Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Mother-in-law's fall
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Mother-in-law's fall Next Topic  

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  12:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

I'm sorry, I haven't been on the forum for most of this year, but I decided to post this today. Maybe I need some farmgirl support. There's been a LOT going on:

In August, my mother-in-law fell down the stairs at her farmhouse. She wasn't supposed to be going up there, but she did this when she was alone. She suffered very traumatic injuries: broken neck, broken spine, broken sternum, 3 broken ribs, collapsed lung, and split her head open. She was in a trauma hospital in Toronto for 6 weeks, then sent to another Toronto hospital that specialized in weaning people off ventilators. They almost killed her there, and she is now back in the hospital closer to home, in ICU. She is ventilator dependent, but they have been trying to get her off it. It's been so hard, emotionally, financially, and physically draining, travelling to distant hospitals, and holding down a job and running a farm. This has been going on since the middle of August. Right now she is in a deep depression, and keeps trying to disconnect everything. She's refusing to do physiotherapy. She cannot speak, and still has the neck collar on, because her neck is not healing as well as it should. She is 88 years old. She keeps getting infections, which is typical with ventilators, and is currently on yet another antibiotic.

At this point they are calling a family meeting next week together with her, to discuss what she really wants to do.

This is a very pious woman who in her right mind would never think to end her life. But these are very difficult circumstances. It's so hard, she's conscious, alert, and aware. I'm so tired and confused. Technology is keeping her alive, but her quality of life is zero right now.

Some family members have been much more involved than others. My husband and I are there almost every day, while other children of hers visit once or twice a month. This is hard on us, too.

Has anyone else out there had to deal with medical situations like this?

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  12:23:11 PM  Show Profile
Yes my mother passed away in October from a broken neck due to severe Ostheoporosis. My mother in law just had surgery today from a fall on Monday. Thank Goodness she is close by in the hospital. The surgery went well . They had to repair a cracked vertibrae from the fall. She will be on a walker now from here on out. She is 85 years old and very frail. She was lucky that's all that broke said the surgeon. It is very stressful and hard taking care of our aging parents. i took care of mine for a very long time because she never drove . Also I had a handicapped sister that I had to care for along with her. I try to remember the saying that god will never give us more than we can handle. I know that God is waiting in the wings for me also and I will wear my Halo with pride as I stand beside the loved ones I have lost. Keep praying and remember to take a little time to care for your self.
God Bless You. Your family is in my prayers.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7625 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7625 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  2:29:56 PM  Show Profile
My prayers are going up for you Lori and your family with the choices that need to be made. My prayers are double for your MIL that God will give her strength in her health that she can get better and that she knows God and you are all there for her as she goes through all this.
Blessings to you all
Darlene

Dorinda my prayers are there for you all as welll.
love
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  3:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Lori . . . my sister had a terrible horseback riding accident in May 2006, with severe traumatic brain injury. She is totally disabled and totally dependent. She is being cared for at home which is best because a facility could not handle her. I worked as a full-time caregiver for her for over 4 years, just ending that "career" at the end of August this year. I cannot describe to you the price I paid for that, physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.
She is there, living and breathing . . . Many unanswered questions and I just cannot be her caregiver any more. I just need to be her sister.
I totally understand! And, I wish there were clear answers . . . it is SOOOOOOOO difficult!
I will pray for you and your family!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  3:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Prayers to you and your Mother-in-law. God Bless.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  4:51:58 PM  Show Profile
Prayers to you in this difficult time.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2012 :  5:04:20 PM  Show Profile
Lori-
My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. It is indeed a very difficult situation to go through. I myself had a rough year in 2010- loosing my grandfather in January and then being my dad's caregiver, but loosing him to his battle with cancer too in August.
I will pray that God shows you a clear direction, and that there is Peace among the family members during this difficut time.
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Mother-in-law's fall Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page