Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 pregnant and have heartburn!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic pregnant and have heartburn! Next Topic  

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  01:14:42 AM  Show Profile
The heartburn action has been getting really bad and I have about 9 weeks to go! My OB suggested I try taking Pepsid-AC and I tell you, it has been nothing short of miraculous! I was getting heartburn every single time I ate anything.. I was playing with portions, thinking that if I ate smaller but more frequent meals it would help. Nope. It gets really bad at night when I lay down, which is why I'm up now posting. This and I tend to get pregnancy induced insomnia toward the end like this..I'm convinced it is the body's way of changing its bio-rhythms. I have no problem with it..just the heartburn. I've also been taking Tums, which help for more mild symptoms. I had heartburn with my second baby but nothing quite like this. Wondering if any of you out there have also had issues with it and what kind of relief you found....thanks for letting me boo-hoo!
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  05:31:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh Julia you have a right to boo-hoo. I had it very bad also but being pregnant the Dr. said only tums some of the time. it was 15 years ago but maybe there is something better out there now. Its usually worse in the end. Call your Dr. & see what he says. Good luck. Its almost over.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  06:46:13 AM  Show Profile
Hello Julia,
You may find this topic on hearturn to be helpful.
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1817&SearchTerms=apple+cider+vinegar
It's about different remedies, one of them being apple cider vinegar. My mom uses this in this portion: 2 teaspoons diluted in about 4 ounces of water, followed by a chaser of a glassful of water. It's easier to take this way. There are other good remedies listed there, too.

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Edited by - Clare on Oct 08 2006 06:49:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  08:38:50 AM  Show Profile
Julia, Julia, Julia, I was just wondering about how your pregnancy is treating you! Sorry to hear about the heartburn and insomnia. I wish I had some tips to help, but I have no idea. Hopefully the link that Clare sent contains something that will offer you some relief. The last weeks are so difficult...or, they were for me. Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you. Nine more weeks. Breathe. Deeply.

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  08:44:08 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Julia,
I can relate to what you are going through. I had heartburn with all my pregnancies, but with the last one it was horrable. The only thing I could eat was strawberry ice cream (tums gave me temporary relief, but caused the heartburn to come back with a vengance later). The only advice I have is sleep in a recliner if you can. It will keep you in a more upright postion abd help keep all that acid where it belongs. Good luck.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  7:08:50 PM  Show Profile
Ladies! Thank you for the link and the ideas of apple cider vinegar..will give that a go for sure! I've also learned that eating dinner is not a good idea either.. I just get too full and my digestion is so slow now that I bloat out and feel miserable.. Instead, I've learned to eat a hearty lunch mid-day and then a snack and cut off the food late afternoon.. I'm usually in bed with the kids at 7 30 pm too..the insomnia is the root of the earlier bed time. Up several times at night and then wide awake around 3 or 4 am.. Just my body's way of getting ready.. The kids are so happy to have mama snuggling with them and honestly, by the time I get them all cuddled in the big bed and read stories, I'm so warm and cozy that its all I can do to drag myself out of bed.. Easier to just grab my book and read and hang with them.. It is so nice and I don't think I'll be able to have those wonderful moments with them forever!
Overall, doing great though..thanks again for the positive thoughts.. I'll keep you posted!
Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  8:00:33 PM  Show Profile
Julia, it sounds like things are going a little better..isn't the pepcid AC a life saver?!?! It sure saved me during that last tri-mester.
I am looking forward to your delivery, be sure to keep us posted...oh, and is there anything you need?

Love and light to you,
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  06:26:47 AM  Show Profile
Kate, How sweet of you! thank you...the pepsid AC is working wonders. I have heartburn only in the evening so I take one before dinner and all is just fine! These last 2 months should be pretty darn exciting and of course I'll keep you all posted! I don't need a thing...but thank you for asking. I have some girlfriends in town who are going to give me all the stuff that I had since given away myself like a bathtub, infant toys and some clothes. I haven't gone through all the things I have been saving and I suspect there are plenty of things..We have a few second hand stores in town that are just amazing for any last minute items!
Seeing Libbie's son recently posted really sent me down that quiet nursing mama road with a newborn. It is such a wonderful time. Our daughter is due December 10th...we are taking the month off to be with her as a family. My husband is planning to take the time off too..should be nice and cozy!
Many smiles and blessings....
Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic pregnant and have heartburn! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page