True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2005 :  9:24:27 PM  Show Profile
Hello
We have 2 spinning groups that meet once a month. One in the evening and the other during the day.
We knit , spin and sometimes even quilt or rug hook or just sit and talk.
Every July we have our night meeting during the day and we have a DYE DAY. We come early and stay late and dye wool all day long. Lots of Dye Pots set up all over the grass and we keep them full all day.It is a pot luck. I look forward to it every year. It is relaxing and lots of fun.
Does anyone else on the list have a spinning group.
I fany of you are in my area and spin ,please join us

Robin

" From sheep to handspun "

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2005 :  9:37:14 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, your group sounds great. I wish I knew even a couple gals close enough to get together to spin. I should start a little group who could do whatever they want and then maybe I could teach some of them to spin..get them started. I think it is so fun to have a group to do things together..they dying day sounds really fun!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2005 :  9:50:43 PM  Show Profile
If you don't have a group going,that is the best way to get one going. It doesn't matter if they don't spin let them work on what ever they want. It is mostly the idea of friends getting together and relaxing and being close to one another.And yes then you can teach someone to spin. You will be amazed at what you will figure out to do. We always have food, each person brings some to munch on. We even did a round robin. Five of us made a plain tea cosy and then passed them around for each of us to embellish in some way. We didn't look at our own for 4 months and then we got together and had a tea party and revealed our tea cosy's. THEY WERE DARLING and each friend had contributed something to the cosy. We also sent a little journal around with our cosy so each person could write a little something in the journal.
it was great
Robin

" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2005 :  09:34:56 AM  Show Profile
I belong to a spinning group that meets every 2nd and 4th Wednesday evening. We are encouraged to bring our other halves as some of the spinners are men and some are ladies and in a couple of cases both spin. It is kind of a couples social gathering where we sit and spin and visit. The host provides the treats for the week. I think I am going to ask about adding a dye day potluck to our summer meeting, that way those of us who are fairly new to this will have the opportunity to learn another aspect of the craft.
Sounds like a really fun day.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  8:28:38 PM  Show Profile
The nearest spinning groups to me are in bigger cities such as Gadsden or Birmingham and they meet like on Saturday AFTERNOONS way downtown....

I've tried to seek out other spinners in our county but so far have had no luck....may run a little notice in the newspaper where I'm editor....but so far haven't found anybody else around here that's even remotely interested! most people say, why do you bother with that when you can just go and buy yarn.......those are the same people who don't understand why I grow my vegetables, make goat milk soap, have my own laying hens, make a lot of my own clothes, etc. etc. etc.....

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Macleigh
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Tennessee
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  7:47:04 PM  Show Profile
Suzy,

Are you north of Gadsden? I'm in the Chattanooga area.

What kind of newspaper are you editor of?

Best,
Macleigh

Hope sustains the farmer. -- Old Proverb
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Spinning Group Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page