Especially if you are used to a mix! lol haha The mix is sweeter more vanilla-ish and softer etc.

I personally like both, but can see why people wouldn't like one or the other depending on what they are used to in their household.

As for a mix, one I really like that taste like a mix but usually is easy to have all the ingredients in the house with out having a mix per se is this one-you can use regular or low fat cream cheese instead of fat free and it will come out just s good if not better. I'm not to keen on the cherry sauce in this recipe...so I would skip that part of it. But, the actual cheesecake part of this I have made countless times as it's one of my favorite "mix" style cheesecakes-
http://reviewedrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/06/angies-creamy-cheesecake.html

For something a little extra special I like this one, but beware ONLY use low fat or regular cream cheese not the fat free it calls for, they reformulated fat free since this recipe was made, and it will no longer sit up with the new fat free cream cheese, you will have soup instead of "cake". lol

http://reviewedrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/06/million-dollar-coconut-pie_10.html

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2012 :  5:07:57 PM  Show Profile
Goodness, Erin. There are much easier cheesecakes recipes avalaible. I use the recipes in Kraft foods website. Love them. Or the Betty Crockery website.

Also I never use a Springfield pan. I make Graham cracker crust in a pie pan. Usually one batch of cheesecakes batter sui msk 2 pies. Depending on the recipe it does take 1 hour to 11/2 hours to bake and a few hours to cool.

Cheesecakes is not as scarey as it sounds. I never use lowfst or fat free cream cheese either. It changes the texture too much.

My family loves pumpkin cheesecakes.

Good luck and keep experimenting.
Arttir
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2012 :  4:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
i remember the first time my mother made a cheesecake from scratch, a very long time ago, it was a recipe in Southern Living. she didn't have a spring form pan, so off we went to the store to find one. after we found out what one was. we found one, and got all the ingredients, and read the recipe several times. the whole family was involved before it was done. but it turned out wonderful, because that was the recipe she used lots of times, before stuff like high blood pressure adn high cholesterol and diabetes settled in to live with her and dad.
i have made several differnet recipes and i agree with Arttie, they aren't hard just take a lot of time. but i think they are well worth the effort.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2012 :  5:13:35 PM  Show Profile
Erin! That's just too funny! I love your story! Your Mom reminds me of my own Mom - crack me up! :)

I just want to share with you my best friend's cheesecake recipe. She used to make it every year at the holidays when we lived back in RI, and now I do the same. We just made a whole bunch of them for our neighbors for Christmas, and EVERYONE loved them. Some I covered with cherry pie filling, some I left plain and delivered with bottles of raspberry syrup, and others I divided the toppings into three: strawberry jam, cherry pie filling and blueberry jam. The were a HUGE hit, so I'm confident that you will enjoy the recipe, too!

I made my own graham cracker crust from the Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook (pre-baking 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven), but you can make your crust from any recipe on the graham cracker box - OR buy them pre-made, whichever is easiest for you. I know my friend Melody occasionally made these in a springform pan (one recipe for the springform), but I like to divide it into two pie plates. It's totally up to you! :)

Melody’s Cheesecake

3 well beaten eggs
(2) 8 oz. pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1 c. sugar
¼ tsp. salt
1 T. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
3 c. sour cream
2 graham cracker crusts

Topping of your choice

Oven to 350° .

Combine eggs, cream cheese, sugar, salt, vanilla, and almond extract until smooth.

Blend in sour cream.

Pour into graham cracker crusts and bake 45 - 60 mins.

You will know cheesecake is done when you are able to slightly shake rack and the cheesecake moves slightly back and forth like set gelatin.

Cool.

Chill 4 - 5 hours.

Top with your favorite toppings and serve.

Super easy, believe me! I bet your hubby will love it!

Good luck!

Happy New Year!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Dec 27 2012 5:14:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2012 :  5:16:33 PM  Show Profile
BTW - in a pinch, my grandma used to make Jello boxed cheescake. It wasn't the real thing, but it sure hit the spot! ;)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2012 :  5:41:01 PM  Show Profile
Nini, to me from reading your recipe, I would concur that that one sounds like it would be lovely!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2012 :  6:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Erin, that is so funny, and your mom cracks me up!

Would you mind sharing the recipe for your pears and carrots? Sounds really good!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2012 :  10:17:47 AM  Show Profile
Yea! Jello mix cheesecakes right next to the Reece peanut butter deserts and lemon ones too. Baking isle usually on the top shelf. They are "ok" in a pinch and yes, lots sweeter.

You can sweeten the NY style up really well with home made jam smeared or dolloped over the top once its cooled just prior to serving. REALLY good this way.

Have never attempted a cheesecake myself either. I know too many friends who make them and will PAY them to save me the hassle!!

Happy it wasn't a total disaster
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2013 :  10:25:46 AM  Show Profile
I will certainly have to try cheese cake again using the recipes provided here. It's like a personal mission now!

Pears & Carrots: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/honey-glazed-carrots-and-pears/detail.aspx

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "I never made a cheesecake," said my mother. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page