Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 HELEN apron pattern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic HELEN apron pattern Next Topic  

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  2:54:56 PM  Show Profile
Hello, ladies. I completed my first Helen apron from the Helen pattern available from MaryJanesfarm. First, I want to say that it is such a lovely pattern and turned into a charming apron. I used a large floral in pink and red on a light blue background with a small pink floral for the ruffle and tabs. I promise to post a picture later this week.

Here are some tips from working with this pattern:

If you are using a directional print, you may want to make separate pieces for the front and back and join at the shoulders to avoid upside down flowers or whatever is directional.

I am going to make neck facing pieces for the next aprons as I found it very difficult to turn the edge twice, even with clipping at the point. It was tight and had puckers where the dart is at the shoulder as well. This is for all those who are more "perfectionist" sewers.

Also, if you like a nice firm buttonhole with very little problems, use fusible interfacing for the tabs, one per tab.

I am a size 6 and the tabs were still too snug at the waistline. So, I am making extension tabs for each side (hence, the wait on the picture.) Next time I am just going to either make LONGER TABS or use the tie piece (for gifts, this would definitely be easier on sizing).

Hope these hints help you in making your own versions. It is really a lovely apron, very comfy, full coverage, cute with the ruffles on the pockets, useful with big pockets.

Country girl in NE PA

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  2:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
thanks for the tips

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  3:14:59 PM  Show Profile
Clare -- thanks so much for sharing your tips! I have this pattern and the tips will help when I am ready to make it. Never thought about the pattern being upside down on the back if cutting in one piece. I will definitely make facings. I hate doing fold over hems!

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  12:03:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!
We're so glad to hear you've made a Helen's Apron, Clare - it sounds so pretty! And thanks so much for the feedback - we'll have our pattern checker look at your suggestions and decide how to fit those into our pattern. We looked at the six Helen's Aprons we have here at the farm, and don't see any puckering problems on those. We made a deep clip on the shoulder all the way to the edge that took care of any puckering that might have happened on the neckline. The beauty of selling our patterns directly from the farm is that I can make changes on the patterns at any time, so we can take all of your feedback into consideration!

Thanks again.
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic HELEN apron pattern Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page