KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  07:07:42 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any ideas for donating magazines? I've been receiving (for about 4 years now) Country Living, Country Home, Midwest Living, and Cooking Light and now I'm getting Blueprint. I don't think I'll renew my Cooking Light, but that hardly ends the issue! My husband is a musician, and a history nut and he has a ton of National Geographics lying around and he finally got rid of his "MOJO" collection (all 150 of them)-- he took them to a recording studio lobby! I would like to keep a couple, but can't possibly keep them all. There's just no room (see my post on organization :).
Have any of you had any luck donating them to charitable organizations, nursing homes or hospitals? I hate to just throw them out, but if that's what has to be done, I guess I will....

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  07:27:55 AM  Show Profile
check your local library or schools. They can always use magazines.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  07:42:52 AM  Show Profile
I am an art teacher and I LOVE to get used magazines! Great for collages etc. I bet your local art teacher would really appreciate! I like to use the National Geographic with my older kids. Sometimes the pictures are a little inappropriate for the younger ones.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  10:03:40 AM  Show Profile
You could give them to senior citizen homes,womens shelters, and like Jonnie said your Library, ours sells them for like .50 cents toward their Library fund.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

karlanee
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

8 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  10:23:55 AM  Show Profile
I recently started donating my old magazines to our local Women's Shelter. The women there are in hiding from an abusive partner. I am not allowed to know where it is, but came in contact with a volunteer that takes my magazines. I met her on my FreeCycle group.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  10:29:45 AM  Show Profile
These are all great ideas--I especially like the one about the womens shelter and senior citizens centers. If anyone needs a little light in their lives, it's them! I'll give a call around and see what I can come up with. I'll let you know--thanks, ladies!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  10:55:46 AM  Show Profile
OK, so I just phoned my local womens shelter (it's a little of everything, but mostly for abused women and children, and the woman I spoke to who handles donations "no thanks"...they didn't want any magazines--She wasn't overly friendly--so I called a nursing home that I know well, and they were thrilled....Go figure?! At least I found a place that's better than the garbage, because it's not like I can recycle them.

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  11:41:37 AM  Show Profile
you can always donate them to goodwill or salvation army. i've done that before.

you can also SELL magazines like that to antiques dealers .. i sell mine in the shoppe for a dollar each .. so even if you got .25 or .50 each for them .. that will give you some money to DONATE to the organization of your choice .. and all charitable causes take MONEY!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  11:56:57 AM  Show Profile
hospitals and clinics love them.

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  1:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Our local library keeps a box for old magazines. It is open to anybody to give or take.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  3:12:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jonni,

Do you or your hubby work outside the home? I took some old magazines of mine into work the other day, and they were gone before I knew it.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

ida
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

ida
camden ohio
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  5:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Send ida a Yahoo! Message
Hi! My sister who lives with us gets services through MRDD. The workshop where she works is always looking for old magazines for the clients to flip through when there is no piece work to do. Hope that helps!
Ida

Mom's Makin' Scents
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  6:17:33 PM  Show Profile
Teachers like old magazines for having the kids cut them up to make collages for anything from Art projects to English.

Sell them on eBay- you might be amazed how much you can get especially if any are old. I am amazed at the people who actually cut up really old magazines and sell them page by page!

Your idea of hospitals and nursing homes is a good one. How about the social security office? Department of Motor Vehicles? (Secretary of State for Michiganders) The lobby of the courthouse? the Bank loan office? Anywhere else where "important" people make lower-ranking citizens wait their turn...LOL

How about country/rural schools or libraries? They usually seem to have lower per-pupil or per-resident budgets than the bigger city ones.

And I think Rodale's magazines (prevention, Organic Gardening, etc.) had an exchange program with gardeners in Russia at one time, don't know if they still do. Your church missionary committee might have contacts overseas in other countries who could really use them to teach English. Who knows you could pick up an interesting pen pal!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  08:51:16 AM  Show Profile
Ok girls--took 70 magazines over to the nursing home, along with the last of the seasons' roses. I had enough roses for a couple of nice bouquets, and I had a few thrift store vases, so I asked the receptionist to give them to a resident who might not get any visitors, or put them in the lobby area. They were really happy to get the magazines, and she seemed really touched that someone would think of them. So, it's a win/win. And let me tell you how absolutely liberating it was to get them out of the house!!! I also took a load of things to Goodwill, but I always counteract my donation by going right in and shopping after I drop off my donation!!! I guess I could look at it like I'm donating in two different ways. Yeah. That's the way I'll look at it Thanks for all of your great suggestions!

Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help--too many magazines Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page